Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   The Driver and The Employer, Basic Job Hunting Skills (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/26892-driver-employer-basic-job-hunting-skills.html)

Roadhog 05-14-2007 12:11 AM

The Driver and The Employer, Basic Job Hunting Skills

The Industry
---------------

A recent thread about how many job applicants are turning up dirty drug tests, and the general lack of restraint is causing our industry to suffer in the public eye and especially with the governing authorities. Some Trucker's see an unlimited supply of jobs, and thus have become unconcerned with their behavior...both on and off the highway. Yes...there is a great demand for Driver's...but it is time to realize the "demand" is for "good driver's." Even if you are a new recruit, your past work history will tell a perspective employer much about you, although a Driver with 2 years experience with a solid resume will be able to pick and choose the best job out there.

Just because jobs are so plentiful, it is no excuse to get sloppy, show no respect, and job hop. Job hopping in itself is a huge mistake, if you care about advancing to a better opportunity, and make Trucking a career for yourself. There are numerous problems and a huge waste of money on both party's involved. We can discuss all the problems as this thread evolves...if need be.
But for now, I want to point out the basics of this relationship between Driver and Employers.

Many employer's are fed up with the limited supply of "good driver's." The larger companies are not in as good a position to turn anyone away...short of the felon's and ones who can not even pass a drug test. But...what they can afford to offer their Driver's reflects this. You have to drive for them for maybe 3 years, before you can begin to make what you'd like, or have the route's you'd like, etc. The large companies have the greatest turn-over. More over, the Driver they hire is likely going to turn in a dirty test, job hop, or perform so poorly, numerous complications can come out of his lack of concern.
The smaller companies are going to be more selective. No.1 reason is...for them, one bad driver can ruin their business. They would rather leave a truck sit, than just put meat in the seat. These companies are your Mom & Pop outfits, and treat their Driver's much like family. They too may start you out at standard pay...but you can advance much faster, if you are able to prove yourself as a good driver. Again, there are many things that evaluate you as a good driver. I won't go into that, now.

Truck Driver
-----------------

This is not just a job. This is a demanding lifestyle. Many new Driver's are not fully prepared for what this all amounts to. We can describe it to you, but until you begin driving for yourself...only then will you know, if you have what it takes. We can tell you it is not for everyone. But many of you want that big paycheck so bad...that is all you see or care about. If you think for a moment, employer's are not fully aware of this...think again. The new applicant that focuses on how much will he get paid....guarantee's it will be minimal starting pay. You are the most likely candidate to job hop, or constantly complain he is not getting what he was promised.

You are going to need a year of driving, to just adapt to the lifestyle. Also, to develop your driving skills, and work relationship with your dispatcher, and learning how your company does business. None of this comes quickly, and your attitude is being closely watched. Remember...you are responsible for much of the business success or failure. Tremendous amount of money goes into that rig, freight, and contract with the client....and you are the backbone of it all.

As a career minded driver, you will need to evaluate yourself first.
Do you study about your job to increase your knowledge and understanding? Just getting the license is only a baby step.
Do you enjoy what you are doing. If not...consider what will make you happy, and seek a job in that direction. It's okay...this work is not for everyone. You can not have regrets at least for trying. You owe it to yourself to enjoy your work, as it is a major part of your life.
Don't take this lightly. So many Trucker's that are unhappy, and just want that paycheck...show it in all the worst ways, and I can promise you this...that will one day cause you deep regrets. Think about what I just said....for your sake and ours.

Do you enjoy challenges...or does this only stress you out of control? Can you handle these challenges by yourself?...even taking pride in your ability to do so?
Can you function well with odd sleep hours?
Are you okay with being out for days, even weeks from home?

Do you have the desire and ability to get along with strangers? People skills are hugely important. There are lots of game-players at loading docks for example...who look to wreck your day. I always respond courteous and polite....even when I want to strangle someone. Often times I'll interject my nutty humor...and next thing you know...this character and I are yukking it up together, and I'm being treated like a friend. Don't get me wrong....one big thing you will find out right away, is Trucker's get lots of disrespect. You need to have a thick skin. Some of the disrespect is from previous Trucker's behavior...and not a result of anything you said or did. I think you will know if and when a line is crossed. Square off if you have to, but in my experience, 90% of it I can defuse or simply ignore. The other 10%....it will suck to be them! :lol: hehehe

Anyway on that note...have a strong sense of humor.
Do you have any medical limitations, or require certain medicines. Chances are, there is a truck for you, but be honest in what you can and can not, or should not do.

Truck Company
---------------------

Company size. As mentioned...the smaller company is like a family operation. You will know each other like family....so....are you comfortable with that? Some people enjoy the close relationship, and easily develop friendships with other co-workers. My Boss and I grew up together and are best friends. We bow hunt Whitetail deer together, and swap lies and laughter all the time. We are all business for business sake, but our work relationship benefits greatly by our friendship. Hell...I would have quit this company maybe a couple times, if it were not for my friendship, and sense of loyalty. It helped pull me through some difficult times, I may otherwise have not fared so well. So, for me...I really enjoy the closer work relationship. As I also said earlier...I believe your advancement can come easier, and quicker, as you are on a more personal level.

Huge Carriers offer anonymity, bountiful resources, benefits, facilities, more job choices, security, and top pay...if you prove to be a "good driver." The relationships may be more distant, but a smart driver will spend effort in developing a net work for himself.
Watch some of these bigger companies though...as some give confusing pay figures, and can promise things only the more experienced driver will recognize as BS. You really have to do your homework with them. Know what they pay for, and what they don't pay for. Know what they pay for deadhead miles. Talk with other company drivers, and see what average miles they get, how long they sit between loads, and how promises are kept. Most big companies are upfront, as it does not benefit them to BS a recruit. But...make certain there is a meeting of the minds. Ask a lot of questions.

Basic Job Hunting Tips
-------------------------------

First off, most initial interviews are over the phone after a mailed in, dropped off, or online application.
Be READY for that call. Have your notes ready, but don't be rehearsed...speak naturally, and earnestly.
If it's a bad time...you are angry or upset, or driving, ask nicely to call them back when you have a better time to talk.
DO NOT vent about your current or previous job. KISS...(keep it simple stupid) a brief reason why things didn't work out is enough.

Understand this....the interview is not going to start out by what they can do for you. If it does....be careful my friend.
It should start out by them asking what you are looking for. This employer or recruiter is going to look for a driver who asks good questions and lots of them.
If you start out by what are you going to make....the good recruiter is already sizing you up with a jaundice eye, but will hold off seeing how you play out. You may be a good driver just with poor interview skills. Have a list of what you want and what you need to know. Yes of course your pay is important. I'm just saying, don't focus on that right away. You need to know in detail what your take-home pay will be, as well as home time, benefits, method of payments, etc.

First, show some interest in the Industry, and a little about your knowledge of it. Talk about your experience...and use some stories. 9 times out of 10...that interviewer drove truck for many years too! Above all...be courteous, friendly, and respectful. Don't use any foul language :lol:...hehehe...I know ....that's friggin' tough. hehehe :lol:
Good time if you have a good sense of humor, is use a little when appropriate. This shows your character, and what they can expect from you with clients, and fellow workers. As a Trucker...your phone skills are hugely important.

Again, don't rag about your past employer, or rotten work experiences. None of this will benefit you, and if anything will mark against you. Those are things in the past you should have already dealt with. Show your positive side...but then again...do not be desperate.
Be gainfully employed!!!!!
Your BEST transition, is coming from another employer. You are highly desired, and far more valuable in this regard. TRUST ME on this. If you are unemployed, they know you will accept anything, and do anything.
The best jobs are given to applicants who are currently employed. They will hire them first, and anything that is left, will be passed out from there.

Be honest. Tell exactly what is on your record. Chances are, it is not all that bad as it seems. Know this...they will find out anyway...so be forthright.
Be smart though. It has been the topic of discussion here before. You do not have to spill your guts. Offer only the information that is asked or required. That is it.
But...with that info, be accurate. Don't waste their time or yours, or worse, be hired and fired for falsifying an application.

Be professional. This is a professional position, and it is up to us to separate ourselves from the seat meat. They will always be around. But we can work above that, and continue to set the right example. Good Luck ...drive safe.
-----------------------

I hope others will weigh in.
I just wanted to put my thoughts out there, but this is far from complete.
There is so much to add to this topic, and it does seem to be an ongoing need.

05-14-2007 12:15 AM

wow

MADLUX 05-14-2007 12:24 AM

good info! 8)

silvan 05-14-2007 01:52 AM

Re: The Driver and The Employer, Basic Job Hunting Skills

Good post, man!

I've been doing this crap for 10 years, and I'm still not sure whether I'm really cut out for it, or if I'm just doing it for the money.

I guess some of both, huh?

Ridge Runner 05-14-2007 02:42 AM

Alright, who are you and what have you done with roadhog ? :lol:

That was a GREAT post. I didn't know you had it in you :wink:

GTR SILVER 05-14-2007 02:57 AM

re; trucking

very insightful!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

and as the saying goes........."it's much easier to get a job when you have one" 8) ............and if you dont'.............. act like you have one anyway!!!!!..........i'll use the "5"letter word .......RELAX!!! :wink:

hitman 05-14-2007 03:01 AM

Exellent post roadhog. You offer some real good advice.

fireman932003 05-14-2007 04:11 AM

I would like to see how some the local recruiters chime in on this! I happen to think that this was very good information!

Jackrabbit379 05-14-2007 03:41 PM

Very instructive, roadhog. 8)

This should be a sticky for the tenderfoots who are interested in trucking.

Mack2 05-14-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379

10-4 on that.

Useless 05-14-2007 05:08 PM

EXCELLENT POST, RoadHog!! :rock:
I have some thoughts of my own to add; I'll get back with them later.

Sheepdancer 05-14-2007 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireman932003
I would like to see how some the local recruiters chime in on this! I happen to think that this was very good information!

I guess that means me......I would say its good info.

Quote:

Huge Carriers offer anonymity, bountiful resources, benefits, facilities, more job choices, security, and top pay...if you prove to be a "good driver." The relationships may be more distant, but a smart driver will spend effort in developing a net work for himself.
Not always true. We are a huge company and there are 100s of drivers that are known very well by people in corporate. There are drivers who have personal relationships with the CO. The key here is to stand out. To be that top driver who stands out in a sea of 11000.

Quote:

DO NOT vent about your current or previous job. KISS...(keep it simple stupid) a brief reason why things didn't work out is enough.

Personally, I think its ok for the driver to tell me whats wrong with their job. As long as they keep it on a professional level.

Quote:

If you start out by what are you going to make....the good recruiter is already sizing you up with a jaundice eye, but will hold off seeing how you play out.
I agree with this. However, its still going to happen. Most of the time drivers only think about pay per mile. I might have a dedicated job that pays 47cpm....and I might have one that pays 33cpm. In Reality the 33cpm job might pay more per year and be way easier. However as a recruiter, the 47cpm job will be REALLY EASY to fill. What he is saying is true. If A driver right off the bat says I need 40 plus cpm. Im going straight to the job that pays the most per mile. Which might not be the best job I have availiable. Ive said this in another post. Im happy to answer every question a driver asks me. However, if a driver only asks one and that is all it takes, Im going to schedule the driver and move on to the next one. Time is money.
I dont have jaundice in my eyes. :shock:

Quote:

If you are unemployed, they know you will accept anything, and do anything.
The best jobs are given to applicants who are currently employed. They will hire them first, and anything that is left, will be passed out from there.

My favorite words to hear and I hear them a lot is when I ask what kind of job are you looking for and the driver answers "Anything, I just need a job" Happens every week.

BanditsCousin 05-15-2007 02:08 AM

The truth is, carriers need us more than we need them no matter what they say.

devildice 05-15-2007 03:38 AM

Excellent post!!!! As someone mentioned, it should be a "sticky".

What I find ironic about your post is that I, as a soon to be "newbe' have approched the whole career change I am about to make very much the way you posted it. The end result is that I feel I am much more prepared for what to expect and not to expect from the industry and a potential employer.

BanditsCousin 05-15-2007 03:41 AM

You can still ride a long with me if ya want. As long as you don't demand the 120v plug for the cooler :)

devildice 05-15-2007 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BanditsCousin
You can still ride a long with me if ya want. As long as you don't demand the 120v plug for the cooler :)

I would take you up on it, but in 10 days I leave this place and head back down to my nice warm climate. 8) And if I never come back up here it will be to soon :D ......oh, and btw, I HAD forgoten about that plug until NOW! :wink:

BanditsCousin 05-15-2007 03:48 AM

Its 100 degrees where I'm at (sacramento, ca). i haven't sen Chicago in MONTHS except for a 24 hr drive by lol

devildice 05-15-2007 03:50 AM

well it was actually decent today....86 degrees and tomorrow supposed to be down to 60 and raining :sad:

sorry for the hijack.......back to the regually schedule programing :)

stanman63 05-15-2007 11:00 AM

the only thing i dont like about your post is the felon remark i wish that people would relize that us felons do change and get our lifes back on track not all do but some of us do make changes in our life for the good i just wish the corp. world would look at a felon like they do there ceo type felons who get there six figure jops back after they do there time and my felony is seventeen years old and it still haunts me so you young guys need to think about what u do in your life and dont get a life long sentence

Ridge Runner 05-15-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379

I agree and a "sticky" it shall be.

Ridge

devildice 05-15-2007 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I agree and a "sticky" it shall

Cool.....now is there a way it can be made mandatory reading for all wanabee's.... :wink:

Roadhog 05-15-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanman63
the only thing i dont like about your post is the felon remark i wish that people would relize that us felons do change and get our lifes back on track not all do but some of us do make changes in our life for the good i just wish the corp. world would look at a felon like they do there ceo type felons who get there six figure jops back after they do there time and my felony is seventeen years old and it still haunts me so you young guys need to think about what u do in your life and dont get a life long sentence

Good point to emphasize Stanman. I don't like this part of reality either...and I assure you the Recruiters don't as well. They loose a lot of "good driver's" simply because of the Companies policy on hiring felons.

Some of the Truck Companies have a zero tolerance. Others have various limitations, ie. no conviction in the "X" amount of years. Some also limit on the basis of the nature of the conviction.

Many felons have simply made a uncommon mistake in their life, or a youthful indiscretion which as you pointed out is a consequence in which they must live with for the rest of their life.

There are many Companies out there which will hire you, and take more time to view on a case by case basis. A felon is just going to have to try harder and stay positive about his status, and will prevail, I assure you.

It is important to state the facts no matter how "unfair" it may seem to some. I wonder how much of this policy is a result of pressure from Insurance Companies? As you know...in a Court of Law, no matter how honest a person you are, if you are a convicted felon, you have in the eyes of the Law...absolutely no credibility.

I won't belabor this issue. There are many arguments on this subject, and we have lengthy posts in this regard. The "felon remark" you will notice is a simple state of fact. It is not meant to disrespect anyone. There are other applicants weeded out in the hiring process, as well.

There is an old saying..."if you can't do the time...then don't do the crime." I think many people just don't stop to realize committing a felony has lifelong consequences. It can be regretful. We all have regrets in life.

New recruits especially need to realize what the process is going to be like for them. We want to provide the best advice and council possible. That is our goal here at CAD. We are working professionals who are presenting viewpoints from both sides of the Industry. The majority of us are Driver's, and come from all walks of life.

wot i life 05-15-2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadhog
I wonder how much of this policy is a result of pressure from Insurance Companies?

An excellent point raised there Bro. A lot of insurers will only offer policies for ex offenders if the company agrees to a massive excess in the policy(At least that is the case over here). Its just not economically viable to employ ex offenders for a lot of haulage outfits

Sheepdancer 05-15-2007 03:32 PM

Quote:

Good point to emphasize Stanman. I don't like this part of reality either...and I assure you the Recruiters don't as well.
Its not the recruiters rule. We dont make company policy, we just have to go by it.
As much as I would like to hire more people, I do understand why these policies are in place.
You have a 17 year old felony and its absolutely great that you say you have changed your life around. However the simple fact is that most felons dont change. Most are repeat offenders. I dont see these policies in the trucking insustry changing any time soon. In fact I would predict that in the futue they will become more strict. We live in an information age. All people are aquiring a huge electronic paper trail and its getting easier and easier for employers to do background checks. And in thetime we live in its become a society where people sue for anything. I said this before, the reason companies shy away from hiring felons is because of LIABILITY. A person with an electronic paper trail of everything they have done wrong in their life becomes a liability to successful companies. And companies have to protect their assets at all costs. The best thing we can do about this is drill into our kids that the stupid choices you make can come back and haunt you for the rest of your life. Sad as it might seem, rewarding someone who has a criminal record with a good job, teaches our kids that there are no serious consiquinces for their actions. Rewarding someone with no criminal record with the good jobs, teaches our children that smart choices get the rewards.

Jackrabbit379 05-15-2007 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
I agree and a "sticky" it shall be.

Ridge

Thank ya thur. :P

Roadhog 05-15-2007 07:52 PM

Yes...Thank you :D

...and where are my manners? http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l236/Leland10/38.gif

...when I'm OTR...I tend to get a little preoccupied.
Thank you!! everyone for your kind words. :)

regards...Roadhog http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l236/Leland10/56.gif

Roadhog 05-16-2007 06:11 AM

Driver/Employer Communication
--------------------------------------

Companies are struggling to survive right now. Many factors are in play, coming not from the Industry itself so much, but by the availability of good paying jobs in other Trades in fierce competition for the same workers. Add to that increased security and regulatory guidelines, the aging workforce (as much as 20% veteran driver's are quitting or retiring) on top of the lifestyle issues that have always influenced driver turnover rates. Annual turnover rates for some companies is now about 130%.

Companies desperately need to implement driver retention plans.
As one poster mentioned...."Companies need us, more than we need them."
The culture of the Industry must be changed. Companies must create a work environment where driver's will want to stay. What would be the single most important factor in this equation? Good communication between the company and its drivers.

And here is the problem.
The No.1 complaint of drivers is that they've been lied to.
No.2 They do not feel respected for their skills as professionals, and they feel companies are only interested in the freight and the customer.

No.1 complaint of companies is they feel that their drivers complain too much, and are never satisfied...dispite all that they feel they are providing.

Companies are going to have to put aside the competitive nature of the business. They are going to have to address the "job hopping" problem as a problem they have created. It's my opinion they are victims of their own doing.
Many companies still have a revolving door mentality when it comes to recruiting. Drivers can be replaced every 90 days.
Understand this.
Companies will agree on the negative aspects of job-hopping, yet most aggressively encourage turnover by the predatory element of recruiting. Until companies become concerned with retaining drivers, with the same passion they place in recruiting drivers...the problem will not go away.

The tendency to repeatedly seek greener pastures is precisely what fuels the churning cycle. It's not easy for drivers to resist the temptation to change jobs frequently when companies are enticing them with sign-on bonuses, pay premiums, immediate benefits and other fluff. Many drivers seem to ignore the financial hit that job-hopping causes. Each job change can cost you $4000 to $6000 in lost pay, and benefits.

Now we have recruiters here, and I know they are the kind of recruiters this Industry needs more of. We have learned a lot about them through communication. That is the key to better relations all around. I see them as the kind of recruiter that actively listens to drivers both on this board, and especially with the individuals they are placing. It's their goal and should be the goal of every recruiter to match them with the "right" job rather than "any" job and putting the drivers needs first.

The company has to improve Operations. After recruitment, after orientation, the company must help set the stage for successful careers. One way to do this is....what? communication. The newly hired driver needs to be put at ease. So many things can frustrate the new driver. Communication during this phase usually is ambiguous. Managers must keep communication open and ensure drivers feel free to discuss issues with them instead of relying on other drivers as their sole support.

How many times has your office been so busy they want to get you off the phone as quickly as possible? How many times has your office simply not care to hear your problems...and expect you to just deal with it?

Your company want to evaluate you? Hey how about that going both ways? Good feedback can strengthen the relationship, and be a positive reinforcement of each others performance. It should in my opinion be a team effort. Workers in other Industries have career paths, so why should a driver not be given this option also. Granted some companies are doing this with jobs considering more home time, or offering regional, dedicated or local positions, and various other "senior driver" transitions. This practice should be SOP throughout the Industry.

Some drivers leave their job due to shady recruiting tactics. But in most cases, it is simply miscommunication that causes the driver to feel misled. Initial perception can be faulty. How many times have we seen posts get misread, and even after posting and pasting, the comprehention and intreptation can still remain an issue. Communication is therefore not the answer to all problems. But it is a great step forward in most cases. It must be initiated before any changes will ever occur, and this Industry has been suffering enough for too long. The company can not continue to overlook the role the driver plays. Drivers can not continue to point the blame at recruiters and feel herded off like only a number branded for the company and sensing pending slaughter.

Recruiters have to fill multiple positions. They must sort through various details of each job, pay rates, time-off schedules and operational practices. Given the number of drivers a recruiter speaks with on any given day, honest mistakes are bound to happen. Drivers who talk to several different companies while job hunting can also confuse the facts.
So. it is in your best interest to avoid such occurrences, and get all your job information in writing.
Then should a problem arise, talk with your Boss. Most will be willing to address your issues, rather than loose you. If they are going to loose you, they should be given the reasons why. Maybe they will change their policies, or look closer at driver retention. This is a serious problem which is not going to go away, until we all learn to communicate better.

My biggest complaint with the company I work for is this vary issue. So far I am just talking to a wall. http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...0/banghead.gif

Ridge Runner 05-16-2007 08:04 AM

Once again Roadhog you have out-done yourself. Not only did you ID the problem but you also offered a way to fix it. I'm with you, it is the "service after the sale" that needs to be addressed. Maybe Sheepdancer can help us here. I wonder what the average length of stay is for a new hire.( Not the ones that are fired that is ). When I was at orentation at USX there was a couple ( husband and wife ) that drove team, that I became friends with. We exchanged #s as did they with the other 5 husband/wife teams there. After only 6 weeks when I talked to my friends they were the only husband/wife team left of the six and they were fixing to leave too. That was the MAIN thing that I was worried about becoming a company driver. These were not "rookies" either. He had over 20 years and her 15 years and they teamed for over ten years together. The other couples also were not rookies either. So what gives?

wot i life 05-16-2007 09:33 AM

Post subject:

Top 10 Questions to Ask a Potential Trucking Employer

Your Benefits' Worth
What to Ask After the Offer

Great news: You've got what seems like a solid offer to drive for a reputable trucking company. But before you hop in the cab, you'll want to know certain details about the firm's policies to determine whether the job measures up to your expectations. To get the answers you're looking for, ask a potential employer these 10 key questions:

What Is Your Home-Time Policy?

Long-haul drivers put in long hours on the road, says Kelly Anderson, president of Impact Transportation Solutions. But if a company promises you one day off a week, clarify how it defines a day.

Anderson offers this possible scenario: "Here I am this morning arriving back to the terminal, unloading truck, going home. If I have three days off coming, then today is one of them -- I've wasted half a day (out of my three days off). A time-off policy means three complete days off."

What Are Your Major Lanes?

Find out what typical routes, distances and regions your prospective employer wants you to travel. Trucking career consultant Craig Robins says a driver who lives in a remote area may be better off choosing an employer with a nearby terminal location for truck fueling and maintenance rather than going with a higher-paying company that doesn't have any terminals near home.

What Type of Equipment Will I Have?

Particularly for long-haul work, "you want to be comfortable," Anderson says. Ask if the company will assign you equipment and what that will include. Will you get an air-ride suspension? A sleeper on the truck? What size? Since you will be spending most of your time with this equipment, make sure you can live with it.

Do You Provide Layover Pay?

Layover is the wait or delay a trucker experiences between scheduled loads. In general, a driver should expect to receive layover pay for wait times beyond his control.

Do You Slip-Seat?

When a driver takes time off, he may have to cede, or "slip-seat," his assigned truckload (and truck) to another driver, Robins says. If you don't want to share your truck, look for an employer with a no slip-seat policy.

How Much Do You Pay?

Check out Monster's Salary Center for current driver pay scales. Demand is strong, so don't let a firm shortchange you. Anderson recommends evaluating the pay offered in terms of cents per mile.

But do so with caution, says Mitch Bookbinder, recruiter for national firm L.J. Kennedy Trucking. For instance, getting paid 50 cents a mile might sound great -- unless you'll be driving and living in an expensive, congested region like New York City.

What Are the Benefits?

Benefits are closely linked to pay, so don't consider one without the other.
"If you are looking at employers, find out how many miles per month, cents per mile and what are (your) costs for benefits and road expenses," Anderson advises. Some companies offer full medical, dental, vision and short-term disability coverage. The less the coverage, the more cents per mile you'll want.

Do You Pay for Lumpers?

Lumpers are for-hire loaders at a warehouse. A carrier may pay you to load or unload the freight for your truck or let you pay a lumper to do it. Find out if your potential employer will pay or compensate for the lumper.

Do You Offer Bonuses?

Some companies offer bonuses for a good driving record and performance, so it pays to ask. Robins also recommends asking if the company offers sign-on bonuses.

Will I Get a Dedicated Driver Manager?

A driver manager is particularly important if you're just starting out as a driver. Having a direct manager to work with can foster a good company relationship, enhance your promotion chances and help you resolve concerns and issues quickly.

I got this off of monster.com

I would also ask a company about tolls and scales. Who pays for them? Do they allow riders and if so whats the policy (including pets). POwer inverters allowed. Ibamars :wink:

devildice 05-16-2007 12:52 PM

Ok, so what happened to the real roadhog? :? Was he abducted by aliens? :lol:

Roadhog 05-16-2007 01:35 PM

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...nd10/smile.gif

devildice 05-16-2007 01:45 PM

ahhhhhhhhh.....now there is the old roadhog we all love :D

BigWheels 05-23-2007 01:25 AM

Quote:

Truck Driver
-----------------

This is not just a job. This is a demanding lifestyle. Many new Driver's are not fully prepared for what this all amounts to. We can describe it to you, but until you begin driving for yourself...only then will you know, if you have what it takes. We can tell you it is not for everyone. But many of you want that big paycheck so bad...that is all you see or care about. If you think for a moment, employer's are not fully aware of this...think again. The new applicant that focuses on how much will he get paid....guarantee's it will be minimal starting pay. You are the most likely candidate to job hop, or constantly complain he is not getting what he was promised.

You are going to need a year of driving, to just adapt to the lifestyle. Also, to develop your driving skills, and work relationship with your dispatcher, and learning how your company does business. None of this comes quickly, and your attitude is being closely watched. Remember...you are responsible for much of the business success or failure. Tremendous amount of money goes into that rig, freight, and contract with the client....and you are the backbone of it all.

Do you study about your job to increase your knowledge and understanding? Just getting the license is only a baby step.
Do you enjoy what you are doing. If not...consider what will make you happy, and seek a job in that direction. It's okay...this work is not for everyone. You can not have regrets at least for trying. You owe it to yourself to enjoy your work, as it is a major part of your life.
Don't take this lightly. So many Trucker's that are unhappy, and just want that paycheck...show it in all the worst ways, and I can promise you this...that will one day cause you deep regrets. Think about what I just said....for your sake and ours.

Do you enjoy challenges...or does this only stress you out of control? Can you handle these challenges by yourself?...even taking pride in your ability to do so?

Do you have the desire and ability to get along with strangers? People skills are hugely important. There are lots of game-players at loading docks for example...who look to wreck your day. I always respond courteous and polite....even when I want to strangle someone. Often times I'll interject my nutty humor...and next thing you know...this character and I are yukking it up together, and I'm being treated like a friend. Don't get me wrong....one big thing you will find out right away, is Trucker's get lots of disrespect. You need to have a thick skin. Some of the disrespect is from previous Trucker's behavior...and not a result of anything you said or did. I think you will know if and when a line is crossed. Square off if you have to, but in my experience, 90% of it I can defuse or simply ignore. The other 10%....it will suck to be them! :lol: hehehe

Do you have any medical limitations, or require certain medicines. Chances are, there is a truck for you, but be honest in what you can and can not, or should not do.

Very good stuff! :D

The Truck Driver section (above) is worth it's weight in gold. 8)

And...um...no I don't have any gold to give you. Sorry! Wish I could but I can't. If I do come across an overturned brinks truck...no that won't do. Um...well I can only hope that someone bestows upon you a plentiful supply.

sheba 06-08-2007 11:01 AM

roadhog may I make a copy of this to take to my cdl school

Roadhog 06-10-2007 04:30 PM

:lol: ...just put a quarter in the slot...for 2 copies. :P

I should get busy and add some more to this...
I tend to get preoccupied with goofing around. :? 8)

Thanks! :wink:

sheba 06-11-2007 12:17 AM

ok I put the quarters in, thx :D

Mntcat7 07-08-2007 01:31 AM

Wow He is spot on.Nice and Right on Roadhog!

cdreid 07-08-2007 04:17 AM

Nice

Best post ive ever seen for "considering becoming a driver" folks.

Though id disagree on the jobs a bit except for Local jobs (otr companies for the most part will kidnap you to get you in a truck).

turox 08-09-2007 11:33 PM

Thanks

First time poster here and just had to say Awesome Job Roadhog. I will keep this post in mind while I sift through all the info out there to see what needs to be done and what not to do.

Thanks again! :D

double back 09-23-2007 02:47 AM

Re: The Driver and The Employer, Basic Job Hunting Skills

Quote:

The Industry
---------------

A recent thread about how many job applicants are turning up dirty drug tests, and the general lack of restraint is causing our industry to suffer in the public eye and especially with the governing authorities. Some Trucker's see an unlimited supply of jobs, and thus have become unconcerned with their behavior...both on and off the highway. Yes...there is a great demand for Driver's...but it is time to realize the "demand" is for "good driver's." Even if you are a new recruit, your past work history will tell a perspective employer much about you, although a Driver with 2 years experience with a solid resume will be able to pick and choose the best job out there.

Just because jobs are so plentiful, it is no excuse to get sloppy, show no respect, and job hop. Job hopping in itself is a huge mistake, if you care about advancing to a better opportunity, and make Trucking a career for yourself. There are numerous problems and a huge waste of money on both party's involved. We can discuss all the problems as this thread evolves...if need be.
But for now, I want to point out the basics of this relationship between Driver and Employers.

Many employer's are fed up with the limited supply of "good driver's." The larger companies are not in as good a position to turn anyone away...short of the felon's and ones who can not even pass a drug test. But...what they can afford to offer their Driver's reflects this. You have to drive for them for maybe 3 years, before you can begin to make what you'd like, or have the route's you'd like, etc. The large companies have the greatest turn-over. More over, the Driver they hire is likely going to turn in a dirty test, job hop, or perform so poorly, numerous complications can come out of his lack of concern.
The smaller companies are going to be more selective. No.1 reason is...for them, one bad driver can ruin their business. They would rather leave a truck sit, than just put meat in the seat. These companies are your Mom & Pop outfits, and treat their Driver's much like family. They too may start you out at standard pay...but you can advance much faster, if you are able to prove yourself as a good driver. Again, there are many things that evaluate you as a good driver. I won't go into that, now.

Truck Driver
-----------------

Truck Company
---------------------

Company size. As mentioned...the smaller company is like a family operation. You will know each other like family....so....are you comfortable with that? Some people enjoy the close relationship, and easily develop friendships with other co-workers. My Boss and I grew up together and are best friends. We bow hunt Whitetail deer together, and swap lies and laughter all the time. We are all business for business sake, but our work relationship benefits greatly by our friendship. Hell...I would have quit this company maybe a couple times, if it were not for my friendship, and sense of loyalty. It helped pull me through some difficult times, I may otherwise have not fared so well. So, for me...I really enjoy the closer work relationship. As I also said earlier...I believe your advancement can come easier, and quicker, as you are on a more personal level.

Watch some of these bigger companies though...as some give confusing pay figures, and can promise things only the more experienced driver will recognize as BS. You really have to do your homework with them. Know what they pay for, and what they don't pay for. Know what they pay for deadhead miles. Talk with other company drivers, and see what average miles they get, how long they sit between loads, and how promises are kept. Most big companies are upfront, as it does not benefit them to BS a recruit. But...make certain there is a meeting of the minds. Ask a lot of questions.

Basic Job Hunting Tips
-------------------------------

First off, most initial interviews are over the phone after a mailed in, dropped off, or online application.
Be READY for that call. Have your notes ready, but don't be rehearsed...speak naturally, and earnestly.
If it's a bad time...you are angry or upset, or driving, ask nicely to call them back when you have a better time to talk.

Understand this....the interview is not going to start out by what they can do for you. If it does....be careful my friend.
It should start out by them asking what you are looking for. This employer or recruiter is going to look for a driver who asks good questions and lots of them.
If you start out by what are you going to make....the good recruiter is already sizing you up with a jaundice eye, but will hold off seeing how you play out. You may be a good driver just with poor interview skills. Have a list of what you want and what you need to know. Yes of course your pay is important. I'm just saying, don't focus on that right away. You need to know in detail what your take-home pay will be, as well as home time, benefits, method of payments, etc.

First, show some interest in the Industry, and a little about your knowledge of it. Talk about your experience...and use some stories. 9 times out of 10...that interviewer drove truck for many years too! Above all...be courteous, friendly, and respectful. Don't use any foul language :lol:...hehehe...I know ....that's friggin' tough. hehehe :lol:
Good time if you have a good sense of humor, is use a little when appropriate. This shows your character, and what they can expect from you with clients, and fellow workers. As a Trucker...your phone skills are hugely important.

Again, don't rag about your past employer, or rotten work experiences. None of this will benefit you, and if anything will mark against you. Those are things in the past you should have already dealt with. Show your positive side...but then again...do not be desperate.
Be gainfully employed!!!!!
Your BEST transition, is coming from another employer. You are highly desired, and far more valuable in this regard. TRUST ME on this. If you are unemployed, they know you will accept anything, and do anything.

Be honest. Tell exactly what is on your record. Chances are, it is not all that bad as it seems. Know this...they will find out anyway...so be forthright.
Be smart though. It has been the topic of discussion here before. You do not have to spill your guts. Offer only the information that is asked or required. That is it.
But...with that info, be accurate. Don't waste their time or yours, or worse, be hired and fired for falsifying an application.

Be professional. This is a professional position, and it is up to us to separate ourselves from the seat meat. They will always be around. But we can work above that, and continue to set the right example. Good Luck ...drive safe.
-----------------------

I hope others will weigh in.
I just wanted to put my thoughts out there, but this is far from complete.
There is so much to add to this topic, and it does seem to be an ongoing need.

great info man thanks