User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thinking about being an o/o

8) I am considering buying a peterbilt only because that is what I want. Everyone says they are not good trucks.Can I get some advice?
Old 03-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Thinking about being an o/o

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrain_58
8) I am considering buying a peterbilt only because that is what I want. Everyone says they are not good trucks.Can I get some advice?
Use your income tax return, and get lights, lots of lights, chrome drop-down visor, Texas bumper, 6" straights, single round headlights and be sure to drop the seat to the floor. :P

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 03-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Buy what you want...but be realistic. A decent truck, in good mechanical condition and low payment is better to start out with, tahn a high payment new one.

I just picked up a decent 2001 International 9400, for $27K. 35K on complete overhaul, fresh tranny O/H..and it runs down the road at 70 without a lot of creaking and rattling, no wind noise, except when the window is cracked open. My payment is $942 a month for 2 years, and I am comfortable with that. This truck replaces a 1996 FLD112 single screw, I have..and just sold, for $9500.
I bought that truck for $14,500 from Ryder in 2003..O/H'd the M-11 in 2004, and think I did very well with it. Even with high fuel cost last year (spent $32,840 for fuel), paying my Brother 30% of gross in wages (he worked 6 month's and one week in 2006, and grossed $46K, 2K more than I did working my outside job the full year), putting $15K+ into maintenance and repairs, plus paying plates & insurance over $5000, I netted $19,850 for myself and the IRS.

Not bad for a truck that only hauls 28,000# of cargo, and sat for almost half the year.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:08 PM
Senior Board Member

in my opinion pete's are like cat engines... very good products, but overated. when i load with my ole buddies & drive to our destination i get paid the same as the ones driving the fancy trucks. only mine cost me $15,250 so i choose where & when i go. not my truck payment. when you bought your first car did you look at buying a mercedes benz instead of a chevy, ford or similair ? good luck my friend.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Rookie

The company I work for has a couple of Peterbilt's and they've been good trucks. Most of the trucks they have are Kenworth's , but it's not like one is breaking down more than the other. The mechanic and we drivers keep up on the maintenance and I think that is the biggest thing no matter what brand you buy. Granted somethings just go wrong no matter how much you keep on the maintenance. My opinion is get the truck that you want if you can afford it. If not get the next best thing and enjoy it. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:23 AM
Senior Board Member

What model Peterbilt?
Old 03-17-2007, 03:34 AM
Rookie

Actually looking for a 379exhd
Old 03-17-2007, 04:20 AM
Senior Board Member

I like your avitar. I bet theres not many people on the BB that know what show its from :lol: The cartoon strip is kick ass too!
Old 03-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Board Regular

I know!

I know!

can I have a "b" please?
I would like to buy a vowel
Can I have an "o" please?
Old 03-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Default Re: Thinking about being an o/o

Quote:
Originally Posted by soultrain_58

Soultrain_58, Peterbilt makes a good truck. I have owned one along with several other brands. If you can afford to buy one, then more power to you. However, there are other brands that you can buy and get more for your money. Most Peterbilts get fewer miles per gallon than many of the other brands, because of the aerodynamics. You can get a good truck that will get higher mpg's for much less money than what you will pay for the 379. Other than the looks, I don't think Peterbilt has much to offer, if you are looking at the business aspect of owning a truck. On the positive side, the long hood makes it easy to get to the engine compartment to work on it. Keep in mind that you can get identical engine and drive train specs with most trucks. The only thing you are paying extra for is the skin. Personally, I don't think it is a good idea to start with an expensive truck that gets lower fuel economy than many other brands. There is less usable room in the sleeper than in my International, Freightliner, Volvo or some other brands. Closets are small. I think Peterbilt could do a much better job of designing the sleeper. They drive good, but you will need at least 260" or more wheelbase to get a decent ride. I prefer either a 265" or 270" wheelbase for the ride. I never got more than 5 mpg on my Peterbilt. Some have posted that they get close to 6 mpg. Some say they get better than 6. You will probably spend about 20% more for fuel with a 379 than an aerodynamic truck. With fuel being as high as it is, that is a lot of money to spend just to own a Peterbilt. You can buy a good used truck for less than $20,000. You are not likely to be able to buy a Peterbilt for that amount of money. It is rare to find one for less than $25,000. Most comparable to the $20,000 truck in another brand will likely cost between $35-45,000 in a 379. I might consider buying another Peterbilt if I got an exceptional deal, but would look at other brands before buying the Pete. You can get more for your money in another brand.