User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Who will hire O/O with 6 mo experience

I am on long island and am looking to haul intermodal. I have an older tractor but i can not find anyone that will hire me. Everyone wants 3yrs exp. Why can I get a job as a company driver but not an o/o? Some places want me to get my own plates, liabilty, and bobtail, but even though I get all the insurance myself still want me to have the 3yrs. Anyone recommend a company that will hire me?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:16 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

6 months is not enough time spent on the road for anyone to vouch for you expecialy being a o/op..i had a hard time finding job after i left Werner to drive someones elses truck...i can get you numbers of some companies running OTR but i know for a fact that containers wont even look at you(unless you know someone on the inside) without at least 2 years. I do have friends in Chicago that run intermodal but they all have more that 3 years, i can check for the number if you arew willing to travel from there to Florida and back home maybe?
Old 03-21-2007, 02:11 AM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I've never worked in the intermodal transportation feild, so can't help you out there at all, but as a O/O with only 1 month under my belt I had buttloads of freight companies wanting to take me in (filled out the classadrivers online app), nothing was super awesome pay, but I was working and bringing in 3-5k a week in paychecks. So you can get work as a new O/O, just may be a while to get into the niche you wanted.

How old is your truck anyway?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:22 AM

Thanks for the replys. The truck is a 00 Freightliner Century. I was interested in intermodel mostly because I could get home alot, and from the looks of the trucks and drivers I see I thought it would be easy to get in. Dejanh, I would be very interested in looking into whatever info you could get me, I dont mind traveling. Floored, I never thought to fill out that app. on this website so thanks for the idea. Thanks for the help
Old 03-21-2007, 05:05 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

What floored is talking about are positions with these mega carriers which dont pay well at all, most of them are in the range of 90cpm to a dollar which just aint cutting it in these markets today, so i would not reccomend that route..

Ill get back to ya on PM shortly, gotta round them up.. :wink:

Good luck
Old 03-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't know if they hire in your area, but CRST Malone will lease on an owner operator with as little as 6 months experience. CRST Malone pays percentage, which should help you earn more money. They don't do inter modal, if that is what you are seeking. I don't really know what they have on Long Island. There are several carriers who regularly haul out of Baltimore going to New England. If you look at the company listings on this forum, there are a number of companies who list their requirements and areas of operation. It is difficult to find one of the better carriers without having at least 1-2 years of driving experience. If you haven't already bought a truck, you may want to wait until you have more experience. Your options will be much better with more experience. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:31 PM
floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh
What floored is talking about are positions with these mega carriers which dont pay well at all, most of them are in the range of 90cpm to a dollar which just aint cutting it in these markets today, so i would not reccomend that route..
When I ran with MCT last Summer I was making .86-1.02 per mile plus fuel surcharge (so the average was around 1.30 if I remember correctly), it wasn't super great pay but the work was always there and I was bringing in good weekly income and got to call the shots on when and where I wanted to run (99% of the time anyway, lol)

When your new to the game you gotta start somewhere, right
Old 03-21-2007, 09:26 PM

Schnider will take me. They said I will average 600 miles a weeks average pay is 1800$. 22.5 cent fuel surcharge. Free plates, 55$ a month bobtail. Will be home nightly. Pay sounds kinda low but they are sending me an application and info pack. I have had a bad experience before with Us Express so I am not sure how I feel about a large company. I am in no rush so I am gonna keep looking at all my options for the time being.