Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Flatbed vs van driving (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/32532-flatbed-vs-van-driving.html)

techdogg 02-21-2008 08:34 PM

Flatbed vs van driving

Hello I drove a 53ft van during my training how much different is a flatbed and hauling steel?

line_transporter 02-21-2008 09:27 PM

There are a couple of changes. Firstly, you secure the cargo on the trailer yourself. Also.. as you're driving, you need to keep checking the load in your side mirrors to make sure it's staying there

Rokk 02-22-2008 03:14 AM

think about it, :) in a van your just a steering wheel holder, on a flat you work with the load, secure, tarp, etc. quite physical. can be dirty. but at the end of the day after a shower one does feel quite accomplished.

also no dealing with docks and lumpers, and when a flatbed pulls in to unoad, they are quite happy to see you. i would never roll a box again. different as night and day.

flat bedders do it better. plain, simple fact.

TruckerChris 02-22-2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokk
think about it, :) in a van your just a steering wheel holder, on a flat you work with the load, secure, tarp, etc. quite physical. can be dirty. but at the end of the day after a shower one does feel quite accomplished.

also no dealing with docks and lumpers, and when a flatbed pulls in to unoad, they are quite happy to see you. i would never roll a box again. different as night and day.

flat bedders do it better. plain, simple fact.

Hey man, us van drivers have to load lock every now and then... be nice :lol:

Sealord 02-22-2008 11:19 AM

Flatbed vs Van

"load lock every now and then" Whoopy ding! And then there's the time I used darn near every chain, load binder, and strap I had on a slinky load. BOL

Fredog 02-22-2008 01:05 PM

Re: Flatbed vs Van

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sealord
"load lock every now and then" Whoopy ding! And then there's the time I used darn near every chain, load binder, and strap I had on a slinky load. BOL

ONE TIME I HAD TO OPEN MY OWN HATCH!!

techdogg 02-22-2008 01:21 PM

Ultimate flatbed

Check out B&K trucking now those are loads skills

Orangetxguy 02-22-2008 02:13 PM

Re: Flatbed vs Van

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sealord

ONE TIME I HAD TO OPEN MY OWN HATCH!!

One time I had to learn to deal with surge!!! :shock: :shock: 8)

TK THE TRUCKER 02-22-2008 02:31 PM

Yeah well, every load I pick up I have to turn the reefer on and set the temp ! AND put load locks in !! You guys have it so easy !!!! 8) 8)

matcat 02-22-2008 05:39 PM

Hey I need to slide my tandems from time to time, can be quite phsyical! Oftem I have to open and close the doors (A real pain in the rear... no pun intended), and sometimes I even have to sweap it out!!! OMG Flatbed is a piece of cake compared...