User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default To Much Time to Think

Guys since I've been home with this broke ankle I have had to much time to think and want to become a O/O I was searching on www.truckpaper.com and have found a setup I like. I have enough for a decent down payment and would borrow the rest I have run all the cost and can make more than I do now with this setup what do you think any advice appreciated.

Picture and specs of the truck I like. http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...4FFB40B02F0E5F
Old 10-22-2006, 11:03 PM

What are you planning to haul? The only possible problem I see is the trailer is really short, most in my area are 34ft to 38ft long. If you plan on hauling grain or another light material it may not have the capacity you need.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Senior Board Member

You don't have in your profile where you live. Makes a difference for that line of work. The guys in my area that run dump trailers die out in the winter and a lot of them drive oil trucks until nice weather comes. That's not a bad thing to do because so many oil companies hire seasonal drivers. Then in the spring you jump back in your own truck. You can save on insurance that way. Very competitive business though. As with everything. If you know the right people you can keep busy. I have ran a dump trailer for a very good portion of my driving career. I enjoy doing it, because it is local work and the pay is great. But you will run long hours. A lot of guys burn out doing it. Hopefully you have experience in this field. You didn't say. I have been next to guys that have dropped trailers over (pretty scary), big dent in the ground also. :shock: Good luck. The truck looks nice. I would try to chew that down to about $50k
Old 10-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overloaded
What are you planning to haul? The only possible problem I see is the trailer is really short, most in my area are 34ft to 38ft long. If you plan on hauling grain or another light material it may not have the capacity you need.
Asphalt, Rock, Sand, Etc.

The short trailer makes it where I can haul asphalt long trailers they won't let trailers over 28' haul asphalt because they turn over to easy.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:19 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidman82
You don't have in your profile where you live. Makes a difference for that line of work. The guys in my area that run dump trailers die out in the winter and a lot of them drive oil trucks until nice weather comes. That's not a bad thing to do because so many oil companies hire seasonal drivers. Then in the spring you jump back in your own truck. You can save on insurance that way. Very competitive business though. As with everything. If you know the right people you can keep busy. I have ran a dump trailer for a very good portion of my driving career. I enjoy doing it, because it is local work and the pay is great. But you will run long hours. A lot of guys burn out doing it. Hopefully you have experience in this field. You didn't say. I have been next to guys that have dropped trailers over (pretty scary), big dent in the ground also. :shock: Good luck. The truck looks nice. I would try to chew that down to about $50k
I have been pulling a dump trailer for a company about 6 years and I know quite a few people that keep you busy and pay good. Don't mind long hours as I have no family I can do what I want.

I live near Salisburry, NC.