User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 05:39 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default buying a used truck in California

I'm thinking of buying a truck from and owner operater near Fontana California and was wondering is there other paper work I need from him besides the bill of sale and title? He says there no liens on the truck. I live in NY.. thanks in advance for any information
Old 03-28-2007, 03:15 PM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I sold my truck here in CA and only gave the buyer a bill of sale and signed off title and everything went well with his transfer, so I think you are ok with that. If you have any doubts you could call the DMV for the state you plan to register it with and ask them what they require.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:19 PM

Thanks alot for the information.. I will look on the california DMV website and see if there anything else needed for class 8 trucks sale transfer..

thanks again
Old 03-28-2007, 11:46 PM

When you get the title or pink slip (which in California is pink with a blue boarder) make sure the "Lienholder" on the bottom has also been signed off. If you have questions call and confirm the lienholder has in fact "released" the title. On the top of the form there is a red print section called NOTICE OF TRANSFER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY. Make sure that gets turned into California DMV. With your bill of sale and title in hand (make a photo copy of the check you give the seller to pay for the truck) your should be ready to take the paper work to New York DMV. If your reg is not current you need to go to California DMV and get a moving permit. There is no fee for this (at least on cars anyway). If the seller says the lienholder has the title make sure you make the check out or send it directly to the lienholder. Watch that all sections on the title have been signed including the milage box. Happy Motoring- Bill
Old 03-29-2007, 02:13 AM

Thanks bill for the information I will make sure of these things before I leave with the truck.