Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   just turned 21 years old and looking for advice on which company to drive for (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/39790-just-turned-21-years-old-looking-advice-company-drive.html)

Ready2GoTrucking 04-06-2010 03:59 AM

just turned 21 years old and looking for advice on which company to drive for

I just turned 21 years old and have been around trucking for quite some years now. My uncle use to drive OTR for years and became O/O in his career..He recently got out of OTR back in 2007...And my being around him the years growing up..i loved being around the truck and on the road...So now i'm looking for a company to join that would help me achieve my CDL class A license. I already have a CDL class AP..Does anybody have any advice on a good company that can help me achieve my class A license?? Thanks in advance

repete 04-06-2010 04:38 AM

You will be in a better position if you pay for your own schooling and get your cdl BEFORE hiring on with a company. It will cast you some money but it will be well worth it especially if you have trouble with the company you choose to go with. If you sign on with a "training co. with only a permit you will have to sign a contract agreeing to work for them at a ridiculous low wage and stay there for a year or more. If you leave for whatever reason you will be billed for the "valuable training" you received!
If you have you CDL-A before hand then you have some leverage in not signing a contract.
Do a search on here it's all been covered many times in the past, but don't hesitate to ASK QUESTIONS here or prospective employers

BTW!! Do you have a clean license and background( any felony, or tickets dui) if so save your $$$ cuz you won't get hired
BOL

Fredog 04-06-2010 10:36 AM

If you live in Georgia, I suggest you go to the North Georgia Technical college in Clarksville for your cdl training, you will come out a lot better

Hawkjr 04-06-2010 03:44 PM

My man i knows the feeling!!! Um... i might suggest Roehl as a good company to get on with as they have a terminal in the Atlanta area and they have a training program, But i would go to the Community college first and then jump to there program as you will be ahead in your training process... There might be other local companies that have some type of training programs so check every and any place you can to see what they offer...

But as being 21 your options will be limited (I'm 22 and have a year and a half and im still having a hardtime find a nice company, will i did have one lol) most places want you to be 23, some even 25 to train!!

Ronin 04-06-2010 04:46 PM

I have to agree with hawk, finding a good company while young will be hard/borderline impossible. The companies typically do this for insurance purposes. (risk management and all that)

Ready2GoTrucking 04-06-2010 05:45 PM

Thanks for the info guys...I have a clean background and driving record..And i was kind of wondering if I'd be better off just going to a school...West Central Technical School here in town just recently got a truck driving course and i'm pretty sure i'm eligible for hope grant or something..so I probably wont have to pay too much out of pocket on it...CRST called me this morning wanting me to leave from GA and come to Cedar Rapids, Iowa and take their school and stuff..said i wouldn't get paid for 4 weeks..then i would be on a truck with a trainer for 28 days..then home for about 3 days or so then back out for another 3 to 4 months..He said that the 28 days with a trainer i would make $50 a day flat.. and they need me to sign a 8 month contract.

repete 04-06-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ready2GoTrucking (Post 478319)
Thanks for the info guys...I have a clean background and driving record..And i was kind of wondering if I'd be better off just going to a school...West Central Technical School here in town just recently got a truck driving course and i'm pretty sure i'm eligible for hope grant or something..so I probably wont have to pay too much out of pocket on it...CRST called me this morning wanting me to leave from GA and come to Cedar Rapids, Iowa and take their school and stuff..said i wouldn't get paid for 4 weeks..then i would be on a truck with a trainer for 28 days..then home for about 3 days or so then back out for another 3 to 4 months..He said that the 28 days with a trainer i would make $50 a day flat.. and they need me to sign a 8 month contract.

Use this as a last resort, not cuz it's a bad co. (I know nothing about them) it's just based on the pay. I went with Roehl and bailed after a few weeks, I'm not into creative writeing when it comes to logging also my trainer was an ass. I"m not saying the co was bad just the trainer. The co. did take care of the problem to our mutual satisfaction so score one for them.

Ready2GoTrucking 04-06-2010 07:01 PM

Thanks again for the advice fellas... I will be contacting the local technical school here in town and see about getting all my grants and everything lined up so next quarter I can start classes. Thanks again and I will update this message once i get everything setup. Thanks again!

Ready2GoTrucking 04-07-2010 05:15 PM

I contact the local Truck Driving school in town here yesterday and have everything pretty much setup now.. have a few papers to go and fill out but classes start July 7th. CRST contacted me this morning and i told them i was going to go with the local school here in town and he mentioned to me that I needed to contact him when i get out of the school with my license because everything looks great on my half and there will be no problems getting a job with them.. but i'll make that decision when time gets here.

Hawkjr 04-07-2010 11:50 PM

SAY NO TO CRST!! when you graduate you will probably doing team driving so i highly discourage this..Even tho i dont want to recommend this, look at U.S Xpress, even tho that have All-Auto's they have pretty nice trucks and keep there trucks clean and have a training program.. but you wont have much experience with an 10-speed...But please for my sake, say no to CRST!!

repete 04-10-2010 03:46 AM

What ever company you go with ask if the training truck is dispatched as a solo driver or team. Look for a company that dispatches as solo, that way your trainer is sitting in the jump seat instead of sleeping while you drive and vice-versa. To many new drivers have had there career and sometimes life cut short cuz of that!

Joey Shabadoo 04-10-2010 04:34 AM

Stay away from trucking...nothing but a burn job.
No friends, family, or social life whatsoever.
Some of the worst benefits around unless you go union.
Bad health acquired from poor diet and sitting on your ***** all day.
Work 15 hours, paid for 7.
Drive 1000 miles, paid for 900.
Nights & weekends spent in the truckslop, pickle park, or deserted get-off ramp.
No pay when the wheels stop turning...boatloads of uncompensated time/labor.
Rates are the same now as they were in the late 70's.
Grocery *****houses.

The better (best) driving jobs are drying up.
Most will never see one of these type jobs.
Just forget it, I'm serious.
The rubbishing around for chicken scratch is truly ignorant even if you are a hobby trucker.
.25-.37per mile is a joke. Holy Moly, they paid that 10-15 years ago!

Dave_0755 04-10-2010 05:43 AM

I know a guy that just finished Technical School for truck driving in South Carolina and he said it was a great program. It didn't cost him anything because of the grant from the state he got. He decided to not go into trucking after he finished but that's another story.

As for the trucking company I would first suggest for you to choose what type of run you would like to do. I prefer regional runs. Out 2 to 5 days and back home for a couple then back out again. That way your not catching white line fever. It's a bad disease to have and you can tell the one's that have it. They are cranky as **** and usually are on their last tooth or three. OTR is rough on anyone. My dad used to stay out as much as 4 months at a time with less than a week off before he was rolling again. That was back in the 80's. Most don't keep you out that much but still a 3 to 4 week span between hometime gets old in a hurry.

Several companies offer regional runs. I know Swift, Mid-South Transport, Knight, Arnold, Heartland and some others offer it around the Atlanta area. I would strongly suggest Mid South Transport to you. They have a great hometime and mostly stay regional. I worked for them for about 3 years. I don't know their policy on hiring new drivers. They do have a terminal in Atlanta you can run out of.

You might have to get 6 months to a year experience first but then you can be more picky who you work for. I liked Mid-South myself. The terminal manager in Atlanta wasn't the nicest guy in the world but the manager in Nashville made up for him and then some. If i was based out of Nashville I would probably still be working for them. People, routes, trucks, and schedules make a huge difference in a company you work for. It's not all about the money and benefits.

BanditsCousin 04-10-2010 06:55 AM

Let me ask this...

Why do you want to go into trucking?

Money, adventure, career, lost a bet...?

I got into it because I was around it a lot and spent many a summers on the road running to the coast with my Dad who ran hhg (household). It was a lot different experience thn if he ran freight and had to crank miles out. I mean he ran miles, but reloading and unloading process took time and we sight see(ed).
Inevitably, I got my CDL in college and started HHG and prusued it after graduation.

I guess I can relate, as I tested the waters at 22, also with a trucking background. Answer my question with whatever answer and I'll glad to give you my opinion with what I would do in your shoes, or just advice. No smart arsey remarks.....well, maybe if you say something off the wall like you LOVE buffets, etc. :)

The post above about being rode hard and put away and paid crap are true for the newb in most cases. If it's something you wanna do, and pay isn't an issue at all (and I'm talking enough to eat and have a little spending money ONLY and no bills at home), you could go with these training companies. Just set your mind to it and make a commitment to stick the terms of the contract out. Newbs willing to work cheap and go through the company sponsored traing (a major profit source for the carrier) and allow yourself 12-18 months to do trucking and see how it pans out.

You're young enough to kill a year seeing the country and getting by. But again, I am interested in your answer on the reason you want to get into trucking in more detail.

Hawkjr 04-10-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanditsCousin (Post 478497)
Let me ask this...

Why do you want to go into trucking?

I am interested in your answer on the reason you want to get into trucking in more detail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ready2GoTrucking
And my being around him the years growing up..i loved being around the truck and on the road

that all you need to know Bandit, its that simple, at least it was for me...

But what Joey said is half true and half out of hatred for OTR .. but your first couple years in trucking is probably going to borderline suck or just flat out suck... All depends how you take it and whats fun to you, odds are your going to be in a slow truck, have to sit at times at truckstops for a day or so and so on... but just put up wit what you can, try to find a regional spot where your out for 6 to 7 days and home 2.. Just know it wont be easy for the first couple of years plan and simple!!

BanditsCousin 04-10-2010 10:05 PM

Yeah, I know he was in love with trucks and the road, just looking for a more in depth reason like mentioned...like buffets. Maybe he's a loner, maybe he simply loves it, maybe hot dogs under a heat lamp are his favorite dish, maybe he wants to see each coast hundreds of times, or maybe just the money (however much or little it may be).

From my point of view, as a younger member on here as an OTR driver, I could give my perspective as well. The above information is pretty accurate though, and I won't discredit it one bit. That is all I want to contribute and help him do what he's gotta do.

Kinda reminds me of a slightly younger Double L. I miss that guy!

Sealord 04-11-2010 12:12 AM

Wannabe

Ready2GoTrucking - get the company you want to drive for lined up before you go to school. Would really suck to find out you have to be over 23 before you can to what you want. Won't even mention you'll be competing for that seat against experienced drivers including O/Os who lost their business due to the down economy. BOL

BanditsCousin 04-11-2010 12:42 AM

Real good advice. Setup a plan with a carrier and follow though. Take names for any guaratee and march on. My recommendation is Roehl , but I have no firsthand knowledge. This site can can give you aninclination and aspects first hand of carriers.

rigidsporty 04-11-2010 02:08 AM

First of all pay no attention to those who say there is no future in trucking... if it wasnt for my "class-a" I probably wouldnt be employed right now. Having a CDL doesnt mean the only job you can do/get is an over the road job. There are MANY other jobs out there that require a CDL without having to give up your current life to get. Granted most wont pay what OTR pays, but if money is all your interested in than I suggest bank robbery as your career as choice. LTL and food service delivery are just a couple that spring to mind. Personally I gave up $800 a week (take home) for $10/hr because I think happiness is more important than a few bucks. I'm home every night, off weekends, and I'm not handcuffed to a steering wheel. My 'free time" isnt spending 3 days in the bunk of a company truck watching the same movies on a 13" screen.

As far as "starting out," well there are several options to choose from. Most LTL require a year experience, but food service delivery companies will sometimes hire with no experience. Shop around, comb the classifieds, and more importantly... dont give up.

GMAN 04-11-2010 01:10 PM

You may check with Milliis. I believe that they have a training office in Cartersville. Southern Express is in Tunnel Hill, just north of Dalton. They had a training school at one time. I believe they mostly run to the left coast and back each week. As others have mentioned, I would check to see if you can find a company at your age before spending money on training and getting your CDL. Many carriers will not hire a driver who is younger than 23.

GMAN 04-11-2010 01:14 PM

I will mention one other thing. It is critical for you to get at least a year or two under your belt. Once you get 2 years of experience without any incidents, tickets or accidents you should be able to go pretty much anywhere you want. I would try to stay with the same company for all or most of that time. Carriers are becoming much more selective in whom they hire. Carriers look for quality drivers who have longevity with a carrier and don't move around so much.

Justruckin 04-11-2010 01:59 PM

I had one outfit that was looking for some casual help up here, told me I was over qualified! Twenty years expereince, no tickets, accidents or felonies. Over qualified to drive a truck!

We never got to the pay part, they were probably trying not to insult me. I have noticed that the pay is now about the same, or less than when I started back in the 80s.

GMAN 04-11-2010 02:04 PM

Some carriers have cut pay in an effort to survive. It is still a mystery to me why this industry refuses to pass along increasing operating costs like any other industry. Everything we purchase comes from companies who pass along their increased costs. Trucking seems to want to absorb any increases. :confused:

Justruckin 04-11-2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 478590)
Some carriers have cut pay in an effort to survive. It is still a mystery to me why this industry refuses to pass along increasing operating costs like any other industry. Everything we purchase comes from companies who pass along their increased costs. Trucking seems to want to absorb any increases. :confused:

That is why I hung it up. I was burned and stressed out. When my accounts started shutting their doors or cutting rates to $1 buck that was about it. Tried leasing on, not worth the effort and finished under another guys authority that let me do my own thing with brokers, etc. That was a year ago, and I don't miss it one bit.

In fact, everyone I know personally that was in trucking are now gone. My buddy just sold his truck and trailer, and is moving to Texas to sell cars at a car dealership where his wife works.

Hawkjr 04-11-2010 03:13 PM

Millis Transfer Inc, The #1 Trucking Choice Across America

yeah check them out bro, they have a school in GA... and they say they offer regional, but you might have to run OTR for a few months before jumping over but check that website out..

GMAN 04-11-2010 03:16 PM

You can still earn a decent living in this business. There will be changes over the next few years. We either need to adapt or work to make changes that will be good for us as an industry. It is difficult to accept a pay cut. For those who have experienced a pay cut you may consider that you still have a job. It is still better to have a job than not.

Double R 04-11-2010 06:44 PM

Try SYGMA. They train thier drivers. They have a locastion south of Atlanta.

PEPSICO(PEPSI) trains drivers also.

Also try US Foods, Sysco, and PFG. They all say one year but that is not all ways the case.

jd112488 04-12-2010 06:27 PM

i am going to catch hell for this one but here goes....fed ex ground will hire a student driver out of driving school. you have to team for 6 months before you can run alone but it is all terminal to terminal drop and hook. none of the loading and unloading at grocery warehouses. pay will be similar or better than the big training companies. drawbacks are you work for a contractor who may or may not take taxes and have benefits. some of the larger contractors have everything most of the smaller ones do not. i work for a smaller one in columbus where i get a 1099..but i love my job, and i have a three year plan in the works...involves the wife finishing school and getting a good job. anyway, if you are close to the terminals in that area may wanna check them out.

Joey Shabadoo 04-14-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd112488 (Post 478705)
drawbacks are you work for a contractor who may or may not take taxes and have benefits. some of the larger contractors have everything most of the smaller ones do not. i work for a smaller one in columbus where i get a 1099

What a joke!!! :roll:

Doctor Who 04-14-2010 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Shabadoo (Post 478870)

Yeah you're absolutely correct..... Mr. Shabadoo is a BIG JOKE!!!!!

Mackman 04-14-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Shabadoo (Post 478870)

I agree 1099 are a joke. But like JD said this isnt his life long plan. So for the time being it may be ok for him. Then when his wife gets done school he can sit back and live off wife-support. :thumbsup: Thats what i would do lol.

But overall i would try to steer clear of all 1099 jobs.

jd112488 04-14-2010 05:16 PM

1099 is not for everyone...yes. but works for me. i was just throwing a suggestion out there to someone that wants to work. and like i said but seemed to have been overlooked..not all contractors pay on 1099.

joey shabadickhead...how much of YOUR money do you keep all year. your check has taxes deducted and you get X amount back as your refund. I pay nothing in all year and paid only 1000 dollars at the end of the year. your extreme hatred for anyone other than yourself, and the hatred you got for anybody that does a job in another way that you do is what the real joke is.

the 1099 thing is not for all and to be honest scared me at first. but it seems to be working for me..once you learn how to play the games with the IRS, i get to keep all of my money and they get none.

I asked joey a few years ago when he was here under another of his many names who he drove for. i asked if his job was so wonderful if he could share that information with others. then one day while he expressing his extreme discontent for truck drivers in general and for any carrier that employs truck drivers we discovered that in addition to his well paid local job that he hauls mail on the weekends..in a big truck. why would someone that thinks his job is so great and pays so much better than otr would either work more driving another truck on the weekends. why would said person need the extra money. if he/she dont need the extra money then why have more hours to log which creates less time for the great local job. or better yet, which i assume is being done, why run illegal and risk the fines and punishment for a few extra bucks..especially when the extra bucks are coming from doing something that he/she seems to despise so much. WHY?

and why the constant need to come here and run down good people that are supporting or trying to support their family? there are still actually good people out there, this board is full of them, that want to work. they want to work so bad to support their family that they will give up time at home, time partying and drinking, time away from kids school function, kids ballgames, all kinds of stuff...just so they can provide some sort of life that sitting on their ass would not provide. a life where thay can buy a house, a car, put their kids through college someday..hell a life where food is on the table and shoes are on their feet. where in the **** do you get off putting these people down you miserable peice of ****. if i were even a fraction as unhappy as you appear to be i would shoot myself in the head..but dont worry. as long as you got that attitude, and put down these good hard working people..i am confident that someone, someday is at least gonna beat that ****ing head of yours to a pulp.

sincerely..JED...proud husband, father, and truck driver!!

Double R 04-14-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd112488 (Post 478933)
1099 is not for everyone...yes. but works for me. i was just throwing a suggestion out there to someone that wants to work. and like i said but seemed to have been overlooked..not all contractors pay on 1099.

joey shabadickhead...how much of YOUR money do you keep all year. your check has taxes deducted and you get X amount back as your refund. I pay nothing in all year and paid only 1000 dollars at the end of the year. your extreme hatred for anyone other than yourself, and the hatred you got for anybody that does a job in another way that you do is what the real joke is.

the 1099 thing is not for all and to be honest scared me at first. but it seems to be working for me..once you learn how to play the games with the IRS, i get to keep all of my money and they get none.

I asked joey a few years ago when he was here under another of his many names who he drove for. i asked if his job was so wonderful if he could share that information with others. then one day while he expressing his extreme discontent for truck drivers in general and for any carrier that employs truck drivers we discovered that in addition to his well paid local job that he hauls mail on the weekends..in a big truck. why would someone that thinks his job is so great and pays so much better than otr would either work more driving another truck on the weekends. why would said person need the extra money. if he/she dont need the extra money then why have more hours to log which creates less time for the great local job. or better yet, which i assume is being done, why run illegal and risk the fines and punishment for a few extra bucks..especially when the extra bucks are coming from doing something that he/she seems to despise so much. WHY?

and why the constant need to come here and run down good people that are supporting or trying to support their family? there are still actually good people out there, this board is full of them, that want to work. they want to work so bad to support their family that they will give up time at home, time partying and drinking, time away from kids school function, kids ballgames, all kinds of stuff...just so they can provide some sort of life that sitting on their ass would not provide. a life where thay can buy a house, a car, put their kids through college someday..hell a life where food is on the table and shoes are on their feet. where in the **** do you get off putting these people down you miserable peice of ****. if i were even a fraction as unhappy as you appear to be i would shoot myself in the head..but dont worry. as long as you got that attitude, and put down these good hard working people..i am confident that someone, someday is at least gonna beat that ****ing head of yours to a pulp.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::c lap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Joey Shabadoo 04-15-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd112488 (Post 478933)

You are not a contractor.
You are an employee.
No way you should be getting a 1099....that's ILLEGAL.
You should be getting a W-2 and classified as an EMPLOYEE.
You think 1099 is a great deal...because you don't know any better...but the only one making out is the CONTRACTOR who is saving money by screwing you over...only you're too dumb to figure it out.
Isn't that ****bag outfit you pull for getting sued for that 1099 BS?
Defend that crappy job all you want...when you or your wife or one of your kids in that avatar get sick or injured and need health insurance...what are you going to do?
You think the contractor you work for (as an EMPLOYEE) is going to help you out?
What about FedEx...a $30 billion company?
They're gonna tell you to pound salt.

You better wise up quick, driver.
One medical emergency...and your whole house of cards will come tumbling down...you will be WIPED out.
No bennies, no retirement, 1099...people like you are ruining the job for guys that want good pay.
Go compare your job to what a UPS feeder driver makes...for doing the EXACT same thing...look at the retirement and health bennies and pay he's getting for his family.
But you work for that chicken**** outfit and think you hit the trucking powerball.
Only one getting played is YOU, sucker!!!

BanditsCousin 04-15-2010 05:05 AM

That's assuming he doesn't have a private plan or on his wife's insurance.

I'd need to see proof such a thing is illegal. I worke under a 1099 for an Atlas agent from one SMART, but cheap owner. I know there is a misclassification from contractor and employee basis, and that is a given. And I think FedEx ground lost the lawsuits and that has been settles a while, and Jed doesn't work in that division of Ground anyway.

Mackman 04-15-2010 12:39 PM

Im making popcorn for this show!!!! Anyone want some??:smokin:

Roadhog 04-15-2010 07:42 PM

Thankie sir!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...763e66ea0a.gif

Ready2GoTrucking 04-16-2010 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double R (Post 478627)
Try SYGMA. They train thier drivers. They have a locastion south of Atlanta.

PEPSICO(PEPSI) trains drivers also.

Also try US Foods, Sysco, and PFG. They all say one year but that is not all ways the case.

Thanks for the advice..even though some don't agree with people getting started in the trucking industry...Its what I have been wanting to do for years. I rode in the truck with my uncle every summer when I wasn't in school..So its not like a rode in the truck for acouple days and that was it...as far as the companies..Thanks to everyone who was able to help me there..I know there is a Sygma terminal here in Town..I have an aunt that has been with US Food Service for years..so she may be able to get me in the door over there.

Orangetxguy 04-17-2010 01:21 PM

Hey.........JED?? Why don't you go ahead and tell the young lad what you really think??

:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigthumbsup:

Young Lad...........You don't need to dismiss "Joeyshabawho" out of hand. He has this stick up his *utt, over OTR companies, because of his own bad experience with some outfit, like CRST or some such.

As far as "Joey" is concerned, the only good truck driving position is a UNION truck driving position. HE just doesn't want you hiring into his barn.

Jed is right.

Joey is right.

YOU are awfully young......so Pepsi, Coke, SYSCO...companies that can use a strong, YOUNG back, are great places for you to start. Most companies are going to require that you be 23 years old, before you cross state lines in their equipment. Quite a few will require that you be 25.

IF driving is up your alley, then by all means, learn the profession. Find out what companies have to offer..........and accept the best you can find.

Fourcats 04-18-2010 03:19 AM

Get out and see the WORLD, you can drive the rest of your life...check out the Military if you are able. You could be flying a JET.