Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   To everything there is a season (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/36237-everything-there-season.html)

Windwalker 11-24-2008 02:22 PM

You don't really have to go into high range. I've gone into 4th or 5th, and gotten out too. The best is not to start spinning and shine up the surface you're standing on. The temperature of the tires makes a difference too. A cold tire gets more traction than a warm one. If you've been running 40 or 50 miles, your tires are warmed up. They will slip on snow faster than if you've been sitting for the last 2 hours.

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-24-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 425273)
Most people don't have a "real chain" either, so they go out and buy one before they need it.:roll2:

Just remember the "5 P's".....proper planning prevents poor performance.

That would fit into the 5 p's you listed, now would'nt it ...or does carrying traction devices in winter months not fit your idea of proper planning ... Oh, But then again ...it's hard to get a keyboard stuck in snow/ice .

belpre122 11-24-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeeTURBO (Post 425292)
You don't really have to go into high range. I've gone into 4th or 5th, and gotten out too. The best is not to start spinning and shine up the surface you're standing on. The temperature of the tires makes a difference too. A cold tire gets more traction than a warm one. If you've been running 40 or 50 miles, your tires are warmed up. They will slip on snow faster than if you've been sitting for the last 2 hours.

I dunno WW. I tried everything for around 30 minutes. Was ready to call for a tow. Popped her up to 6th and I was outta there. That easy. Believe me, I tried 4th, 5th, and everything else that I could think of. I was somewhat skeptical about the High Range advice................not anymore.

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-24-2008 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeeTURBO (Post 425292)

on an 8spd 5th would be high side .

Rev.Vassago 11-24-2008 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's (Post 425297)
That would fit into the 5 p's you listed, now would'nt it ...or does carrying traction devices in winter months not fit your idea of proper planning ... Oh, But then again ...it's hard to get a keyboard stuck in snow/ice .

I don't carry highway tire chains, nor do I have a reason to.:roll2:

Windwalker 11-24-2008 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 425301)

I've been known to carry a few bags of them under the bunk to get by DOT in the western states. Chained up once to get out of the Petro in Reno, and took them off as soon as I crossed into CA.:D:lol:

Windwalker 11-24-2008 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's (Post 425299)
on an 8spd 5th would be high side .

8 speed??? Are they still around???? Even 9 speed is about gone. All but history...:eek1::eek2:

Rev.Vassago 11-24-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeeTURBO (Post 425306)
I've been known to carry a few bags of them under the bunk to get by DOT in the western states. Chained up once to get out of the Petro in Reno, and took them off as soon as I crossed into CA.:D:lol:

I don't get out that way. The furthest west I go is Texarkana.

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-24-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 425301)

Then you must not be a real staunch supporter of those 5 p's you listed...Or do you only practice them in the summer by carrying ...beach chair...Corona...and sun lotion ?

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-24-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeeTURBO (Post 425308)
8 speed??? Are they still around???? Even 9 speed is about gone. All but history...:eek1::eek2:

All Werners trucks were auto 8-9's whch is just an 8spd with 9th od automatic in the 8th gear slot .