User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 02:22 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Newbie needs a Mentor

Hello, my name is Joe.
I've had my class A for about a year now but haven't been able to find a reliable company to give me a shot. Reason is, i guess, because i did not want to go OTR.
I recently found a local container company that was willing to train me locally but they are NOT RELIABLE AT ALL!
I have shown up on many occasions only to be stood up by drivers or given the cold shoulder by drivers unwilling to teach a newbie the ropes.

I have a baby to be born on 12/1/09 and at this point i have to exhaust any and all opportunities to get some time in the drivers seat.
I am looking for an O/O on the east coast who would be willing to take me out with him/her on the road and show me the right way to do this job.
I live by the New Jersey shore so close to that area is preferrable.

I am a holder of a TWIC card which for those who don't know allows me clearance to work on the piers.
A full background check by the United States Government was done before being allowed to obtain this card.
I have a clean liscense and am very responsible and reliable.

Anyone willing to talk just contact me through private message and i'd be glad to give you a call.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:37 AM
Rookie

Hey Joe, I'm sorry to hear about your problem but I'm gonna share some of my experience with you. 1st, if your'e lookin only for a local job, good luck. Most guys who work local have alot of otr experience or know a friend of a friend, etc. I'm not saying that you can't get lucky, but unless you have unlimited time, and funds, you need to take what you can get. I am also simpathatic to your problem of having a new baby on the way. I had to hit the road before my daughters 1st b-day, and have little time with her. Sometimes you have to sacrifice your time with them to feed them. Another issue, is the amount of time that you've had your credentials, and if you've used them. If you got your liscence a year ago, and havr'nt driven since, you might have to take a refresher course before a big company will take you on. If you could be more specific as to your location, what you are interested in driving etc, maybe somebody could help you out. I know when I started with my company, they hired student drivers and rookies, but the economy has got everybody buckling down. If you reallly need a job, they are out there, but sometimes you have to pay your dues before you can eat your cake. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:56 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Hey Joe, I'm sorry to hear about your problem but I'm gonna share some of my experience with you. 1st, if your'e lookin only for a local job, good luck. Most guys who work local have alot of otr experience or know a friend of a friend, etc. I'm not saying that you can't get lucky, but unless you have unlimited time, and funds, you need to take what you can get. I am also simpathatic to your problem of having a new baby on the way. I had to hit the road before my daughters 1st b-day, and have little time with her. Sometimes you have to sacrifice your time with them to feed them. Another issue, is the amount of time that you've had your credentials, and if you've used them. If you got your liscence a year ago, and havr'nt driven since, you might have to take a refresher course before a big company will take you on. If you could be more specific as to your location, what you are interested in driving etc, maybe somebody could help you out. I know when I started with my company, they hired student drivers and rookies, but the economy has got everybody buckling down. If you reallly need a job, they are out there, but sometimes you have to pay your dues before you can eat your cake. Best of luck to you.
Thanks Bulldog. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.
In regards to your comment about taking a refreasher course, i did that over the summer. I understand what your saying about companies not wanting to take you on with such a gap between graduation and application.
I really didn't want to go OTR after graduation as i'd just gotten married and had other opportunities i thought would work out but didn't.
My real desire would be to drive a dump. I live in south jersey, Jackson 7a on the NJTPK to be exact, and there are a lot of dump companies out my way but i can't compete with the other applicants in terms of experience.
I do know a few people who SHOULD really be able to help and do PROMISE a lot but NEVER seem to come through. I'm sorry if i sound like a pathetic mess but i'm just hoping for a break.I try to keep a positive attitude as i know GOD never gives us more then we can handle. It'll work out in the end, i'm sure.
Thanks again for your kind words. They really meant a lot.