User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Tips for going Around Atlanta

I will be going around Atlanta on the by pass for the first time in a truck and I have not been down that way in a car in many years. I have heard it gets pretty busy, are there any do's or don't or advise? Should I go around on the West side of the by pass?
Thanks Mike
Old 03-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Board Regular

Do your best to go through around 2 to 3 Am. Other wise it a living H*!!. Even then you may find a few back ups.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Senior Board Member

It's a crazy town all right. I don't think you really have to drive thru in the middle of the night, but stay away from the bypass in early morning and after 3 pm. It does get extremely busy and those numerous lanes they have in places don't help either. Plan your route in advance. I usually draw a little map and stick it to my dashboard so I know exit numbers, highway numbers, and - very important - the next big city towards which that highway goes to.

Of course, if you have money to burn - you can always get a cheap GPS unit for 200 to 300 bucks.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 03-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you are going to the Carolina's you will want to travel 285 East. Otherwise, it is shorter and has less traffic on the West side. Rush hour is the worst time to travel through Atlanta. Make sure to keep plenty of room between you and the vehicles in front of you. There is no need to get in too big of a hurry. I would probably try to stay in the second lane from the right most of the time because of traffic entering and exiting. I don't think it is any worse than traveling around the DC beltway.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Watch your lane. They love handing out left lane tickets.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Board Regular

If I am going through from I-75 I go the west side, Atlanta is busy at rush hour but other than that, it is not the worst city I have ever driven in, and I go there all the time.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Board Regular

I driven throug DC, Chicago even NYC during Rush hour. Never did I see the driving like I did around Atlanta. The closes to turning a truck over was in Atlanta beltway. 2 Punks in a Old Chevy cut in front and I notice the car getting closer as I was slowing down. All I saw was their roof when they cut in, so pushed harder and harder on the brakes, next thing I knew my cab was sideways.. Trailer stayed straight though. After I got straighten back out, i did notice they were turned around laughing. After I got to my pickup, the broker called to see if I made it. Theses guys played the game with another trucker, he was not so lucky, it cost him his life.

9 out of 10 close call with a 4 wheeler it had a tag from one of the 7 counties that make up the City of Atlanta. even in St Louis, Mo.

I am currently not driving, and I wrote this little deal about Atlants's drivers, the 10 rules to drive in Atlanta.

10 Rules To Drive in Atlanta, Ga

1st --- You need A news paper, a book, office work, and a kid for the back seat. Just to be leagally drive in the streets or Interstates system in Atlanta, or you fail to follow rule #9.

2nd--- Drive at a speed 40 above the posted speed when driving on a more than 2 lane road.

3rd--- If you see a big truck, race up to it and get aside of it in the blind spot and match his speed.

4th--- When you need to exit get in the farthest inside lane, the do a 90 degree turn on the interstate. For other roads get in the oppesite lane fartherest from the direction you need to turn.

5th--- If you see a big rig, wait till he is close, then pull out in front and go 10 feet and turn left.

6th--- If you fail to follow rule #3 cut in front of the truck and slam on brakes.

7th--- If you follow rule #3 and you come up to your exit, Ignore rule #4. Follow rule #6. Then make your turn without a signal.

8th--- If you have a kid, the child must not be in seat belts going from one side to the other.

9th--- When the Car is in running you must be reading, eating and Shaving or putting on make up while doing 100 MPH in backed up traffic.

10th--- If you live in one of the Counties of City of Atlanta, You must drive this way everywhere you go, or you'll lose your driving rights.

By hobbyman
© 2002 hobbyman ( rights reserved)

My CB handle when I was driven was Hobbyman, therefore was my penname.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:59 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie
I driven throug DC, Chicago even NYC during Rush hour. Never did I see the driving like I did around Atlanta. The closes to turning a truck over was in Atlanta beltway. 2 Punks in a Old Chevy cut in front and I notice the car getting closer as I was slowing down. All I saw was their roof when they cut in, so pushed harder and harder on the brakes, next thing I knew my cab was sideways.. Trailer stayed straight though. After I got straighten back out, i did notice they were turned around laughing. After I got to my pickup, the broker called to see if I made it. Theses guys played the game with another trucker, he was not so lucky, it cost him his life.

9 out of 10 close call with a 4 wheeler it had a tag from one of the 7 counties that make up the City of Atlanta. even in St Louis, Mo.

I am currently not driving, and I wrote this little deal about Atlants's drivers, the 10 rules to drive in Atlanta.

10 Rules To Drive in Atlanta, Ga

1st --- You need A news paper, a book, office work, and a kid for the back seat. Just to be leagally drive in the streets or Interstates system in Atlanta, or you fail to follow rule #9.

2nd--- Drive at a speed 40 above the posted speed when driving on a more than 2 lane road.

3rd--- If you see a big truck, race up to it and get aside of it in the blind spot and match his speed.

4th--- When you need to exit get in the farthest inside lane, the do a 90 degree turn on the interstate. For other roads get in the oppesite lane fartherest from the direction you need to turn.

5th--- If you see a big rig, wait till he is close, then pull out in front and go 10 feet and turn left.

6th--- If you fail to follow rule #3 cut in front of the truck and slam on brakes.

7th--- If you follow rule #3 and you come up to your exit, Ignore rule #4. Follow rule #6. Then make your turn without a signal.

8th--- If you have a kid, the child must not be in seat belts going from one side to the other.

9th--- When the Car is in running you must be reading, eating and Shaving or putting on make up while doing 100 MPH in backed up traffic.

10th--- If you live in one of the Counties of City of Atlanta, You must drive this way everywhere you go, or you'll lose your driving rights.

By hobbyman
© 2002 hobbyman ( rights reserved)

My CB handle when I was driven was Hobbyman, therefore was my penname.
So what ypu saying stl has as bad drivers as atl?
Old 03-28-2007, 04:30 AM
Board Regular

My goodness......I remember the first time my husband had me drive the big truck through Atlanta.....and I thought Chicago was something until then.......now I know there are lots of places all over the country that are 'interesting' driving but I think that first time driving through there will always stick in my mind

You'll do just fine, don't let it get to you there are plenty of other places all over the roads that are just as 'good' as the one you're looking at now