User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New dump truck O/O...

First off I would like to say hello to all. I have been doing alot of research latley and this site has really been helpful. Basically Im starting up my own dump truck business Im still about 6 months to a year off from buying the dump truck and getting started. Right now im making contacts and getting a business plan togather. Im going to start with one truck and hopfully add another within a year of starting this business. I live in Tampa/St.Petersburg Fl and Im trying to find out if there are any guys on this site that are in the near area or really anyone from florida period can chime in also. Im looking for brokers or companys that I can potentially work for around florida. Also what are the specs of your trucks and what are some suggestions on things I should know for a truck thats gonna be working in FL. Im basically trying to spec out a truck that going to suit my needs. I don't plan on doing heavy duty constructions sites right away, that will be further down the road. Right now the truck will be doing dirt, gravel, sand,asphalt ect. Thanks alot guys....

Anthony
Old 04-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Senior Board Member

check with the local paving and asphalt places like APAC they contract trucks all the time.

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 04-21-2007, 12:24 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie04
check with the local paving and asphalt places like APAC they contract trucks all the time.

tootie
APAC sold out just a little while ago.

Most dump trucks in Florida are tri axels you can look at www.truckpaper.com to get an idea of the spec you would need.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Don't know much about Florida dump trucks but do know a little about asphalt and other processed aggregates.

Making a paver operator happy is fairly simple. They want you to have as much overhang to the rear of your truck as is legal. Helps to place your load deeply inside the paver thereby preventing spillage over the front. The maximum allowed by law is 24". That measurement is from the rearmost part of your truck to the tires or DOT bumper. A spreader apron is also a must have.

If you plan on doing any amount of sand you really should spec a thicker floor. I have seen sand wear a truck bed down to holes in less than 3 years. This was an aluminum bed with a 1/4 floor and hauled 3 loads of sand a day 5 days a week.

My only advice would be to not buy the second truck. Finding a good driver can be very difficult. They will not work as hard as you do nor will they treat your equipment as nicely. And there are many opportunities in a dump truck to really beat it to death.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:46 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't run a dumo, but I'm also in the Tampa/St Pete area,...so welcome to a great forum
Old 04-22-2007, 03:04 AM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: New dump truck O/O...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenkoboy
Right now the truck will be doing dirt, gravel, sand,asphalt ect. Thanks alot guys....

Anthony
Welcome to the site Anthony

If you can't find something already set up you may want to consider building something. My truck (see sig) does what your looking to do. I built it from a former tanker truck, we shortened the wheelbase and moved the axles to make it ready for the box. I paid 24k for the truck and another 4k into modifing it for my needs. Its a 2000 Freightliner, alum. frame, 330 Cummins engine with a 9 speed, can't remember what rear end gears, but its set up to run highway. Truck works very well for me, gets great fuel milage, reliable and can haul much more than most others can in my area. Sure it takes a while longer to get upto speed in the freeway, but I still make it to the job sites just fine, lol.

Other than that I can't help you much since I don't know the business there in FL.

Best of luck 8)
Old 04-22-2007, 06:50 PM
Rookie
Default hey floored

HOW ARE YOU?? CONGRADS ON YOUR EASY BABY BIRTH.
VERY BEAUTIFUL BOY.

HEY WHEN ARE YOU GOING BACK TO WORK?? ITS STILL RAININ HERE BUT SUPPOSED TO STOP FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON. HOPE SO!!
IS THERE A DUMP TRUCK FORUM ON THIS SITE? ALOT OF FOLKS REALLY NEEDED INFO. WE CAN GIVE THEM OUR TWO CENTS, WELL YOU CAN I M STILL BROKE FROM LAST MONTH...:lol:'

KEEP IN TOUCH. A
Old 04-22-2007, 11:11 PM
floored
Default Re: hey floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo
HOW ARE YOU?? CONGRADS ON YOUR EASY BABY BIRTH.
VERY BEAUTIFUL BOY.

HEY WHEN ARE YOU GOING BACK TO WORK?? ITS STILL RAININ HERE BUT SUPPOSED TO STOP FOR THE REST OF THE SEASON. HOPE SO!!
IS THERE A DUMP TRUCK FORUM ON THIS SITE? ALOT OF FOLKS REALLY NEEDED INFO. WE CAN GIVE THEM OUR TWO CENTS, WELL YOU CAN I M STILL BROKE FROM LAST MONTH...:lol:'

KEEP IN TOUCH. A
I've been asking for a "Local Trucks" forum on this site, but never get any response from the admins on it

I'll be working nights when work opens up, otherwise won't be working the day shift for a good year or two. Got a new driver in the truck, he's taking real good care of my rig and the job. Truck worked all last week as a ten wheeler, hoping to have another good week this week. My business is broke right now too, had to buy workers comp and that drained me, but I have a good settlement coming in on the 25th so I'll get things built back up soon enough.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Floored, most states will allow you to buy APP or OPP insurance in place of workers comp as long as you don't have too many employees. It basically does the same thing as workers comp at a fraction of the cost. It is also easier for the driver to use. OOIDA has a policy which costs about $140/month per driver. You may want to check with them to see if it is applicable in California. If so, it could save you a chunk of money.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:00 AM
Rookie
Default re; Floored workmans comp

Hey, wow you dont have to work for a couple years. THANKS GREAT FOR YOUR KIDDIES!!
My husbands company doesnt pay workmans comp/ He goes thru a personnel/payroll agency, although he pays at a higher rate they cover everything that would normally come out of pocket. The employee has to deal with the agency, re: payroll, taxes and workmans comp issues. Takes the load off.
Glad to hear your truck is running, hopn for hot weather here
take at cha later.....A