User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 02:05 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Freightliner FLD vs. Century - MPG's

I was talking to Werner fleet sales two weeks ago in Atlanta and asked him about the mpg difference between XL Classics and Century's and he answered without hesitating, .5 mpg (6.0 to 6.2 for XL, 6.5 to 6.7 for Century).

I later did some figuring, assuming 100,000 miles driven per year, $3.25 per gallon for fuel, this difference amounts to nearly $4,000 per year.

I'm sure this isn't news to most of you, but I've been looking at some used FLD's and now I'm wondering if they're as bad as the XL's. Does anyone have any input on this?

BTW, I've only been in this business for a year but it is amazing the things I've learned and money I've saved by reading this board.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2008, 02:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Freightliner FLD vs. Century - MPG's

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep dixie blue
I was talking to Werner fleet sales two weeks ago in Atlanta and asked him about the mpg difference between XL Classics and Century's and he answered without hesitating, .5 mpg (6.0 to 6.2 for XL, 6.5 to 6.7 for Century).

I later did some figuring, assuming 100,000 miles driven per year, $3.25 per gallon for fuel, this difference amounts to nearly $4,000 per year.

I'm sure this isn't news to most of you, but I've been looking at some used FLD's and now I'm wondering if they're as bad as the XL's. Does anyone have any input on this?

BTW, I've only been in this business for a year but it is amazing the things I've learned and money I've saved by reading this board.

Thanks

fld and xl are the same truck, xl just has more chrome
Old 01-01-2008, 02:32 AM
Board Regular

Theres a lot of wind resistance with that square nose....in wind my FLD gets more like 4.5 to 5.5 When I had a century the same wind maybe 5.8 to 6.5
Old 01-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:

Thanks

FLD's have a set back front axle like a Century, and Classis XL's have a set forward front axle similar to a Pete 389 or a KW W900L. The FLD and Classic XL both share a common hood and body but are two totally different trucks.

IMO if I were going to choose between the FLD and the Century, I would choose the Century. Now If I were going to choose between a Freightliner or KW, Pete or Volvo I would take any of the latter three.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the input.

I guess I hadn't realized it before, but they are basically the same truck if you put pictures of each side by side, the XL just has a longer nose with, as you noted, a set forward axle.

I'm not necessarily a big fan of freightliner, but this will be my first truck and I need to buy as much moneymaker as I can for my budget.

I know a Century with a Detroit is probably the most economical choice as far as fuel efficiency, ease of finding parts, cost to repair, rebuild, etc.

Second choice would probably be an International 9400 with Detroit. I know GMAN has had good service from his International, though I believe he has a cat in it.

Have noticed that used trucks with a Cummins in them tend to be cheaper, but I've been told by a couple of mechanics that they just don't last as long before needing to be rebuilt. And that is a consideration with the age of the trucks that my budget puts me in.

The company I work for now is pretty much all Cat. Great power but iffy fuel mileage and parts and service are high.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeiatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:

Thanks

FLD's have a set back front axle like a Century, and Classis XL's have a set forward front axle similar to a Pete 389 or a KW W900L. The FLD and Classic XL both share a common hood and body but are two totally different trucks.

I meant as far as body style and wind resistance

IMO if I were going to choose between the FLD and the Century, I would choose the Century. Now If I were going to choose between a Freightliner or KW, Pete or Volvo I would take any of the latter three.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I agree with you on the MPG issue but what does this mean: ?

Quote:
I've been looking at some used FLD's and now I'm wondering if they're as bad as the XL's.
The only major problem I've had with my XL that has 674k on it was the #5 injector went out. I replaced all 6 with reman'd ones. I bought my XL from Fleet Truck Sales in Omaha, NE.

One could also argue that while the Century gets better MPG's, the Classic holds it's value somewhat more (albeit it's still a freightshaker) and rides much smoother due to the front axle being further forward than the Century. How much is your back worth? The Century has a shorter wheelbase though which makes backing easier.

Just some things to consider! :wink:
Old 01-01-2008, 10:44 PM

Was strictly talking about few mileage. Sorry if I was unclear.

Does anybody know what the difference is between a Century and a Columbia? I've been told that the Columbia is a slightly stripped down version of the Century??
Old 01-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Senior Board Member

I get 6.2 with my FLD Classic. Not an XL. (extended hood).
I could easily get 7 if I drove a bit more reserved. I do haul very light though. Also, it has a C-15 500hp with 13spd, 3.90's