User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Starting out

I am about to buy a truck and trailer. What is the most reliable load board out there? Also, does anyone know how much I can expect to make out there? Use a 1000 mile ld for example
Old 11-30-2006, 12:25 AM

Are you sure you know what you're doing??? Hate to say it, but you sound rather inexperienced to be just going out and buying a truck, then asking how to get a load for it. Those are questions that should be answered well before you buy anything.

So what the deal here??
Old 11-30-2006, 01:30 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull
I am about to buy a truck and trailer. What is the most reliable load board out there? Also, does anyone know how much I can expect to make out there? Use a 1000 mile ld for example
You may be better off running shorter distances. My trucks have a goal of $700 per day and I run them regionally. I used to run them OTR and realized I was going broke chasing the long hauls. How you do it is up to you. Good Luck.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:56 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I use Internettruckstop and getloaded. They seem to work fairly well for me. Have you check on insurance? I don't know how long you have been driving, but unless you have at least 2 years of driving experience, you may find it difficult to get insurance.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:38 AM
Board Regular

http://www.getloaded.com/
Old 11-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Rookie

I have been driving for 5 years but as a company driver. I am quite inexperienced as far as the business aspect goes, that's why I'm asking. I just want to know what these loads go for, is it reasonable and is it worth my time and money. will I be able to afford a good amount of time at home? Those are the questions I have that I can't seen to find answers for. So can you help me out?
Old 11-30-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I have been driving for 5 years but as a company driver. I am quite inexperienced as far as the business aspect goes, that's why I'm asking. I just want to know what these loads go for, is it reasonable and is it worth my time and money. will I be able to afford a good amount of time at home? Those are the questions I have that I can't seen to find answers for. So can you help me out?
Your best bet is to hook up with someone you know (and trust to NOT lie to you!!!) who is O/O....

before even contemplating buying your own decide to whom you will lease on.
There are nearly a million questions you should be asking them...I cannot even begin to name them all......
but if they are a "good" company they will (hopefully) have a lot of reasonably good paying freight...but one is always wise to seek out your own loads whenever possible and get in the habit of doing so.....using the "load boards" as a last resort.
There is an immense amount of research you will need to perform before you consider this undertaking.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:57 PM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler15301
Quote:
Your best bet is to hook up with someone you know (and trust to NOT lie to you!!!) who is O/O....

Well, that can prove to be the hardest things of them all. :!:

Even if he talks to some of his friends that are O/Ops that are trustworthy what they tell him may not be the real picture of this buisiness, for ex. , if someone is not doing well they'll tell him ,,dont even try it'' ,, nothing but problems'' and so on...before i even started driving i had plans to buy my truck and while driving for a company i did my research and planned accordingly, you cant just decide one day to buy a truck and deal with all these expenses without knowing about them..it takes time!
Old 12-01-2006, 05:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Use a 1000 mile ld for example
OK! Long Island, NY to St Louis, MO $1,000
St Louis, MO to Long Island, NY $2,000

What does it tell you?

I'd recommend, to start with the truck only, and lease it to reputable % company. That would give you the better understanding, how freight pays, and would cost less to start... 8)
Old 12-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Who are you working for right now?

And it sounds like you are thinking about getting your own authority. If you are thinking of getting your own authority, how much money have you got socked away for repairs and fuel? How do you plan to get paid? Factoring or direct billing? Can you wait up to 90 days for a check in the mail? How will you pay for fuel, credit cards, fuel card or cash?

As far as equipment, are you looking at vans, flats or reefers? Have you looked into insurance and permits? Lot's of questions to be answered.

As far as load boards, we use getloaded, chrobinson and truckersedge. We also have regular shippers that we deal with.

Not to cut you off at the knees, but you sound a little uneducated regarding trucking. I take it you are with a larger carrier, that pretty much holds your hand on a daily basis? There is much more to trucking then getting a load and taking off down the road. You are looking at starting your own business, which entails more then you think.

Find yourself a nice used truck and lease it on to a larger company. And forget the trailer until you have some time behind the wheel as a lease operator.