User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any short & simple Carrier-Shipper Contracts?

I was wondering where I could find a short and simple Carrier-Shipper contract(agreement). I would greatly appreciate it if someone can direct me to a site or fax/email me their blank template to work from. The one I have is too long, I know it dosen't take all these technicalities and paragraphs to ship a load and get paid. I could be wrong though. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
[email protected]
Old 06-04-2007, 03:37 AM
Senior Board Member

I hauled direct for one shipper last year. The agreement basically said I agreed to pick-up at such and such and deliver by such and such for X amount of dollars :lol:

I knew the people so it was no big deal but I wouldn't hesitate to write up my own contract. Like you said, it really doesn't need to be terribly complicated.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Board Regular

http://www.truckers-mall.com/bill_of_lading/lading.htm

http://www.truckline.com/NR/exeres/7...524E80E653.htm
Old 06-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

A contract should be simple, short and concise. Unless you are hauling special commodities or freight which should need special handling, you should be able to put everything which will be legal and binding in a paragraph or two, unless you just want to put a lot of legalese into the agreement. I am always suspicious of anyone who feels that they need a 10 page agreement to haul a load of freight. All you need in any contract is the name and address of each party, terms of agreement (which should include payment terms), penalties for failure of parties to fulfill agreement, and signatures. Anything else is extraneous. You can put other charges or issues on any rate confirmation. Some of these companies have gone to complicated contracts which they hope no one will read. I read every contract before signing and change those things which I do not agree. If the other party doesn't want to abide by the new changes I don't sign. Just keep it simple. Just because you don't know the other party doesn't mean that a contract needs to be complicated. Customers appreciate simplicity. The main concern some brokers have is that you don't solicite their customers.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the link and replies. I'll begin writing up somthing short and simple explaining our terms and incorporate different variables. I just wanted to make sure I was on the same page as other carriers. I looked over that one contract on the ATA website (suppose to be universal), it is miserably long. lolzzzzzzz
[email protected]