Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Medical / Dental Care on the Road (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/37592-medical-dental-care-road.html)

matcat 04-07-2009 07:25 PM

Medical / Dental Care on the Road

Well I have an abscessed tooth, I have called probably 10 dentists in the area about getting an antibiotic prescription but all of them won't call one in unless I go in for a visit. None of them have truck parking (surprise surprise), and all are trying to refer me to a hospital. I really don't want to go to a hospital because I don't have insurance. So anyone have any ideas? Not to mention that tomorrow I load up to go to Cali (Im in VA), so it isn't like I am going to have much time after today, I will have 4 days to get to cali which means I will be doing 11 hr days for the next 4 days!

dobry4u 04-07-2009 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matcat (Post 445635)
Well I have an abscessed tooth, I have called probably 10 dentists in the area about getting an antibiotic prescription but all of them won't call one in unless I go in for a visit. None of them have truck parking (surprise surprise), and all are trying to refer me to a hospital. I really don't want to go to a hospital because I don't have insurance. So anyone have any ideas? Not to mention that tomorrow I load up to go to Cali (Im in VA), so it isn't like I am going to have much time after today, I will have 4 days to get to cali which means I will be doing 11 hr days for the next 4 days!

Go to a ready care place, .....walk in doctors' offices. They should be able to see you. You'll probably have to take a taxi. Cheaper than an emergency dentist visit. They'll treat your infection and you can go to a T/S with a dentist when you get a chance or google dentist for your next load assignment. HTH

matcat 04-07-2009 08:00 PM

Man I just went into the T/S to go to the bathroom and I look like the elephant man in the mirror! I am going to have to go to local hospital, I called a few places around here and the hospital is my only option.

I have had abscesses like this before, and it is not safe to let them go untreated, can actually be deadly.

--grande-- 04-07-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matcat (Post 445637)
Man I just went into the T/S to go to the bathroom and I look like the elephant man in the mirror! I am going to have to go to local hospital, I called a few places around here and the hospital is my only option.

I have had abscesses like this before, and it is not safe to let them go untreated, can actually be deadly.

What part of Ca are you going to, the dentists my wife goes to kicks butt. He just pulled a tooth that was in the same condition that yours is in. Took him about 5 min, no pain, was back eating real food the next day. Your probally going to SoCa, but if your ever up around Hollister he is the man to see. I was a walk in to boot :thumbsup:

This coming from a guy that hates dentists :lol:

Christianson David P Dmd
890 Sunset Drive
Hollister, CA 95023

Phone: (831) 637-7401

matcat 04-08-2009 12:51 AM

Well I went to the hospital, all I was expecting was a simple here is a antibiotic script, but noooo, the dr decided to drain the abscess, put me on a 1 hour antibiotic drip, did some blood tests, took x-rays. He walks back in and says, "I want to schedule you with an oral surgent tomorrow" I was like what, I am supposed to get a load going to cali tomorrow!!!

But at either rate I got a script for antibiotics and happy pills :) Not that I can really use the happy pills :(

matcat 04-08-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by --grande-- (Post 445650)
What part of Ca are you going to, the dentists my wife goes to kicks butt. He just pulled a tooth that was in the same condition that yours is in. Took him about 5 min, no pain, was back eating real food the next day. Your probally going to SoCa, but if your ever up around Hollister he is the man to see. I was a walk in to boot :thumbsup:

This coming from a guy that hates dentists :lol:

Christianson David P Dmd
890 Sunset Drive
Hollister, CA 95023

Phone: (831) 637-7401

I am supposed to be getting a load to take me to Ontario, and from there a load going to SF then a load going back to Ontario to get a load going back to SF :)

Mackman 04-08-2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matcat (Post 445679)
Well I went to the hospital, all I was expecting was a simple here is a antibiotic script, but noooo, the dr decided to drain the abscess, put me on a 1 hour antibiotic drip, did some blood tests, took x-rays. He walks back in and says, "I want to schedule you with an oral surgent tomorrow" I was like what, I am supposed to get a load going to cali tomorrow!!!

But at either rate I got a script for antibiotics and happy pills :) Not that I can really use the happy pills :(

Are they going to bill you for that?? Since you dont have insurance

matcat 04-08-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman (Post 445686)
Are they going to bill you for that?? Since you dont have insurance

Well I highly doubt it will be done pro bono

matcat 04-08-2009 01:16 AM

Well on the subject of happy pills, are they legal if I just take them at night after I am done driving? Or does the FMSCA say I cant take them at all

repete 04-08-2009 07:52 AM

some of the truck stops have that PDMD office in them and I believe some also have dentist's in them check them out. I got a flu shot there at no charge and they are really helpful