Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Best way to stay in shape OTR? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/30567-best-way-stay-shape-otr.html)

dtryanxpress 11-05-2007 10:15 AM

Best way to stay in shape OTR?

So what do you do to stay in "shape" in the trucking biz?
Push ups in the sleeper cab? Eatting healthy? Do truckstops have a workout room?

DaveP 11-05-2007 10:32 AM

Re: Best way to stay in shape OTR?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtryanxpress
Push ups in the sleeper cab? Eatting healthy? Do truckstops have a workout room?

Flatbed.

Skywalker 11-05-2007 11:05 AM

1. I don't eat in truck stops.

2. I don't try to park closest to the building. Walking won't kill you.

3. I climb up and down off a tanker every day, and do other things.

4. I quit smoking.

5. I carry my food on the truck, that way I control what I eat.

inmate1577 11-05-2007 12:28 PM

Drink lots of water.
You can eat healthy even at a truckstop by sticking to salads without all the bacon bits and ranch dressings. Eating a grilled, not fried chicken breast with veggies, etc.

Its a matter of moderation.

steelhauler2007 11-05-2007 12:43 PM

Flatbed is the best way to stay in shape.Plenty of sunshine and a good healthy workout several times a week.

Double R 11-05-2007 01:02 PM

Re: Best way to stay in shape OTR?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtryanxpress

Work for a foodservice company. You get lots of exercise.

coastie 11-06-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker
1. I don't eat in truck stops.

2. I don't try to park closest to the building. Walking won't kill you.

I agree 100% with your #2. I try to park away and walk as much as I can.

But I eat a better and much healthier meal at the truck stops than I do at home. I'm not much of a cooker. The hamburgers and fast food yes avoid. But the restaurant meals are much better than trying to survive on sandwiches all the time out of the cooler. Now you can over eat in the Restaurants.. Just do not pig out....

heavyhaulerss 11-06-2007 07:29 PM

when i leave out my large cooler consist of all raw : carrots, brocolli, spinach, apples, oranges, green beans, lettuce, cauliflour, green peppers, tomatoes, cabbage, grapes, yogurt & 2 gallons of water. the last time i drank any sodas was several years ago. in the event i eat at a truckstop, when done i will walk the truckstop parking lot several times 30 -45 min to try & diegest the food. this time of year produce is easy to keep cool. i keep some in myside pocket when i heat inside of truck or put on my flat deck while not moving. eating meat & potatos only twice a week & keeping to my habits have kept me 190lbs & i can out run all my kids including my 18 year old who is 130 lbs. & after 20 years of marriage i can still fit in my wedding outfit.

Sealord 11-06-2007 09:21 PM

Best Way to Stay in Shape

Don't eat more calories of food than you expend in work. BOL

VitoCorleone99 11-07-2007 12:05 AM

Re: Best Way to Stay in Shape

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sealord
Don't eat more calories of food than you expend in work. BOL

It's surprising that people don't often seem to realize, it really is that simple. They figured this out in the 1800's and, regardless of whatever new advances come out, (calories consumed) - (calories burned) is the only equation that makes a difference as far as weight is concerned. Overall health depends on other factors of course, but just reading the labels on your food will do wonders.

As for workout rooms in the truck stops, I haven't seen them. I use Powerblocks and a folding bench for weight training, and generally walk or jog for cardio. I'm leaning toward picking up a jumprope the next time I'm home, as that seems like it would be more convenient than jogging.