User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Companys and Tarps???

OK please someone explain this to me.

Picked up a load of coiled wire from a Port, it sat outside in the rain weather, salt water, etc at the terminal. Had to be delivered 200 miles, and then was stored outside. Freight bill stated must be tarped, WTF?

If it was ok to come from China with no tarp, ok to sit on the sea side salt water dock for who knows how long without a tarp, and ok to sit outside the customers location in the dirt without a tarp, why does it need a tarp to travel for 4 hours? And some of the rolls had major salt water rust on them.

I think some of this tarping is bull****. I understand in some circumstances where the item does not need exposed to the elements at any point, but Ive had many loads of steel and wood, and both once delivered, were stored outside either open in the dirt, etc.

Ok Im done.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Just one more stupid thing. You can find out a lot of like this everywhere. Just follow the rules, don't worry, be happy :lol:
Old 12-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Do you feel better now that you got that off your chest?

Unfortunately freight bills are frequently prepared by some pencil pushers and the difference between tarp and no tarp is a simple stroke of a pencil with no regard for the amount of work a driver has to go thru in order to comply. This pencil pusher was trained by another who probably just said "just always check this box for tarp, it is easier than trying to figure out what needs a tarp and what does not"

Of course you will always need to tarp these loads. Otherwise some snot nosed receiving clerk will throw a fit.

Ain't trucking fun?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:20 PM

100% exactly...they have no idea what it takes to do the job. Whether its a broker, or a desk clerk-many have never done the job and have no idea what it takes to do so. But they sure make/give orders like they have invented the truck :roll:

I do feel better now. Thanks :wink:
Old 12-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

That is why everyone should charge extra for tarping. It will pay for your time and it will avoid any unnecessary tarping because the shipper will not want to pay extra for something which is not necessary. Tarping is an additional service which a shipper should be willing to pay the carrier to perform. If all those who pull a flat bed refused to tarp unless paid for their time, you would see a lot of changes in tarping requirements.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:55 AM

HMMMM, Thats a good idea. x amount for a calm day. x2 if they dont lift your tarps(or offer) on top of that 6-8' load, and x3 if its windy as hell.

I was told on the phone it didnt need to be tarped, but when I saw another driver tarping, I called the customer, and they said no they didnt req one at all, it was stored outside. Funny we showed up at the same customer, and after unstrapping/chaining, he was still working with his tarps....which a hand was given.

I do have to say, contrary to my other post. This was a company driver with one of the big flat bed companies, and after unloading he had to pull quite a ways away to allow others in there. It was late at night and cold, and he walked all the way back down while I was unloading and thanked me for giving him a hand....thats a class act. His thankyou afterwards was good enough.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I seem to see more camaraderie among flat bed drivers than other types of truckers. If one flat bed driver needs help, it isn't uncommon to have someone provide assistance. When I hauled cars, there were some who would help, if asked, but mostly it was a more competitive atmosphere. With vans, you may talk, but rarely did I see someone actually assisting another driver. Perhaps it has more to do with the nature of pulling a flat bed around. It never hurts to help someone in need. You could be in a situation where you may need help some time.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Flatbeds are the best :wink:

We don't pull many tarped loads (not worth the price they pay) but when we do, I try to call to confirm that the load actually needs tarping. If they say no, I scratch it off or modify the confirmation sheet before I fax it back.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:58 PM

Some people get thiers in the end...LOL A few years back we ran a lane with about 4 other trucks with tarped loads of lumber. Loaded and unloaded at the same place. Everyone seemed to give each other a hand, since we all somewhat knew each other over time from running the lane, and my dad was helping a new driver(new to that lane) with his tarp. Dad helped him, the guy gave some type of "mr. macho" thanks, and jumped back in his truck allowing my dad to fold his own tarps up. I was helping another guy, and after we were finished I just helped my dad finish up.

A few days past, and on one trip, it was very windy. While others were helping eac other with tarps, his "Mr. macho" was forced to run all over the place gathering up his un-cooperating tarp. The other few drivers had noticed how rude this driver was, and no one pitched in to give him a hand---Moral. Do onto others as you want them to do to you.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:03 PM

if you think that the load don't need tarping, call the receiver. I learned that the hard way tarping a load of steel tubes that was used for road signs! took about 3 hours to tarp the crap and when i got to the place the guys were looking at me like WTF? why is that tarped?..'cuz the frikin bills said so!