User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Best State to base out of as an O/O?

Okay, so I'm looking at going O/O in a couple of years, in combination with a relocation to another state. Currently, I'm in Nevada, but sadly the tax and regulatory environment here continues to erode as ever more folks from other high-tax, high regulation states flee then foist the same madness on us. :tmad: Add to that the fact that Nevada is, essentially, just a vast black hole for trucks. They come in with stuff, but there aren't a lot of loads out.

So, what state(s) are the best for an O/O who'll be running 48 states?
Old 06-17-2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am not sure that I would base a major relocation solely on the amount of freight available in the area. The Midwest and Southeast is usually better for most freight. Florida is the exception. There is plenty of freight going in but not much coming out, at least that pays anything. As long as you live within reasonable proximity to a major interstate you should not have too much deadhead in those areas. Some states don't charge sales tax on class 8 equipment when you register them. TN and OK are two such states. There are several sources which list freight densities at any given time.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Board Regular

Also no state income tax in Tennessee. Currently TN has a budget surplus of several hundred-million dollars, of course that hasn't stopped lawmakers from discussing more new taxes/fees. Heaven forbid they should refund our money.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:45 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

That is true, Red Clay Rambler. Several years ago we had a surplus of about $7 Billion. A couple of years later they came back to us for more taxes. We have no toll roads (yet), no income tax and no sales tax on class 8 equipment. We do have one of the highest sales taxes in the U.S. In my county it is about 9.25%. :shock: I want them to reduce taxes. I suppose as states and taxes go, we have fairly low taxes in Tennessee.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Gman, I would be glad to pay an extra 2% in sales tax to get rid of our state income tax. I get clipped for $50.00 to $60.00 per week in state income taxes. I would have to spend ( and be taxed on ) $2,500.00 each week to equal $50.00 @ 2%. I know many people who live in Tn. on purpose and drive just across the line to Ga. just for that reason. That alone will fund my IRA each year.

Does Tn. exclude anything from the sales tax? In Ga. some things are excluded. Rx drugs, food, ect... Very small list of things.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Ridge Runner, right now class 8 equipment is the only thing I know of which is exempt. There has been some talk about exempting groceries or prescriptions, but nothing has gotten beyond the talk stage. This year we did have the tax free weekend to compete with Georgia at back to school time. I almost tagged my trucks in Georgia, but would have to pay the Ad Valorem tax each year plus pay sales tax on them. It is less expensive to just base in Tennessee. I keep a legal address in both states so it was a toss up. Paying less taxes won. :wink: Tennessee tried to sneak an income tax during the night about 3 years or so ago. All the soccer mom's got up in arms and they cancelled it. Tennessee cannot legally have a state income tax unless it is passed by popular vote. And I don't see that happening any time soon. I used to go across the border to buy my gas, but since Georgia raised their prices I can usually buy in Tennessee for the same price or less. At one time I could buy gas in Georgia for about $0.11-0.14/gallon less than in Tennessee. That is no longer the case.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Board Regular

I know a trucker who joined the soccer moms in marching around the State Capitol to voice opposition to a state income tax. :wink:
Old 06-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

These legislators were scared to death of the soccer mom's. There is a disc jockey on 1510 who was there when this happened. The newspapers showed the police dressed in swat or Guestapo attire nose to nose with the soccer mom's. The legislators tried to portray the mom's as terrorists or worst. It was funny that this DJ interviewed several of them and told exactly what was happening from the capitol. What a bunch of Winnie's. With all the police protection, they were terrified of some soccer mom's. I was going through Nashville a lot during this time. I wish I could recall the name of the DJ. Needless to say, he is not favored by the governor or politicians in Nashville. :lol:
Old 06-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I would vote for my state New Hampshire. No state tax, no sales tax and I never have a problem getting a good load out. My plates cost me $1,110 and when you do anything to do with your truck you sit down with a lady at the DMV and she does everything for you with a smile.

I personally don't think it should matter where you live. Once you get a load out, your out for 3 weeks.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Penn

While on this topic, how's Pennsylvania in this respect ?