User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2006, 04:56 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Paperwork not at border............what do you do?

Besides wait I mean.

Picked up a motor vehicle in US on Friday to deliver in Canada on Monday. Arrived at customs Saturday morning and found that the vehicle's title had not been faxed to border the required 72 hours prior to arrival.....it was only 48 hours. Now the driver has to wait at the border until Monday morning.

The rate sheet specifically states that all paperwork would be faxed to the border....and it was.....but not in time for us to cross when we wanted.

I plan to bill the broker for the time but I doubt they will pay. I imagine they'll say "Delivery wasn't until Monday. How did I know you were crossing Saturday?"
Old 11-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Board Regular

I'd go after the shipper but you're probably gonna get screwed. Sometimes if you talk nice to the customs agent they'll forego the 72 hour rule. Where'd he get stuck at?
Old 11-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Niagara Falls. The guy was going to let him go but then he asked his supervisor and she said no.

Two day hotel bill, two days of driver twiddling thumbs, two days lost time for the truck + the driver didn't get home for his wedding anniversary. All for free.

Woo-hoo let's go truckin'.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Senior Board Member

you stated yourself in the first post its not scheduled to be dropped till monday in canada, if that was the deal then the broker isn`t going to give you anything, and not to defend a broker (god I feel dirty already) but he shouldn`t have to if monday was the specified date.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian
you stated yourself in the first post its not scheduled to be dropped till monday in canada, if that was the deal then the broker isn`t going to give you anything, and not to defend a broker (god I feel dirty already) but he shouldn`t have to if monday was the specified date.
The broker knows we are Canadian carrier and knows I wanted the driver (and load) home for the weekend. The vehicle (which is valued at $170,000 and sitting on a flatbed) was supposed to spend the weekend in our warehouse, not in a hotel parking lot where it could be vanadalized.

But none of this was communicated to the shipper, and the shipper was the party responsible for the faxing of all docs to the borders. Usually I contact the shippers directly to confirm all the info. Unfortunately in this case I did not.

As an aside to this fiasco, Broker said the load was supposed to go to Oshawa. When the driver arrived, the shipper said Hamilton.

You're right. I'll get nothing out of this.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Just got word that the 72 hour requirement won't be met until tomorrow (Tuedsay) at 8:00 AM. Now we wait another day. Now the shipment will be late. We are out AT LEAST $2,000 so far.

How do I lay a claim against a broker's bond?