User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2006, 03:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default crappy work history....

how does one get around it? I met a kid today who had a clean license and seemed pretty stand up but has a horrendous work history because he spent most of his time taking care of his mother, how much does work history influence being hired?
Old 11-26-2006, 04:20 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Brian, most companies want to see some stability in the drivers they hire. I won't usually hire a driver who has had more than 3 jobs in the last 2 years. I know of others with similar policies. Taking care of a parent is certainly something which would warrant a second look, providing everything else checked out. If I were in your situation, and I liked everything else, I might give him a chance. However, I would want some assurance that he would be dependable. I had a driver apply this past year who looked good. Everything checked out until we got to his recent employment. He informed me that he had quite a few jobs during the last 2 years. I asked him how many was a lot. He told me about 10. That is a job about every other month. According to him, he worked for owner operators and every one of them had faulty equipment. I think it was the driver who was faulty. I told him that I could not use him because of his work history.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:18 AM
Senior Board Member

well I wouldn`t be hiring him, for one I still have less then 2 years experience myself so my insurance is still pretty high and second I really have no use for him, I drive my truck and my wife has a driver for her local stuff.

anyways the kid would be going to one of the big outfits, he seemed pretty stand up to me and his mother was actually with him when I met him so the story checks out.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Senior Board Member

That does suck for him, especially since he took the time to take care of his mom and is now punished for it.

I can't remember the details but at one time the bank didn't like my work history. I was trying to get a loan. It was a hassle, they didn't understand that I was pulling work from a few different contractors but I was in the same field of work. I don't think I got the loan either. It can definetly affect you.

Brian, where did you get your insurance? I don't like Progressives restrictions, and OOIDA can't help me without two years. I'd like to get a quote from someone to see what it would cost. I'm so busy right now I don't have time to make alot of phone calls. Thanks