Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Still around and looking (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/33324-still-around-looking.html)

BigDiesel 04-15-2008 05:22 PM

3 to 5 mph difference ?????? I call BULL :dung: !!!!

With that type of damage to the tractor, just think if a minivan was the receipient of your POOR decision making ability.....

matcat 04-15-2008 05:56 PM

Looks a lot worse then it is, remember I said hood/radiator damage. And look at the back of the other truck, no damage at all. You can see the impact point, the hood took the brunt right there along the left side of the grill, pushing it backward and up. It was only a few miles in speed difference, and I was only about 5000 lbs loaded, and the other trailer was empty.

matcat 04-15-2008 05:59 PM

If that was a metal hood it wouldn't look so bad, but it's all fiberglass and plastic, including that bumper down there that got clipped (It already was broken there anyway but not from me, the impact just finished it off)

Basically Fiberglass and Plastic VS steel what do you expect is going to give?

bentstrider 04-15-2008 10:52 PM

Once I see some fog like that from a distance, I just find a nice, quiet place to go to sleep for awhile.
Not trying to knock you, but fog is the one thing where I would definitely shut it down for a bit.
And I actually did drive the Columbia with Swift for 2 months, but the tranny gave out on it, then they switched me back to a Volvo.

matcat 04-15-2008 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bentstrider
Once I see some fog like that from a distance, I just find a nice, quiet place to go to sleep for awhile.
Not trying to knock you, but fog is the one thing where I would definitely shut it down for a bit.
And I actually did drive the Columbia with Swift for 2 months, but the tranny gave out on it, then they switched me back to a Volvo.

Unfortunately this fog patch was on top of a mountain with no exits between, and it just appeared out of no where, not to mention it was only about 2 miles thick! Yeah I had that columbia the entire time up until the accident, and after the accident was in a volvo for 3 weeks, man I missed the freightliner, volvo was OK but I didn't like it as much.

kc0iv 04-16-2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matcat
Quote:

Originally Posted by bentstrider

Unfortunately this fog patch was on top of a mountain with no exits between, and it just appeared out of no where, not to mention it was only about 2 miles thick! Yeah I had that columbia the entire time up until the accident, and after the accident was in a volvo for 3 weeks, man I missed the freightliner, volvo was OK but I didn't like it as much.

You was driving 50+ MPH in that kind of fog??? You got to me kidding!!

Maybe 20-25 MPH tops. Four-way flasher on to the next available pull over spot and then take a nap.

kc0iv

matcat 04-16-2008 01:12 AM

Like I said before, it was a small patch of fog, once I hit it I actually didn't even have my foot in the accelerator, I was slowing down from 65, right before the accident I was down to about 47ish.

Yeah that fog was crappy, and as I said next time I ever hit fog like that I will either pull off or go super slow :) Assuming I ever get in a CMV any time soon, I was offered a taxi cab job today... Not really what I want but its a job for now I guess.

Whammo 04-16-2008 01:20 AM

Quote:

Like I said before, it was a small patch of fog, once I hit it I actually didn't even have my foot in the accelerator, I was slowing down from 65, right before the accident I was down to about 47ish.

Yeah that fog was crappy, and as I said next time I ever hit fog like that I will either pull off or go super slow :) Assuming I ever get in a CMV any time soon, I was offered a taxi cab job today... Not really what I want but its a job for now I guess.

Posting those photos was about the last thing you should have done if you wanted this topic to die. :roll:

TomB985 04-16-2008 01:55 AM

Yeah, but they sure look cool!!! :P

Just kidding.....

matcat 04-16-2008 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whammo
Quote:

Posting those photos was about the last thing you should have done if you wanted this topic to die. :roll:

Yeah I thought about it when I posted, but I figured hell, all this talk about it I minus well let everyone see it! I'm sort of over the pissed off phase now.

Stuff happens, time for me to get over my pity pot and go on with life. My short stint with OTR is done with for the moment, but believe me I am keeping my eyes open for the opportunity to climb back in a truck, even if I have to take a different job for now (Although the longer I go without going in a truck the harder it's going to be, getting close to 30 days now).