User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Advice needed

This would probably be more suited to a Hot Shot forum, but I'm not member of any of those.

I have an uncle who sells used farm equipment in some of the surrounding states. He's been getting away with doing nothing as far as the DOT #'s and such, but he finally got nailed the other day in AL. The fine wasn't bad, but they did tell him he better get compliant or they would get rough the next time.

My question is...what exactly does he need?

Here is the best description I can give off hand:

1. 1 ton truck w/32' gooseneck trailer.
2. Combined GVWR well over 26k.
3. Everything, including the truck, trailer and all freight on the trailer belongs soley to him.
4. He does have a class A CDL.
5. I think he's even running farm tags still. He claims that they were ok with that? He does have a farm, but that load of equipment sure isn't headed to it.

He's working on getting his DOT # now. I've advised him to keep a log book and get a DOT physical to keep with him also. I'm guessing that's as far as he'll go until they force him further. One of my main questions is that since he's over the 26k gvwr, won't they be looking for IFTA also?

Can anyone tell me exactly what he needs to be 100% compliant?

Thanks, Arky
Old 04-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Senior Board Member

I can answer one part of this.

A local DOT guy informed us that all vehicles 10,000 lbs GVW and above must have the DOT number displayed on the outside in plain view.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:49 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky
This would probably be more suited to a Hot Shot forum, but I'm not member of any of those.

I have an uncle who sells used farm equipment in some of the surrounding states. He's been getting away with doing nothing as far as the DOT #'s and such, but he finally got nailed the other day in AL. The fine wasn't bad, but they did tell him he better get compliant or they would get rough the next time.

My question is...what exactly does he need?

Here is the best description I can give off hand:

1. 1 ton truck w/32' gooseneck trailer.
2. Combined GVWR well over 26k.
3. Everything, including the truck, trailer and all freight on the trailer belongs soley to him.
4. He does have a class A CDL.
5. I think he's even running farm tags still. He claims that they were ok with that? He does have a farm, but that load of equipment sure isn't headed to it.

He's working on getting his DOT # now. I've advised him to keep a log book and get a DOT physical to keep with him also. I'm guessing that's as far as he'll go until they force him further. One of my main questions is that since he's over the 26k gvwr, won't they be looking for IFTA also?

Can anyone tell me exactly what he needs to be 100% compliant?

Thanks, Arky
not trying to be smart, but why didnt he ask the officer? he would be the most likely to know
by the way, how is your new gig going?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:46 PM

A good place to start would be the AL. state website.
If your uncle is hauling only his equipment for resale, he would be considered a Private Carrier. If he travels to surrounding states, there are two ways to cover the IFTA problem.

1. He can buy temporary permits as needed, for each state.
2. He can run his truck under IRP ( the International Registration Plan) and file quarterly IFTA reports with his base state (AL).

If he plans backhaul other people's freight, he will need MC authority and comply with FMCSA regulations.

A very good source of information is the front section of the Rand Mc Nally Motor Carriers Atlas. Has a very comprehensive list of phone numbers and individual state requirements. Should be able to buy one at the nearest truckstop.

"That 'gator is here, somewhere..."
Old 04-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
A local DOT guy informed us that all vehicles 10,000 lbs GVW and above must have the DOT number displayed on the outside in plain view.
Exactly, this is what got him pulled over. It's nothing new. I got nailed for the very smae thing just after they moved the threshold down to 10,000. I didn't know about it yet and it was before I got my CDL. I've been warning these guys (family members) ever since. They only get out of state maybe 8-10 times a year, so they try to slide by..LOL

Quote:
If your uncle is hauling only his equipment for resale, he would be considered a Private Carrier.
This is definitely the case. The only thing they ever bring back would be something purchased at the equipment auction.

Just for clarification: We live in AR and he was traveling to Elkton, TN. He ran Hwy 72 out of Memphis over to I-65N in AL. They busted him before he got to the TN state line.

Quote:
not trying to be smart, but why didnt he ask the officer?
Well, I wasn't there...BUT, I think they did discuss some of it. The problem is that everyone you talk to tells you something different it seems. You and I both know that those farms tags don't cut it either, but the trooper he was talking to didn't give it a second thought. I'm trying to find out just exactly what he needs to be legal, just so I can tell him. Then if he chooses to ignore some of it..I can say TOLD YA! :lol: :lol:

Quote:
by the way, how is your new gig going?
I'm happy at the moment. It's definitely been rough through the winter. I went through a couple of really rotten carriers (cheap freight, short (hhg) miles, pizz poor fsc, etc, etc.). I finally got signed on to the company where I wanted to be to start with. They wouldn't take me at first. They wanted 2 years exp. which I didn't have and still don't. For whatever reason, persistence paid off. I was talking to the guy one day and he asked me quite a few questions about where I was running, then he said something about sending an app. to the house. I asked why?, I still don't have 2 years. He says "yeah, but those guys are gonna kill you". I just laughed and said "ok" . I think I just wore 'em down...lol.

Anyway, it's still kinda mediocre at best. But, if freight picks up just a little bit, I think this one is gonna work out pretty good for me.

Thanks for askin'

And thanks for the help so far everyone

Arky
Old 04-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Arky...the easiest thing your friend can do, towards becoming compliant, is to travel the the state capitol..whichever state he lives in, and go into the Motor Carrier registration office. Most states have a good staff in those offices..and they will help him get correct.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:12 AM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

one of my buddies hotshots state to state, I'll give him a call tomorrow and see what info i can get for ya
Old 04-07-2008, 05:51 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

thx floored. Pretty horse...but I kinda liked the pretty girl picture better :roll: