Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   If you actually care....read this... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/37831-if-you-actually-care-read.html)

wsyrob 05-10-2009 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pack_Rat (Post 449574)
Sure glad we do not use qualcom or any other tracking device!!!!

If you carry a cell phone and have it on while you drive you can be tracked. Have a wreck and those records will be used against you.

matcat 05-10-2009 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pack_Rat (Post 449574)
Sure glad we do not use qualcom or any other tracking device!!!!

Me either, YAY! But I do hope you all realize just about ANY late modal truck has GPS system in it. This Volvo I drive, even though owned by an owner op, that he bought from a dealership, and it is an 04, has a GPS tracking device in it which the financing company has access to to track the truck down should he ever default. Now I do not know if this is accessible by USDOT though, or if it even logs any data other then when asked for it like how onstar works (It doesn't report location unless you initiate a connection to the system, or OnStar initiates a connection, which they do unless there is a reason such as calling and saying your car is lost or stolen).

Quite honestly, this is a BIG intrusion into privacy. Any system that can be abused, will be abused, now we have the government tracking the majority of the trucks on the road under the guise of compliance of HOS regulations.

Also of note is that though GPS technology has come a long way in the last 20 years, it still has issues. Though it is rare, the government does shutdown the satellites from time to time, or limit them, for purposes of maintenance, realignment, and military exercises, and they usually do it with little to know warning. Also solar flare activity can and does interfere, as well as natural magnetic field activity, and man made interference.

You don't always notice these anomalies while driving down the road simply because consumer GPS devices such as navigation systems, use special subroutines to guesstimate actual location when a signal is not as it should be, but that requires the GPS to be on and tracking for a time period to have the proper data to do that. If you just processed raw GPS signals and had it represented on a map, it would be bouncing all over the place within a 1 mile radius of where you are really sitting, and if any of the above mentioned anomalies are going on, that bounce can go as far as a couple hundred miles!

I know this because I have done programming with GPS systems before, and I had to learn how to code the subroutines that 'stabilize' the signal to give more accurate result. So the real problem here, is if the location is only being recorded every 'x' amount of minutes, the GPS is not 'stabilized' and can give very erratic results. Even if it was say every 15 minutes, it will still usually be accurate to within about 20 feet, BUT you will get those anomalies from time to time that will show you being 200 miles away from where you are, which I would venture to say could happen probably every 100 'pings' or so, but that could vary widely based on where you are, solar flare conditions, etc.

Honestly I do not forsee too many issues with accuracy, but they will occur.

matcat 05-10-2009 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wsyrob (Post 449584)
If you carry a cell phone and have it on while you drive you can be tracked. Have a wreck and those records will be used against you.

Cell phone tracking is an iffy subject, unless you have location turned on (all phones have this option, it is required by federal law), the network has no access to the phones GPS tracking unless you are connected to a 911 center, and no records are kept. However cell tower triangulation is constant, BUT it is very inaccurate for location, and cannot give speed data at all.

wsyrob 05-10-2009 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matcat (Post 449586)
Cell phone tracking is an iffy subject, unless you have location turned on (all phones have this option, it is required by federal law), the network has no access to the phones GPS tracking unless you are connected to a 911 center, and no records are kept. However cell tower triangulation is constant, BUT it is very inaccurate for location, and cannot give speed data at all.

True but it sure could screw up the double log book/phantom team driver types that were several hundred miles away from where they said they took a break.

GMAN 05-10-2009 10:35 AM

Just wait until they get the EOBR's. If successful we will all need to buy these recorders so we can be tracked. Big brother at work.

zipy46 05-10-2009 12:12 PM

Our safety dept reminds of this every now and then.

Our dispatch/planning dept also has a electronic map that looks sort of like air traffic control,

It shows where you are,

...if you are running on time...and will trigger a 14 clock if you move the truck more than 1500 feet.

Oddly enough...if it comes down to a service failure...or the 14 clock...
they have been known to 'overlook' the clock.

Go figure

Windwalker 05-10-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 449610)
Just wait until they get the EOBR's. If successful we will all need to buy these recorders so we can be tracked. Big brother at work.

I'm simply going to put in for my retirement and let the rest of you worry about it.:clap::lol2::smokin:

wsyrob 05-10-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipy46 (Post 449615)
Oddly enough...if it comes down to a service failure...or the 14 clock...
they have been known to 'overlook' the clock.

Go figure

It boils down to a bottom line business decision for companies. Given the choice between losing a multimillion dollar customer and a $30,000 DOT fine coming out of a log audit, they will choose the fine every time. That doesn't mean they won't hang the driver out to dry if they get caught.

zipy46 05-10-2009 02:28 PM

Its a pisser...:(

I used to show up here at the board ranting about forcing these companies to play straight pool
and run their drivers legal so we would not be framed to take the fall for them...

All my wishes have backfired...!

This legal pressure has simply taken the definition of 'Forced Dispatch' to a new level.

Where I work for example you have basically relinquished your log book to the planners...

You run when they say you run...7 times out of 10 its on little sleep and running all night and into the morning.

...be careful what one wishes for they told me when i was little

zipy46 05-10-2009 02:29 PM

The secret to trucking is being able to sleep in the day like one of those creatures

you see on Wild Kingdom :)