Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Signature on log book (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/37858-signature-log-book.html)

Fredog 07-01-2009 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipy46 (Post 454850)
Its best that if you are going to die in a Big Rig......do it legally. :thumbsup:

and hopefully dont take anybody with you

jonp 07-08-2009 02:08 AM

I have been around and around with a couple of companies on this question. Some wanted it done at the beginning of the day and some at the end. It seems common sense to me to finish the day, do a post-trip and then check the log and sign it. However, I have had a couple of dot guys want it done at the beginning of the day and my present company wants it like that so I do it. I've never gotten a ticket for it, though. I'd just ask my company how they want it done and do it like that. if you dont sign it and a dot officer says you should I would sign it right in front of him on the spot and say "no Problem, my company wants it done at the end of the day but your the boss"

jonp 07-08-2009 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69XKE (Post 451956)
11 years, I've always signed mine at the end of the day. Never an issue.

I guess I take this view: When signing a legal document, you don't sign it then fill in the blanks (say when you're buying a car...though some dealerships get away with it!). This may not be a document in the same way, but that's the way I've always looked at it.

I guess I could look at the ambiguity either way or vice versa. :p

again, I never got a ticket doing it like this. I would just ask my company what they want and do it like that. I don't really think the dot cares much. You are responsible for everything on the log anyways.

Rev.Vassago 07-08-2009 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonp (Post 455521)
You are responsible for everything on the log anyways.

^this. The FMCSA even states that the log need not be signed to cite the driver for a log violation. When it is signed is really an irrelevant point. It just needs to be signed before it is submitted to the motor carrier.

jonp 07-08-2009 09:00 PM

yup. if anyone out there thinks they can run 500 miles in 7 hrs and the dot wont shut you down and give you a ticket because you didnt sign your book your dreaming. I'm just saying they don't really care one way or the other.

chris1 07-14-2009 01:32 PM

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f7...go/inspect.jpg
This one feels that it must be the end of the day.

Rev.Vassago 07-14-2009 02:59 PM

Wow, that was one anal DOT cop. But I'm sure the 3000 lbs over had something to do with it.

chris1 07-14-2009 03:46 PM

Thank you for fixing that. Sometimes a driver just gets lazy. Still don't think it's clear as when to sign though.

matcat 07-14-2009 08:44 PM

Ooo makes me want to put up a scan of my Level 3 inspection ;) All mine lists though is 'No record of duty status', seeing how I was 3000 over on my tandems, GA doesn't let you slide tandems to make it legal, asked for my log book, which was 2 days behind, so I said I must of left it at my sisters house in FL earlyer in the day, took a $150 ticket hit for it, but oh well.

That is straight silly, no commodity listed?! What an ahole

chris1 07-15-2009 11:03 AM

Commodity or BOL numbers are a requirement. The driver had the previous commodity listed,just didn't list the new.
As far as the overweight this was the conversation.
Is the air scale broke?
No
Why didn't you slide it then?
I flipped the switch on the dash and it didn't unlock the trailer.
Was 50' to far to walk back and pull the air switch manually?
Give me the ticket. I'll pay it.