User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New OO ready to roll

have been thinking about this for a long time. After reading the posts on this board, I have come to the conclusion that if you want to make it in trucking, you have to be ready for the rough times. I have taken all the pearls of wisdom I can think of, and have come up with this as my plan.

1.Get a good used truck (I found a 1995 international with a 96 inch sleeper, it has 925,000 miles on it. I bought it for $10,000, and plan on spending up to $15,000 getting it road ready. I had a diesel mechanic check it out, and he said other than the cooling fan being stuck "on" all the time, the truck seems to be in really good shape,...time will tell). The truck is right now at an RV conversion shop having a shower/toilet/kitchen installed.

2.Choose a trailer for the job. I am looking for a good used 48/102 or 96 stepdeck. I would like a Ravens or East, but the money talks, and I don't want to spend more than $15,000 on it.

3.Pick an APU. I have chosen a Rigmaster, because it seems to be a good unit, and I have spoken to a few guys who have them, and are satisfied with their performance.

4.I am testing out the T-mobile wireless air card as we speak, and it seems to work good enough to post my truck and meander around the internet at a snails pace,...but good enough. Maybe one of those cellphone signal amp units would help boost the speed, I can't remember the name but the have been advertised in Landline so I'll find it again.

5.Insurance is getting to be an issue, but so far I have 2 good quotes for around $9,000 per year as long as I stay in a specific region. (how on earth would an insurance company know if I do 48 states,...unless I have to place a claim?) they tell me they will know,..is there some paperwork the need to see at the end of the year to catch me if I go outside the zone?

6.For my authority I am probably going to have OOIDA do it, so I don't screw something up and end up at a DOT stop for bad paperwork.

7.Wish list for cool stuff I want, but really don't need:
a.those cat eye tire pressure things.
b.on board load scales.
c.rolltite tarp system.
d.new seats.
e.that oil cleaning system.
f.satellite tv unit.

I have been able to put away around $50,000 (after the purchase of the truck) that I am willing to spend to get this up and going, and from all that I have read, it seems like I will be able to make this work.
I am not new to this line of work, I was with Stevens Transport many years ago, and found the work suitable to my personality. The one thing with Stevens I did not like was the sitting while the training teams were handed all the good runs. I sat for 3 days at a time, and at 24 cents per mile,....it makes for a real bad paycheck. So I put in my year and walked away. I always planned on going back into it, but many excuses and years later,...here I finally am.

I am greatful for web sites like this that make it possible to do the research before getting in over my head. I plan on posting as much info as accuratly as possible
Old 03-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Good luck... Sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. It is alot of fun being out here. we are leased on to a company.....till we get a trailer and our own authority, we just added a second truck and it is doing good so far. We want the big sleeper too one day and a stepdeck. If I were you I would go for the 102" stepdeck.

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 03-24-2007, 01:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks Tootie,
Any reasons why the 102 instead of the 96? I saw your new ride,....sweeeet!! you two will love that t-600, I drove one for Stevens and it was a really good truck (way better than the t-2000 they handed me 6 months into it).
Old 03-24-2007, 02:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Why the 102 over a 96?

Because if you hang over by "X" amount you are considered a wide or oversized load. The amount varies from state to state as does the regs as to what is required. (permits, daylight only etc) Also some places will not load a 96 anymore.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:34 AM
Senior Board Member

on your choice of truck... not a thing wrong. except for the year. maybe. lot of co's dont lease on a truck if over 10 years old. lot's do though. on a trailer... i dont know what you will be hauling. i pull flatbed along with other drivers who pull stepdeck. the reason i prefer flatbed is because i can take loads requiring rear load/unload. you cannot back up tp a dock & get loaded if ya got a step deck. unless it has option of side load or rear load. but then ya better make sure ya can get it off side unload when ya get to your delivery place too. this make not make a difference to you. just something to think about.. i used to load 5 miles from home to g.r. mi & unload/ reload same place right back home & do $3,700 to the truck on 2 rounds, but only could do with flat. step would not work. one more thing if your 800-1500 miles from home & freight is slow & all ya can get is a rear load... you may wish you had a flat instead of maybe being stuck overnight waiting for another load, or dead head 2-3 hundred miles for something else. i'm not trying to insult your intelligence. just hope you consider all angles. good luck.. best wishes.. troy
Old 03-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks uturn& heavy,
Those are things I did not know about the flat width, or the decision to use a step.
I never considered the dock height, but you're right, I am going to do a bit more research before I buy the trailer. I want the most versatile trailer I can get.
I pulled a refer before, and really didn't like it very much.
As far as insulting my intelligence,... that can't be done, I lost that years ago.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Wilson signal amplifier, I think thats what its called, do any of you use this unit?
I did a search, but my connection is so slow that I fell asleep waiting for the page to load, and then after reading through 4 threads,......without a mention of anything wilson,......I gave up and am asking instead of searching.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Word of caution?
Your Insurance Company will know you are out of region, when they run your SaferSys check, and see that you were Audited by DOT "out of region". Sometimes it takes weeks or months to be posted, but be posted those audits will be.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Regarding running outside the area you are insured for....

Now I am only assumming here (if someone knows better, please step in)....but if you have an "incident" or, God forbid, an accident with injuries, and you are out of your 300 mile limit, your insurance provider may disallow any and all coverage and leave you (and your assets) open to paying all damages and lawsuits.

Now that would really torpedo your plans....

Have you maintained your CDL all these years? If so, has that helped with insurance quotes?
Old 03-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Board Regular

doghouse, I suggest keeping at least 10,000 in cash as a starting maintenance fund, I wouldn't spend every dime of your cash on upgrades. Do you plan to overhaul the engine before you start running?