User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Running in cold weather......

Im gonna be running from chicago/milwaukee to seattle, portland, west coast alot and am wondering what precautions to take in cold weather, and when does is start to snow in the west you know thru the mountains on I80 and running through idaho and montana,, now ive ran south most my driving career and comparing the south to the west and NW, when it comes to cold weather there is none right? i know about howe's to prevent your fuel from gelling or what not but how exactly would i use it and what other precautions can i use??, and i have a tripac on my truck so i wouldnt idle, but i understand you have to idle at some point when it gets below what tepmerature??? I tend to ramble on, thanks for your help in advance!! :lol:
Old 05-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Rookie

Running across I-80 through Wyoming you better be prepared for snow in Oct. I ran across Wyoming last week and had some light snow,nothing serious , but just showing everybody that winter is only a month away.Montana can be just as bad in Sept. and Oct. with a early snow.The worst is when it is warm during the day and snows and blows at night and makes the roads really slick.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Running in cold weather......

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208
Im gonna be running from chicago/milwaukee to seattle, portland, west coast alot and am wondering what precautions to take in cold weather, and when does is start to snow in the west you know thru the mountains on I80 and running through idaho and montana,, now ive ran south most my driving career and comparing the south to the west and NW, when it comes to cold weather there is none right? i know about howe's to prevent your fuel from gelling or what not but how exactly would i use it and what other precautions can i use??, and i have a tripac on my truck so i wouldnt idle, but i understand you have to idle at some point when it gets below what tepmerature??? I tend to ramble on, thanks for your help in advance!! :lol:
You were down in North Carolina. Are you really sure about what you just did!!!? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Senior Board Member

If you're buying your fuel from reputable places in those northern areas, you shouldn't have a problem. Fuel is treated to handle local temps. Having said that, if the temp drops below 10 I usually add Lucas.

The worst part about the cold is how hard it is on your engine. Batteries don't hold as much of a charge which stresses your starter and oil becomes thick which causes accelerated wear-and-tear. If your Tripack heats the block then that's great. I usually idle, again, when the temp drops below 10.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Senior Board Member

forget about the truck you need to worry about yourself first and foremost, heavy clothing, blankets and non perishable food should always be in your truck, theres a very real possibility of you being stuck on the road in the middle of nowhere for days straight.

i`ve got complete hose and belt replacement sets in my truck as well a roll of hose tape so I can seal a leak if its bitter cold out and dont have the time to replace a hose in the weather, in addition I have fuel filters an oil filter, engine oil and gear oil, an alternator, starter, turbo, a basic tool set (sockets wrenchs screwdrivers for every bolt on the truck) as well as an air hose and 1/2 impact gun for tire changes, I also keep a spare tire and spoons for changing a tire.

all together minus the tire all those tools and parts weigh around 350 pounds, not a big deal weight wise when I can save myself thousands on a road repair or even better get myself out of dangerous weather.

i`ve also got kindling and butane torch for starting a fire under my tanks when i`m in extreme weather, I dont care who you buy your fuel from sooner or later its cold enough to gel it.

now I run out west exclusively with the occasional canada/alaska trip and I can repair anything on my truck so you may not want or need or even be able to use everything I carry but its all worth it to me.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
forget about the truck you need to worry about yourself first and foremost, heavy clothing, blankets and non perishable food should always be in your truck, theres a very real possibility of you being stuck on the road in the middle of nowhere for days straight.

i`ve got complete hose and belt replacement sets in my truck as well a roll of hose tape so I can seal a leak if its bitter cold out and dont have the time to replace a hose in the weather, in addition I have fuel filters an oil filter, engine oil and gear oil, an alternator, starter, turbo, a basic tool set (sockets wrenchs screwdrivers for every bolt on the truck) as well as an air hose and 1/2 impact gun for tire changes, I also keep a spare tire and spoons for changing a tire.

all together minus the tire all those tools and parts weigh around 350 pounds, not a big deal weight wise when I can save myself thousands on a road repair or even better get myself out of dangerous weather.

i`ve also got kindling and butane torch for starting a fire under my tanks when i`m in extreme weather, I dont care who you buy your fuel from sooner or later its cold enough to gel it.

now I run out west exclusively with the occasional canada/alaska trip and I can repair anything on my truck so you may not want or need or even be able to use everything I carry but its all worth it to me.

Are you getting all this, Marcel?
:lol: Carry a bag of salt and practice with your chains ahead of time. Driving in blizzards, white outs and on icy mountains is more fun than any single individual ought to be allowed. 8)
Old 05-29-2007, 07:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Uh...... Isn't today the " unofficial " start of summer ???? Why worry about winter weather now.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

another intelligent post, your a real winner :roll:

i`ve seen 30 degrees at night throughout the year.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Uh...... Isn't today the " unofficial " start of summer ???? Why worry about winter weather now.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
never too early to be prepared
Old 05-29-2007, 10:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian

Are you getting all this, Marcel?
:lol: Carry a bag of salt and practice with your chains ahead of time. Driving in blizzards, white outs and on icy mountains is more fun than any single individual ought to be allowed. 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: