Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Still around and looking (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/33324-still-around-looking.html)

bentstrider 04-16-2008 09:09 AM

Well, even if you do have to deal with a refresher course when you get back in, I would still take the offer no matter what.

I've already gone six months without driving the truck and know I'll need another session of driver-training before I'll be let back on.
As far as learning my lesson goes, I've basically gotten to the point where if someone mentions the word "sleep", I'll find someplace to lie down immediately.

As to why I intend to return to this line of work, we've all got our reasons for liking it after some point.
I just like it due to the solitude and not having to deal with others all the time.

matcat 04-16-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bentstrider
Well, even if you do have to deal with a refresher course when you get back in, I would still take the offer no matter what.

I've already gone six months without driving the truck and know I'll need another session of driver-training before I'll be let back on.
As far as learning my lesson goes, I've basically gotten to the point where if someone mentions the word "sleep", I'll find someplace to lie down immediately.

As to why I intend to return to this line of work, we've all got our reasons for liking it after some point.
I just like it due to the solitude and not having to deal with others all the time.

I love it for a few reasons, one, you don't have a boss breathing down your neck all day, two, I am somewhat of a loner, three, I LOVE to travel and see new things :).

got mud? 04-17-2008 06:15 AM

matcat the one thing that you need to do if you really want to get back in a truck is lose the defensive attitude. Any prospective employer is going to be looking to see if you knew what you did wrong and if you learned from it. making excuses or trying to justify what happened only shows them that you have not learned from the past.

did safety talk to you after the accident? were you defensive and making excuses? I would imagine that is part of why you were let go.

I don't know the whole story but if I had to guess it went something like this

you where pulling that hill with 5k in the box and for once it was nice to feel like a billy big rigger not being in sixth gear just trying to make the hill. the problem is you should have expected someone to be pulling that hill doing only 35 with their flashers on ( fog or no fog) you should have been in the fast lane.

with the fog you should have expected someone to be driving slow in the right lane. thats what people do in the fog.

the bottom line is you where driving faster than you could see and react safely for the conditions, and you compounded it by doing it in the wrong lane.

just admit that when asked and explain why you think you learned your lesson and people will let it go.

like they say every thing after but is bull sh!t

Orangetxguy 04-18-2008 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by got mud?
matcat the one thing that you need to do if you really want to get back in a truck is lose the defensive attitude. Any prospective employer is going to be looking to see if you knew what you did wrong and if you learned from it. making excuses or trying to justify what happened only shows them that you have not learned from the past.

did safety talk to you after the accident? were you defensive and making excuses? I would imagine that is part of why you were let go.

I don't know the whole story but if I had to guess it went something like this

you where pulling that hill with 5k in the box and for once it was nice to feel like a billy big rigger not being in sixth gear just trying to make the hill. the problem is you should have expected someone to be pulling that hill doing only 35 with their flashers on ( fog or no fog) you should have been in the fast lane.

with the fog you should have expected someone to be driving slow in the right lane. thats what people do in the fog.

the bottom line is you where driving faster than you could see and react safely for the conditions, and you compounded it by doing it in the wrong lane.

just admit that when asked and explain why you think you learned your lesson and people will let it go.

like they say every thing after but is bull sh!t

GM gets it!!!

golfhobo 04-19-2008 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Quote:

Video recorded evidence can go both ways, if something was truly my fault, it could, if it was not my fault, video evidence could also save me.
Yeah, end even if the evidence "saved" you, the fact that you were running a video camera easily within your reach, along with the laptop on your passenger seat, you would get nailed for negligence.

:roll:

I'm not saying give it up, though that would be preferable. But I am saying put it somewhere where it's out of sight and out of mind. You don't seem to be getting that.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Twilight...... have you seen this month's issue of Road King (the T/A magazine available at any T/A truckstop?) They are GLORIFYING some truckers who "podcast" live while driving!!! (Like the VIEW out the window of a Class 8 is any different than the view from a 4wheeler!!) :shock: :roll:

Funny.... I didn't see ONE remark from a "Safety Manager" about the dangers of this practice!! :shock:

IF this is such a dangerous practice..... I would like to see some CONSTRUCTIVE comment, if not INDIGNANT response, from those who hold our careers in their hands!!

We ALL know how the world is progressing towards this "instant stardom/ REALITY show!" But, no one is saying "slow down!" Sure.... you can bust the balls of a newbie on this board...... but, where is your input where it really matters? :roll:

The World, and "profession" of trucking is changing DRAMATICALLY every day! MANY threads on this forum alone have attested to the sorry state of TRAINING. And WHO is responsible for the STANDARDS of "training?" I would HAVE to surmise it would be the Safety Directors!

Maybe I'm wrong.... but, YEARS in the military and MIC have taught me otherwise! I've seen REGS for training and SAFETY that would (apparently) make you FAINT!!

I'm just saying that I'd like to see you quote ONE regulation, or ONE training criteria to support your viewpoint, before hearing you bust the b@lls of a noobie for making a mistake!

I don't mean to bust YOUR b@lls, Twilight...... but, from what I've SEEN of "safety departments/managers" in this business..... I'm NOT impressed!

I've had to tell THEM, many times, what the HOS regs are and mean. And, I've seen them bend the rules if if helps dispatch move the freight. I'm sure it's not the same everywhere..... but, personally..... I don't know what MOST of them DO for their pay! ME?? I drive the truck! And THAT is the fundament of this industry! If the Safety Dept has no INTEGRAL funtion in the business, they are just a drain on financial resources!

I DO know that YOU have tried to impress on the O.P., the possible results of his poor jucgement (IMHO due to poor training,) but is THAT all you do? Where do we stand on Standardized Training? How about Third Party Testing Certification? Do you just ASSUME that every warm body you let drive a truck KNOWS the basics of "safe driving for conditions?" Or, are you ACTIVELY involved in certifying that he IS??

I would say that the most IMPORTANT aspect of truck driving is SAFETY! But, I don't see the department responsible for that being held RESPOSIBLE for the same! It seems that the most CONVENIENT way to "manage" a high safety rating, is to FIRE those who don't live up to it! But, the TRAINERS don't get FIRED.... and neither do the Safety Directors! :roll:

I can't help but believe that a 120% turnover rate in drivers has LESS to do with the drivers than it does with the MANAGERS! At EVERY level!

"Hire a POORLY trained driver, and if he makes a mistake.... FIRE him and hire another! As long as they are standing in line to get "in," WHY bother making a "professional" out of them? What have YOU (as a company) got "invested" in HIS life? :roll:

Twilight Flyer 04-21-2008 01:42 PM

Three things, Hobo:

#1. I am not the safety director here, nor do I even work in safety. Even still, we have policies in place in our company regarding active gadgets (cams, laptops, etc.) within reach. Hell, we won't even take a cell phone call from one of our drivers that is driving. He must be stopped and pulled over.

#2. We do not take trainees here...never have and never will.

#3. I absolutely will not take a step back from advocating safety. I have a really big problem with drivers attempting stupid driver tricks and I will say so without apology. I don't want my family to be the next statistic because some idiot thought it was more important to adjust a dashcam than keep his eyes on the road. I'm not pointing that comment specifically at the original poster, but at anyone in general that seems to think it's OK to play with toys while driving down the road.

In the end, I'm really not concerned whether anyone LIKES the message or not. It's a valid message, needs to be said, and hopefully some newer drivers will actually read it and take it to heart. The life they save by doing so, might be your own.

golfhobo 05-03-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Three things, Hobo:

#1. I am not the safety director here, nor do I even work in safety. Even still, we have policies in place in our company regarding active gadgets (cams, laptops, etc.) within reach. Hell, we won't even take a cell phone call from one of our drivers that is driving. He must be stopped and pulled over.

#2. We do not take trainees here...never have and never will.

#3. I absolutely will not take a step back from advocating safety. I have a really big problem with drivers attempting stupid driver tricks and I will say so without apology. I don't want my family to be the next statistic because some idiot thought it was more important to adjust a dashcam than keep his eyes on the road. I'm not pointing that comment specifically at the original poster, but at anyone in general that seems to think it's OK to play with toys while driving down the road.

In the end, I'm really not concerned whether anyone LIKES the message or not. It's a valid message, needs to be said, and hopefully some newer drivers will actually read it and take it to heart. The life they save by doing so, might be your own.

Thanks for the reply, Twilight..... I think! :lol:

Seriously, my apologies if I offended you. First... I WAS under the impression you were in Safety. Don't know how I got that. But, I WAS also trying to voice my opinion on how trucking management viewed the situation, and NOT specifically at you. I gotta quit using that "collective" you.

I actually agree with pretty much all you say concerning safety and gadgets. "Stupid Driver Tricks" are a real pet peeve of MINE as well! And I think I conveyed that to Matcat.

My post was mostly about that article glorifying podcasting, and the lack of any negative comments about it. I only addressed it to YOU, because I thought you WERE in Safety and would have an opinion on it.

Anyway.... sorry for the misunderstanding.