User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 03:55 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default SBA loan

Good day, I am looking into starting my own transportation company. I will have the opportunity to purchase a 4 dump truck outfit and warehouse/garage. The building is currently used for truck storage and repair and also rental parking on the remainder of the land. The dump business is quite seasonal however the other areas are constant. Well the asking price is only between 175-200 K. I am also looking to purchase my own rig and trailer(s) to offset slow times. This is all in the very early stages of planning. My real question is has anyone ever had experience with a SBA loan? I am thinking maybe a loan of about 500K would give me enough to purchase everything and give me a cushion for all the legal fees and safty net. Any ideas would be great. THX mc
Old 05-29-2007, 07:00 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Forget SBA, they are the last people that will give you a loan unless you have a house worth that much that you can put up as collateral or a savings account with maybe $400,000 in it.

I tried SBA years ago and they pretty much said to go pound sand. I did get a loan for $600,000 but between myself and another person we put up $360,000 in collateral and that was a good sized local bank. Never took the loan though. It was for a car wash but the EPA would not give us a permit for the place so we never did it. Too close to a river and run off from the salt on the cars would go in the river.

We also had to write a business plan to present to the SBA and bank and you would have to do the same. Doesn't have to be very complicated but you do have to put in writing how you plan to be profitable. They will not give you money as a buffer either. You have to show considerable risk also.

Also, the money would probably come in stages and not all at once. The bank will break down your request and want to see you start small and prove you can do it. Unless you can make a case that you need all of it, your not going to get it.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:33 AM
Senior Board Member

sorry to digress, but what a business that carwashing. I sat for a 1/2 hour today during working hours to get a wash. I always figured that was a good business to buy into. I was talking to some Sikhs out in California at a truck wash and that doesn't seem to be too bad of a business either.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
sorry to digress, but what a business that carwashing. I sat for a 1/2 hour today during working hours to get a wash. I always figured that was a good business to buy into. I was talking to some Sikhs out in California at a truck wash and that doesn't seem to be too bad of a business either.
It can be good if your on the right street. You can almost be guaranteed a certain percentage of the traffic if the car wash is parallel to the street. It's an impulse thing, pull in, pull out. My buddy and I wanted to invest in a business that we could have someone else run while we still worked. You really rake it in on the extras like wax, wheels, rust inhibitor and all the other stuff that costs you nothing and you charge a lot more.

Maybe if my partners name wasn't Jim Morrison the plan wouldn't have died. You newbies won't get the joke.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is difficult to get an SBA loan without a lot of collateral. They don't finance big trucks, but you may work something out on the land. Unlike what you hear, they like to be heavy collateralized. If you have enough collateral as they want, you can usually get a loan from a lender without having to jump through so many hoops. I looked at SBA loans several years ago. That is what I was told.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Senior Board Member

Get your financial house in order and make sure you know what you're talking about and you can get an SBA loan. I had one on the table for a one-truck operation with no collateral other than the truck. I didn't take it because I got a better deal, but it can be done. You've got some homework to do though.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries
Get your financial house in order and make sure you know what you're talking about and you can get an SBA loan. I had one on the table for a one-truck operation with no collateral other than the truck. I didn't take it because I got a better deal, but it can be done. You've got some homework to do though.
The collateral was your truck, that's why they were going to give you the loan. My guess is that the truck was probably worth close to what the loan was to be for.

His problem is that he needs money to buy the equipment and start up which is not going to happen no matter how prepared he is.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
My guess is that the truck was probably worth close to what the loan was to be for.
I suppose that depends on what your definition of "close" is. The initial app was for $200,000 and their counter was for $175,000, which was significantly more than the truck cost. I was initially told, like GMAN said, they don't get involved with trucks. I'm just saying that's not necessarily the case.

He's got quite a bit of collateral in the deal. I agree that they're going to expect him to accept quite a bit of risk. But I assume he's not going in expecting to finance everything. SBA likes to see a decent down-payment in most cases. Don't shrug off the business plan. The more detailed and precise you can be, especially if you can back it up with the previous owner's numbers, the more attractive the deal looks.

Having said all this, if the deal is worth doing, you're better off going to a bank. The SBA is set up to be a lender of last resort. That means they're not there to give you a good deal, just to give you an avenue if you have nowhere else to go.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Rookie

Thank you all so much!!! I have smoke pouring out of my ears. Now I am just thinking on staging one before the other. That is get into a truck and build my numbers then pursue the other buisness. If I can show profit from my own truck then the chances of getting into the other would be greater. Now only to flease it or some how try to independantly purchase any ideas on that? Thanx mc
Old 06-01-2007, 12:08 AM
Rookie
Default SBA=HEADACHE

It is best to come up with your own capital. When we started our trucking comapny here in Jacksonville, we had a SCORE Representative and he told us that getting financing for trucks and trailers would be difficult. The SBA was unable to hep us even with excellent credit. They consider trucks and trailers uncontrollable investments meaning that the trucks can easily cross borders and the banks do not have the resources and time to repo big trucks, if needed. With that being said, it is difficult to obtain decent leases and financing from companies for your truck. Initially be prepared to pay high payments because of high interest until you get your feet wet in the business.

Good Luck!