Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Question on Shower Etiquette (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/20750-question-shower-etiquette.html)

some_dude_in_michigan 09-23-2006 10:19 PM

Question on Shower Etiquette

While I have some time, I have a question, this may sound silly, but I am serious.

I've noticed in a few shower stalls at some truck stops, a little card that says something like:

"This shower was cleaned for you by__________, if you have any concerns please see me."

This seems to add a personal touch to your shower, my question is, are we expected to tip the shower attendant? Do any of you tip the shower attendant?

I have never left a tip in the shower. (and some sure wouldn't deserve it, when simple things like an unflushed toilet are left)

GMAN 09-23-2006 10:52 PM

I have actually seen a couple leave a note requesting tips. While I appreciate the job these people do, I have yet to see any of them do a job which would require a tip. After all, we are talking about a truck stop not a four star hotel.

RockyMtnProDriver 09-23-2006 11:49 PM

Re: Question on Shower Etiquette

Quote:

Originally Posted by some_dude_in_michigan
my question is, are we expected to tip the shower attendant? Do any of you tip the shower attendant?

Only if they get into the shower with you and wash your back......

kc0iv 09-24-2006 12:07 AM

Re: Question on Shower Etiquette

Quote:

Originally Posted by some_dude_in_michigan
While I have some time, I have a question, this may sound silly, but I am serious.

I've noticed in a few shower stalls at some truck stops, a little card that says something like:

"This shower was cleaned for you by__________, if you have any concerns please see me."

This seems to add a personal touch to your shower, my question is, are we expected to tip the shower attendant? Do any of you tip the shower attendant?

I have never left a tip in the shower. (and some sure wouldn't deserve it, when simple things like an unflushed toilet are left)

I've seem several showers I would agree leave alot left wanting.

At other times I have seem some that you could tell the attendant went above standards to do a good job.

In the first case she/he got nothing. In the second case I left a tip.

I feel there is no difference with these workers than a waitress. Good service gets a tip. Bad service don't.

kc0iv

bigtimba 09-24-2006 12:11 AM

I have . .

. . very rarely. The TA in Troutdale a couple of times, the TA way down south on I-15 in Utah, to name a few. In both cases, the attendants were friendly and of foreign persuasion and the showers were immaculate. There have been a few others, especially if the card is out AND they leave candy . .

golfhobo 09-24-2006 07:39 PM

Most "chain" truckstops don't practice this. Bosselman's (Pilots) do, and Jubitz in Portland, and the Boise Stage Stop. I'm sure there are others. I've found that those who do have REALLY nice showers! Very clean and spacious! To ME, this is important. And have you ever seen people cleaning showers all day long? Must be a nasty job.

Like waitresses, I'm sure they are paid minimim wage OR LESS. As truckers, we are making way more money than them. What's a couple of dollars to YOU? To THEM, it could make the difference between hamburger dinner for the family and an occaisional roast or steak.

As a trucker, how would your life be WITHOUT those who clean your showers? If you don't get a free one with fuel, it costs you NINE dollars. If you get a free one - on your company - for buying fuel there, can you NOT spare a dollar or two for those less fortunate?

Tipping is an accepted practice in MOST civilized countries. ONLY in America do the citizens expect service without gratuity. We are snobs!

A Coke costs almost $2 in a T/S. I save money by bringing my OWN at about 50 cents a piece. I can spend more than 2 bucks on a beer, and drink it in 30 minutes. I am MORE than willing to share a few bucks with the "lower class." But, then.... I'm a Democrat! That's what we do!

If you're offended by the request, ignore it (and your conscience.)

I never eat the candy. I flush my toilet, and pick up my towels. The rest is up to them. But... when I consider THEIR lot in life, compared to my own, I cannot be stingy. If they've got the hutzpah to ask for a tip.... I leave one. EVERY time!

And I feel better about myself for having done so!

Hobo

DD60 09-24-2006 07:54 PM

VERY WELL SAID 8)

09-24-2006 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DD60
VERY WELL SAID 8)

YUP!

Rev.Vassago 09-24-2006 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfhobo
And have you ever seen people cleaning showers all day long? Must be a nasty job.

Sucks to be them. If they don't like it, I hear McDonald's is hiring.

Quote:

Like waitresses, I'm sure they are paid minimim wage OR LESS. As truckers, we are making way more money than them.
So what? It's not my fault they took that job, and I don't set the rate, as I am not their employer. Let their boss give them a tip.

Quote:

What's a couple of dollars to YOU?
A lot.

Quote:

To THEM, it could make the difference between hamburger dinner for the family and an occaisional roast or steak.
Then I suggest they become truck drivers.

Quote:

As a trucker, how would your life be WITHOUT those who clean your showers? If you don't get a free one with fuel, it costs you NINE dollars. If you get a free one - on your company - for buying fuel there, can you NOT spare a dollar or two for those less fortunate?
It isn't charity - it's a job. If the truckstop didn't clean the showers, they would lose business (not to mention probably get shut down due to health code violations).

Again, if they don't like the wage they are receiving, then it is up to them to do something about it.

Quote:

Tipping is an accepted practice in MOST civilized countries. ONLY in America do the citizens expect service without gratuity. We are snobs!
That is ridiculous. Gratuity is something you give to someone who goes ABOVE AND BEYOND. If they are "just doing their job", and not getting paid a living wage for it, then they don't deserve a tip.

Quote:

Coke costs almost $2 in a T/S. I save money by bringing my OWN at about 50 cents a piece. I can spend more than 2 bucks on a beer, and drink it in 30 minutes. I am MORE than willing to share a few bucks with the "lower class." But, then.... I'm a Democrat! That's what we do!
So now this is political? I am a Republican, and I believe that people should EARN what they are given. I don't expect tips from my customers, but I accept them graciously when I receive them. But, then again, I always go "above and beyond". If a waiter or waitress gives exceptional service, not only will I tip them, but I will REALLY tip them - sometimes more than the bill.

Quote:

Just as you are ignoring the underlying problem.

Quote:

I never eat the candy. I flush my toilet, and pick up my towels. The rest is up to them. But... when I consider THEIR lot in life, compared to my own, I cannot be stingy. If they've got the hutzpah to ask for a tip.... I leave one. EVERY time!
I would take the little card to the manager of the truckstop, and tell him to start paying his employees a living wage.

GirlnamedShannon 09-24-2006 10:01 PM

Quote:

Actually, tipping is common primarily in the States and Canada. In most other countries it's considered insulting as it implies that the owners/bosses aren't paying their workers a fair wage.

Deus 09-24-2006 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlnamedShannon
Quote:

Actually, tipping is common primarily in the States and Canada. In most other countries it's considered insulting as it implies that the owners/bosses aren't paying their workers a fair wage.

Yeah I was talking to someone that just got back from Spain and he said if you tip a waiter there it is considered an insult. It means they are such bad waiters that they must get paid horribly for the job they do and need hand outs to get by.

Deus 09-24-2006 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago

I had someone come to my door a while back asking for money to help keep him off the street. I asked him how his driving record was, he seemed shocked and then said "It's fine". I told him that he could make a lot more driving a truck than going door to door and there is no unemployment in trucking. He told me that he makes great money doing this and he hates driving, to which I responded "If you make so much money you don't need a hand out from me."

Deus 09-24-2006 10:27 PM

Quote:

So now this is political? I am a Republican, and I believe that people should EARN what they are given. st, ignore it (and your conscience.)

I KNEW there was a reason I like you!

Useless 09-24-2006 11:55 PM

I've tipped shower attendants for good service, and I agree with Golfhobo here.

Useless 09-25-2006 12:11 AM

Quote:

So what? It's not my fault they took that job, and I don't set the rate, as I am not their employer.

[quote: Golf:] What's a couple of dollars to YOU?

A lot.

[quote: Golf"]

To THEM, it could make the difference between hamburger dinner for the family and an occaisional roast or steak. [/quote]

Reverand(?) V:

Again, if they don't like the wage they are receiving, then it is up to them to do something about it.

Sadly, a lot of people, and a lot of companies have the very same attitude about professional drivers!! Oh, but that's different, right? :wink:

Rawlco 09-25-2006 12:12 AM

Quote:

A Coke costs almost $2 in a T/S. I save money by bringing my OWN at about 50 cents a piece. I can spend more than 2 bucks on a beer, and drink it in 30 minutes. I am MORE than willing to share a few bucks with the "lower class." But, then.... I'm a Democrat! That's what we do!

Sorry, I can't quite ignore that. You as a Democrat are no different than any other human, except for your attitude.

As a Republican I prefer to keep my money away from the Government so that I have the ability to donate to worthy causes and needy people. I don't like working hard and paying taxes so that there can be 10,000 government bureaucrats making $90,000 per year between me and the people that need my help.

If people need something I am glad to help, but I strongly dislike to line the pockets of government "administrators" who don't contribute to society.

I agree with Rev V. about tipping:
People who do a job better than required or go above and beyond the call of duty are rewarded with an appropriate tip. I tip generously, generally $5 for good service for a meal. $3 to $4 if they never checked if I needed anything. $1.75 in change if they never refilled my drinks, and I leave the change under the empty glass so that they know why their tip was low. By the way I eat cheaply so $5 is usually 30% to 50% of the bill.

golfhobo 09-25-2006 12:43 AM

Rev: I suspect you are only toying with me.... but I'll play along, as long as you don't take it personally. :lol:

Quote:

Quote:

And have you ever seen people cleaning showers all day long? Must be a nasty job.

Typical Conservative response!

Quote:

Like waitresses, I'm sure they are paid minimim wage OR LESS. As truckers, we are making way more money than them.
So what? It's not my fault they took that job, and I don't set the rate, as I am not their employer. Let their boss give them a tip.

If you WERE their boss... would you pay any better? Or give them a tip for doing a GOOD job?

Quote:

A lot.

Sorry to hear you are so "strapped." I've got an extra "fiver" here that I was going to give to a shower attendant. If you NEED it more... I'll send it to YOU!

Quote:

To THEM, it could make the difference between hamburger dinner for the family and an occaisional roast or steak.

And you don't think some of them haven't TRIED? Maybe, that's why they want to work around Truckers!

Quote:

It isn't charity - it's a job. If the truckstop didn't clean the showers, they would lose business (not to mention probably get shut down due to health code violations).

If this were so... many truckstops I've stopped at would have NO business. Yet... they do! Again... a typical conservative "faith based" response!

Quote:

That is ridiculous. Gratuity is something you give to someone who goes ABOVE AND BEYOND. If they are "just doing their job", and not getting paid a living wage for it, then they don't deserve a tip.

Most Wait staff are paid BELOW the minimum wage because they are EXPECTED to make TIPS. Although, I share your concern that they should give good service, they are NOT making even minimum wage, and REGARDLESS of their level of service.... do you want your dinner tonight or not?

Quote:

Coke costs almost $2 in a T/S. I save money by bringing my OWN at about 50 cents a piece. I can spend more than 2 bucks on a beer, and drink it in 30 minutes. I am MORE than willing to share a few bucks with the "lower class." But, then.... I'm a Democrat! That's what we do!
So now this is political? I am a Republican, and I believe that people should EARN what they are given. I don't expect tips from my customers, but I accept them graciously when I receive them. But, then again, I always go "above and beyond". If a waiter or waitress gives exceptional service, not only will I tip them, but I will REALLY tip them - sometimes more than the bill.

:lol: No... not political... geez, can't I make a simple statement about what I believe in?? My DAD is a Republican, and he spends 15 minutes after each meal "calculating" the 15% tip he feels "required" to leave. I have a simple system. Under $20 bucks they get $2 minimum. Whether a cheezy truckstop or a nice restaurant. OVER $20 bucks, I leave $3-4 dollars. If the service is EXCEPTIONAL, I leave $5 or more. Nice to know that one who thinks these people are stealing from you, will accept a gratuity if offered! :lol: As a "driver" I never HAVE and never WOULD! I get paid enough for "doing my job!" :wink:

Quote:

Um... could you run that by me again? I thought I WAS responding to the "underlying" problem, or at least the O.P's question.

Quote:

I would take the little card to the manager of the truckstop, and tell him to start paying his employees a living wage.

And in doing so... you would continue the stereotype of the cheap, demanding, arrogant trucker that SOME of us are trying to change! I bet you would even eat the candy before doing so! :lol:

Now... don't go getting MAD at me, Rev! I'm only "playing" with you here. Unless.... of course... you are serious! :lol: :lol:

Hobo

Mackman 09-25-2006 01:17 AM

i think everyone should tip at dinners. I dont know about showers (dont drive OTR) But me and my girlfriend go to ruby tuesday atlest 2 times a week i love the place. The bill is allways 22-25 dollers. I will leave a tip of 5-7 bucks depending if they where good or not. But i will allways leave something. Am just happy to see people working and not sitting on there ass on fake workmens comp cliams or wellfare. Buy the way i am a Republican.

golfhobo 09-25-2006 01:34 AM

Rawlco: So nice to see you again! Too bad I had to say something "political" to get you to re-engage! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rawlco
Quote:

Sorry, I can't quite ignore that. You as a Democrat are no different than any other human, except for your attitude.

Um... thanks... I THINK! :lol: But, I don't think it is just "attitude." More like "beliefs." And I'm OBVIOUSLY different from the Rev, who thinks wait staff should be able to LIVE on $2.35/hr without tips!

As a Republican I prefer to keep my money away from the Government so that I have the ability to donate to worthy causes and needy people. I don't like working hard and paying taxes so that there can be 10,000 government bureaucrats making $90,000 per year between me and the people that need my help.

See... this is where I agree with you! I also have a "conservative" side. I don't like paying taxes either, especially so that government can "expand." Note that the recent Republican administration has expanded gov't MORE than any Dem administration in the past! Problem is that if left up to THEM, MOST conservatives will NOT give enough to the poor and needy to do the job, EVEN when getting HUGE tax credits from the republican administration. The rich get richer, and the poor don't get enough to get by. This creates a "caste system" in this country, not unlike that in India in the past.

If people need something I am glad to help, but I strongly dislike to line the pockets of government "administrators" who don't contribute to society.

Yet your conservative "friends" do it every day! Lining the pockets of so-called "democratically elected" officials in order to get favorable tax rulings, greenhouse gas rulings, immigration rulings, and the list goes on!

I agree with Rev V. about tipping:
People who do a job better than required or go above and beyond the call of duty are rewarded with an appropriate tip. I tip generously, generally $5 for good service for a meal. $3 to $4 if they never checked if I needed anything. $1.75 in change if they never refilled my drinks, and I leave the change under the empty glass so that they know why their tip was low. By the way I eat cheaply so $5 is usually 30% to 50% of the bill.

I am SO glad that you are so generous with your tips - to those who are making LESS than minimum wage! I'm sure you sleep WELL at night. And I suppose you expect them to pay for medical expenses for their children out of that "fiver" you left them... since they don't get any medical benefits EITHER with their job.

The day YOU can show me how you could live on $2.35/hr and tips, with NO medical, you can lecture ME about how the lower class benefits from conservative "faith based' initiatives. Meanwhile.... I'd just as soon the fat cat Republicans don't get so many tax breaks, pay a fair amount of what they make (no more) and share the burden of support for those upon whose backs they've made their millions.

I'm somewhat conservative, too. I don't like p*ssing down a hole! But, I am REQUIRED by my allegiance to the Constitution, to ensure that ALL Americans have at least a CHANCE at the American Dream!

I'm willing to negotiate the terms of how to do this.... but ONLY after the playing field is equal. We are the richest country in the history of the world... yet we have a "caste system" not unlike the third world country of India!

Hey... don't take what I say as "personal." I'm just responding to an IDEA you posted! If you want to overthrow the government, and remake it... I'm all for it! I've even got the plans! I don't like paying taxes EITHER, but as long as I DO... I don't like Republicans getting all the exemptions from doing so!

some_dude_in_michigan 09-25-2006 02:08 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I have always known that Waiters/Waitresses are paid a sub-minimum wage with an expected tip considered part of their wage. I've had a few waitresses tell me that their W2 tax forms actually include an assumed tip for each receipt that they ring up and if you "stiff them" they actual pay on money they didn't get. In light of that, it takes REALLY bad service for me to not leave at least a buck. Most of the time I leave 20-25%. I also take into consideration how busy the place is and how much time they CAN allot to me.

Being new to driving, the shower thing was something I was not familiar with, so I wasn't sure what was expected.

Knowing that MOST of my showers are free, after my company picks up the fuel tab, I guess a buck or 2 might not be a bad idea to leave, based on the condition I find the shower in.

Quote:

I'm a Democrat! That's what we do!

I'm an Air America Radio listening Liberal Democrat. While things might be changing, we seem to be an under represented demographic in this profession. Glad to meet another Democrat in this line of work.

Rev.Vassago 09-25-2006 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless
Sadly, a lot of people, and a lot of companies have the very same attitude about professional drivers!! Oh, but that's different, right? :wink:

Nope - it's completely identical. If they aren't making enough money at their current job, it is up to them to do something about it. It isn't up to the rest of us to supplement their income.

Quote:

Rev: I suspect you are only toying with me.... but I'll play along, as long as you don't take it personally. :lol:

You might be surprised.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Typical Conservative response!

Yup. We conservatives think people should actually WORK for their money. :wink:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you WERE their boss... would you pay any better? Or give them a tip for doing a GOOD job?

I wouldn't tip them, but as their employer, I would provide a wage that compensates them for the job they are doing - the better they do, the more they earn. Welcome to the good ol U.S. of A. :wink:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A lot.
Sorry to hear you are so "strapped." I've got an extra "fiver" here that I was going to give to a shower attendant. If you NEED it more... I'll send it to YOU!

I'm not "strapped", and I didn't get this way by throwing money around uselessly, supplementing other people's income. I work hard to earn my money, and I expect the same of anyone who I am paying.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And you don't think some of them haven't TRIED? Maybe, that's why they want to work around Truckers!

I seriously doubt it, but if they did, then I would guess there is a reason that they aren't doing it anymore (I'll give you a hint - work ethic)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If this were so... many truckstops I've stopped at would have NO business. Yet... they do! Again... a typical conservative "faith based" response!

No faith here - I'm an agnostic. And I vote with my dollars.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Most Wait staff are paid BELOW the minimum wage because they are EXPECTED to make TIPS. Although, I share your concern that they should give good service, they are NOT making even minimum wage, and REGARDLESS of their level of service.... do you want your dinner tonight or not?

They chose to take that job, knowing full well that they would be counting on their customers for part of their income. If they have become so complacent that they feel they don't need to go "above and beyond" the norm to earn that income, then I feel no reason to go "above and beyond" paying my check.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

:lol: No... not political... geez, can't I make a simple statement about what I believe in?? My DAD is a Republican, and he spends 15 minutes after each meal "calculating" the 15% tip he feels "required" to leave. I have a simple system. Under $20 bucks they get $2 minimum. Whether a cheezy truckstop or a nice restaurant. OVER $20 bucks, I leave $3-4 dollars. If the service is EXCEPTIONAL, I leave $5 or more. Nice to know that one who thinks these people are stealing from you, will accept a gratuity if offered! :lol: As a "driver" I never HAVE and never WOULD! I get paid enough for "doing my job!" :wink:

The last time I ate out, I left no tip - I had to ask for items that were supposed to be included with my meal, and my wife had to ask for a refill of her hot water for tea - even though the waitress took the little cup that the water was in. The time before that, I left a $20 tip on a $60 check, as the waitress obviously took pride in her job, and deserved every penny.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Um... could you run that by me again? I thought I WAS responding to the "underlying" problem, or at least the O.P's question.

No - you are missing the real problem, that these employees of the truck stops aren't making a decent wage, and feel the need to beg the customers for money. If they feel they need to beg me for their income, they better give me a good reason to pay it.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And in doing so... you would continue the stereotype of the cheap, demanding, arrogant trucker that SOME of us are trying to change! I bet you would even eat the candy before doing so! :lol:

Cheap? You bet - I didn't get here by being frivolous.

Arrogant? Absolutely. I worked hard to get where I am, and expect others to do the same.

Eat the candy? No freakin way - I'm not putting anything near my mouth that someone cleaning bathrooms for a living put there for me.

Quote:

Now... don't go getting MAD at me, Rev! I'm only "playing" with you here. Unless.... of course... you are serious! :lol: :lol:

I'm absolutely serious, so I am expecting a flame war. :wink:

golfhobo 09-25-2006 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deus
Quote:

Originally Posted by GirlnamedShannon
Quote:

Yeah I was talking to someone that just got back from Spain and he said if you tip a waiter there it is considered an insult. It means they are such bad waiters that they must get paid horribly for the job they do and need hand outs to get by.

Hmmm.... Well... I haven't "talked" to anyone who just got back from Europe lately, but I WAS there. I ate dinners in fancy restaurants in Spain, Germany, Italy, and Greece. If they didn't have their "hand out" while turning their backs, they just plain included it on the bill. In Greece, particularly, they were so used to being "stiffed" by American Soldiers, that they automatically included a 15% gratuity on ALL tickets for 2 people or more! (easy to miss, if you didn't SPEAK/READ the language.)

A cabbie would drop you at the end of the block if you paid him "meter" (which they didn't even use.) Give him a couple dollars TIP, and he'd wake you up in the morning and take you to work!

I never ONCE, in 2 years, had ANYONE refuse a tip. But... hey! Don't listen to ME!

The ENTIRE 3rd World operates on "gratuities" or "kickbacks." And they'll bend over backwards if it comes in American Dollars!

Have you ever been to Mexico on vacation?? :shock:

golfhobo 09-25-2006 03:47 AM

Quote:

[quote="golfhobo

You might be surprised.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Yup. We conservatives think people should actually WORK for their money. :wink:

Not YOU of course!!!! Just the lackeys that you pay minimum wage to! Most "conservative" Money families haven't hit a lick themselves in 3 generations! Not since those evil Democrats abolished Slavery! :wink:

Like waitresses, I'm sure they are paid minimim wage OR LESS. As truckers, we are making way more money than them. [/quote]

I wouldn't tip them, but as their employer, I would provide a wage that compensates them for the job they are doing - the better they do, the more they earn. Welcome to the good ol U.S. of A. :wink:

So... delivering the food to your table should pay as much as delivering produce to the grocery warehouse?

I'm not "strapped", and I didn't get this way by throwing money around uselessly, supplementing other people's income. I work hard to earn my money, and I expect the same of anyone who I am paying.

So... you've never bought a new/used car/truck on which the seller got a commission? Or a house? Or even a $8 CD (that cost $1.10 each to make?

can you NOT spare a dollar or two for those less fortunate?

It isn't charity - it's a job.

Again... a typical conservative "faith based" response!

No faith here - I'm an agnostic. And I vote with my dollars.

As do MOST Republicans. They give their dollars to the candidate who will bend the laws in their favor!

Most Wait staff are paid BELOW the minimum wage because they are EXPECTED to make TIPS. Although, I share your concern that they should give good service, they are NOT making even minimum wage, and REGARDLESS of their level of service.... do you want your dinner tonight or not?[/quote]

They chose to take that job, knowing full well that they would be counting on their customers for part of their income. If they have become so complacent that they feel they don't need to go "above and beyond" the norm to earn that income, then I feel no reason to go "above and beyond" paying my check.

And if the CUSTOMER has become so complacent that they don't feel they need to leave a tip? This is exactly why most finer restaurants include a "gratuity" in the ticket price. Because Americans are complacent and don't CARE about those who wait on them!

So now this is political? I am a Republican, and I believe that people should EARN what they are given. I don't expect tips from my customers, but I accept them graciously when I receive them. But, then again, I always go "above and beyond". If a waiter or waitress gives exceptional service, not only will I tip them, but I will REALLY tip them - sometimes more than the bill.[/quote]

Well... I can't argue with THIS! I wonder if they have a "lottery" to decide WHO gets your special treatment?

:lol: No... not political... geez, can't I make a simple statement about what I believe in?? My DAD is a Republican, and he spends 15 minutes after each meal "calculating" the 15% tip he feels "required" to leave. I have a simple system. Under $20 bucks they get $2 minimum. Whether a cheezy truckstop or a nice restaurant. OVER $20 bucks, I leave $3-4 dollars. If the service is EXCEPTIONAL, I leave $5 or more. Nice to know that one who thinks these people are stealing from you, will accept a gratuity if offered! :lol: As a "driver" I never HAVE and never WOULD! I get paid enough for "doing my job!" :wink: [/quote]

The last time I ate out, I left no tip - I had to ask for items that were supposed to be included with my meal, and my wife had to ask for a refill of her hot water for tea - even though the waitress took the little cup that the water was in. The time before that, I left a $20 tip on a $60 check, as the waitress obviously took pride in her job, and deserved every penny.

So... if your shower is dirty, you won't leave a tip.... but if they took pride in making it clean and hospitable to you... you'll leave $20?

No - you are missing the real problem, that these employees of the truck stops aren't making a decent wage, and feel the need to beg the customers for money. If they feel they need to beg me for their income, they better give me a good reason to pay it.

So, as a Conservative, you not only want them to BEG you for a living wage... but want them to give you a good reason why they SHOULD be begging you?

Cheap? You bet - I didn't get here by being frivolous.

NOR compassionate!

Arrogant? Absolutely. I worked hard to get where I am, and expect others to do the same.

And if they need a little help, like many who come to this board, you will tell them to just "eat cake?"

Eat the candy? No freakin way - I'm not putting anything near my mouth that someone cleaning bathrooms for a living put there for me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well... you GOT me there! :lol:

I'm absolutely serious, so I am expecting a flame war. :wink:

Sorry.... Democrats don't believe in Flaming wars! That's the purview of the Conservatives! WE believe in discussion! :lol:

Scoe 09-25-2006 04:27 AM

Number 1.

The people that are employed to clean the showers are NOT considered wait staff per IRS definition, therefore they are paid a minimum of Federal minimum wage per Federal law.

Number 2.

You can not bring your own political persuasion into a conversation and then say that the conversation is NOT political. The OP just asked a question about tipping. Stay on topic and leave the politics out of it, it is a non-partisan debate. If you need to discuss something political, we have those topics in the anything and everything and current events.

Any further political discussion when it is clearly a different topic will find this thread locked.

terrylamar 09-25-2006 04:34 AM

Tipping is for personal services. Waitress, barber, manicurist, etc. The janitorial staff does not rate a tip. Otherwise why not tip the guy who is out picking up trash in the parking lot. I hate it when you go to the counter to order something and there is a tip jar there. I never drop money in the jar, no personal service was extended. I do tip my barber and waiters and waitresses. Why not put a tip jar on the back of your trailer?

golfhobo 09-25-2006 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoe
Number 1.

The people that are employed to clean the showers are NOT considered wait staff per IRS definition, therefore they are paid a minimum of Federal minimum wage per Federal law.

So... what... $5.15/hr? times 40 hours/wk = $206 gross/week. After taxes, maybe $175. Times 4 weeks is $600 net a month. Can you manage a family of 4 on that? If they clean the same 10 showers 3 times a day, and get $1 tip on each, that's an additional $30 dollars a day, or an additional $600 a month. Still not "movin' on up!" but maybe livable. the baby will get milk.

The references to BELOW minimum wage jobs WERE clearly defined as Wait staff positions for the purpose of our discussion. [which was friendly.] And I don't even want to DO the math on what THEY would take home if they got no tips!

Number 2.

You can not bring your own political persuasion into a conversation and then say that the conversation is NOT political. The OP just asked a question about tipping. Stay on topic and leave the politics out of it, it is a non-partisan debate. If you need to discuss something political, we have those topics in the anything and everything and current events.

I hear ya, Scoe. And I'm sorry if it came out that way. I guess I'm guilty. But... I cannot "check" my political beliefs at the door either. I believe and feel the way I do. But... I didn't MEAN to make it a political discussion. I thought the Rev and I were just having some fun! It was really more about being a "skinflint" or "cheapskate" than any particular political party membership. The last co-driver I had, wouldn't even leave a DOLLAR at the Petro, for a $12.00 tab for dinner. I was EMBARRASSED to be seen with him! And, funny enough, this VERY conversation came up when he read the little card in the VERY nice showers we took at the Boise Stage Stop! (where I left $2) But... I get your point. I didn't mean to make it political. I'll be more carefull! But people will have a different answer for this Original poster, based on their upbringing. Mine is one of benevolence. EVEN though my parents are of a different political party than I am. But, I find it hard to JUSTIFY a person's LACK of benevolence based on anything BUT his "political" upbringing. Perhaps this is MY failing. And I will take your warning to heart. AND your instruction to keep my answers ON TOPIC!

Any further political discussion when it is clearly a different topic will find this thread locked.

ZIP!! LOCK!! MUMS the WORD!! Not another word from ME about WHO might or might NOT tip the less fortunate! I guess it's more a PERSONAL thing. You either TIP or you DON'T.

BTW.... did y'all get my check?? :lol:

09-25-2006 06:55 AM

Quote:

Have you ever been to Mexico on vacation?? :shock:

I go to Mexico all the time and I must say, they are the most appreciative people when it comes to tipping. They never act like they expect it.

two4theroad 09-25-2006 08:27 AM

yipping shower attendants

If one does a good job a tip would be nice just like any other service job

dieselgrl 09-25-2006 02:28 PM

I have tipped for exceptional showers - but it has to be exactly that - exceptional.

I could pretty much count on one hand the amount of times I've left a tip. On the other side, I've had showers where I wished I could bathe in bleach to get the shower funk off of me....

Twilight Flyer 09-25-2006 05:03 PM

Quote:

Most Wait staff are paid BELOW the minimum wage because they are EXPECTED to make TIPS.
Expected, yes. And a good waitress/waiter in even a semi-decent sit-down restuarant can and will clear $10 to $15 an hour when you add in the tips. In better restuarants. that figure is a lot higher. I knew plenty of them that made $50K or better per year to work part-time. I knew a couple of others that worked full time that made money that would make you cry, particularly since very few of them report all their tips because of of the tax they would then have to pay.

Quote:

I have always known that Waiters/Waitresses are paid a sub-minimum wage with an expected tip considered part of their wage. I've had a few waitresses tell me that their W2 tax forms actually include an assumed tip for each receipt that they ring up and if you "stiff them" they actual pay on money they didn't get.
Incorrect and if they are telling you that, they are lying to you. A waiter/waitress is expected to report their tips, as it is income. A restuarant, on a WEEKLY basis, must calculate the hourly wage of those individuals and in cases where the hourly payrate PLUS the tips do not equal minimum wage, the restuarant must pay the extra in the form of hourly income. Most waiters/waitresses will actually report just enough or a little more, to clear the minimum wage, when in effect they are taking home a lot more. Personally, I don't have a problem with that...it's all up to the waiter/waitress, as long as they're reporting enough so that the restuarant doesn't have to cough up. The rest, then, is between them and the government. :)

Rev.Vassago 09-25-2006 07:31 PM

Quote:

Not YOU of course!!!! Just the lackeys that you pay minimum wage to! Most "conservative" Money families haven't hit a lick themselves in 3 generations! Not since those evil Democrats abolished Slavery! :wink:

I've never paid minimum wage. My labor today did an excellent job, and received about $28 an hour.

Quote:

So... delivering the food to your table should pay as much as delivering produce to the grocery warehouse?
That is for the market to decide - and I'm not talking about the grocery market.

Quote:

So... you've never bought a new/used car/truck on which the seller got a commission? Or a house? Or even a $8 CD (that cost $1.10 each to make?
Yes I have, but I don't make a habit of paying retail if I can get away with it. The last new car I bought (a 2006 Chrysler 300) was for about $5000 under list price. When I bought my 55" Sony TV, I paid about half of retail for it - and I bought it at a retail store.

There is something in this country called "perceived value" - what you think something is worth is not necessarily what I think something is worth. I think that the labor to clean showers is worth less than you do.

Quote:

Again... a typical conservative "faith based" response!
No comment. :wink:

Quote:

As do MOST Republicans. They give their dollars to the candidate who will bend the laws in their favor!
No comment, other than I have never contributed to any political party.

Quote:

And if the CUSTOMER has become so complacent that they don't feel they need to leave a tip? This is exactly why most finer restaurants include a "gratuity" in the ticket price. Because Americans are complacent and don't CARE about those who wait on them!
No, most restaurants include a gratuity for large parties.

Quote:

Well... I can't argue with THIS! I wonder if they have a "lottery" to decide WHO gets your special treatment?
The easy way to figure out how to get special treatment from me is to go above and beyond the call of duty. That opens my wallet every time.

Quote:

So... if your shower is dirty, you won't leave a tip.... but if they took pride in making it clean and hospitable to you... you'll leave $20?
Maybe - I don't know. I haven't found one yet.

Quote:

So, as a Conservative, you not only want them to BEG you for a living wage... but want them to give you a good reason why they SHOULD be begging you?
No - I don't want anyone begging for a living wage - I think the employer should provide it - that is the job of the employer. It isn't my job to provide his employees with their hourly pay, just so he can get away with paying peanuts.

Quote:

NOR compassionate!
Nobody was compassionate to me when I was down and out - I pulled myself up by the bootstraps, and turned my life around.

Quote:

And if they need a little help, like many who come to this board, you will tell them to just "eat cake?"
It isn't a matter of whether they "need a little help". If their job doesn't pay what it should, they should find another one - there is no shortage of good paying jobs in this country, but there IS a shortage of hard working people to fill them. Most people just want a handout, and want to be paid more than they are worth.

GMAN 09-25-2006 09:38 PM

Quote:

Not to fuel the flames, but many of the wealthier people I have met over the years consider themselves Democrats. And the slaves were freed by Lincoln, who was a Republican. :wink:

Overloaded 09-26-2006 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
Quote:

Not to fuel the flames, but many of the wealthier people I have met over the years consider themselves Democrats. And the slaves were freed by Lincoln, who was a Republican. :wink:

Not to mention in the slavery days the south was pretty much pure Democrat.

Colin 09-26-2006 07:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overloaded
Not to mention in the slavery days the south was pretty much pure Democrat.

Yeah. People never change either. 200 years and things are exactly the same.

What exactly was the point of your post?

golfhobo 09-27-2006 01:24 AM

Hmmm.... I can't comment on much of the Rev's "no comments" or his "comments" without being political, so I can't.

I will say to others, that my comments about the evildoers abolishing slavery was meant to be tongue in cheek.

I have been to MANY fine restaurants that add gratuities for OTHER than large parties. MANY of them in the D.C. area, and others throughout the world.

But... this was NOT about 'wait staff.'

It was about showers. I've been to Love's where there were curly hairs in the sink and the toilet, and trash in the trash can.

I've been to Petros and T/A's where I had to chase down an attendant and ask them in Spanish for an extra towel.

I've been to the gearjammer in Yakima, where I didn't even have room to turn around, I had to get my towel and soap from the convenience store, and they had NO ventilation or fan in them. (She suggested I run the shower on cold for awhile after getting out!) :shock:

But, at the Boise Stage stop, the attendant got my TWO towels and escorted me to the shower room. It was bigger than my living room! It had a clean, modular shower with a sliding glass door. AND a separate tub if I prefered to soak awhile. The toilet was clean and sat right next to a Bidet! (not sure what I was supposed to do with THAT! :lol: )

There was no drain in the middle of the floor.... nice clean linoleum. A double sink, I think, hairdryer, etc., etc.

There were plastic wrapped cups for whatever some of you use them for. On and on..... and a nice little note saying that if I wasn't HAPPY, here's who to blame and who to tell!

If I was happy, and WANTED to, a gratuity would be APPRECIATED.

This was all upstairs in a private area for truckers with a nice movie room and a T.V. room.

I don't know.... it just didn't seem all that much to ask for me to leave a few bucks for someone who's job I hope I NEVER have to do!

I've tipped bellhops for doing nothing more than wheeling a cart with my bags to my room and handing me my key.

There are people in this world who find it important and gratifying to be generous to those who SERVE us, and have less than us.

Then, there are the tightwads and the clueless. I'll say no more about them or the subject.

But... it just amazes me how much some truckers whine about not getting paid for sitting on their butts waiting at a dock, when they hired on to DRIVE the truck.

JBenson2 09-27-2006 01:36 AM

Just to lighten up this discussion a bit - I found a photo of golfhobo's Boise Stage stop bathroom.

http://jbenson002.googlepages.com/Tr...full;init:.jpg

Mackman 09-27-2006 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBenson2
Just to lighten up this discussion a bit - I found a photo of golfhobo's Boise Stage stop bathroom.

I dont go OTR yet but was looking into it. What are you saying the flaying J dont have bathrooms like that. What the hell looks like am not going over the road now. :P

4roses 09-27-2006 05:00 AM

golfhobo:
Quote:

But, at the Boise Stage stop, the attendant got my TWO towels and escorted me to the shower room. It was bigger than my living room! It had a clean, modular shower with a sliding glass door. AND a separate tub if I prefered to soak awhile. The toilet was clean and sat right next to a Bidet! (not sure what I was supposed to do with THAT! )

There was no drain in the middle of the floor.... nice clean linoleum. A double sink, I think, hairdryer, etc., etc.

There were plastic wrapped cups for whatever some of you use them for. On and on..... and a nice little note saying that if I wasn't HAPPY, here's who to blame and who to tell!

If I was happy, and WANTED to, a gratuity would be APPRECIATED.

This was all upstairs in a private area for truckers with a nice movie room and a T.V. room.

I don't know.... it just didn't seem all that much to ask for me to leave a few bucks for someone who's job I hope I NEVER have to do!
I've been to this one .... all I could say was ... WOWWWWWW .... as they were walking me to my room. .... Now why can't the other TS follow the same plan as this one ...... I would willing pay for this one each and everything and leave a tip to boot.

PsyWiped 09-27-2006 06:59 AM

Tipping in the United States is legally optional (by definition, a "gratuity" can never be a required part of compensation[6]), but has become so ingrained in the culture that it is considered mandatory by many.[citation needed] The wide variety of professions, in addition to the varying percentages and amounts which are expected of each profession, arguably gives the United States the distinction of having the most common (and complicated) tipping culture in the world.

* Waiters: 15% is generally accepted as a standard tip for good service, though higher tips (>20%) are common for exceptional service. With large parties, an automatic 15?20% tip is sometimes added to the check.
* Busser (Tip generally not expected, as tip sharing with the waiters sometimes occurs)
* Restaurant take-away/curbside servers typically do expect a tip although the standard for good service (usually the same person takes your order, bags it up, and brings it to your car) is 10% as they are not providing the extent of services that a waiter would provide.
* Hotel bellman/bellhop/porters ($1 to $2 per bag) $1-$2 extra for other services(getting ice, arranging dinner reservations or show tickets.)
* Hotel maids ($2 per day)
* Hotel room service (15-20%; Same as restaurant gratuity below.)
* Hotel concierge ($5 to $10)
* Hotel doorman ($1 per bag for help with luggage; $1 for hailing a cab)
* Sommeliers (15% of the cost of the bottle)
* Bartenders ($1 per drink or 15% of bar bill)
* Restroom attendant ($0.50 to $1)
* Taxicab drivers (15%)
* Limo drivers (15-25%)
* Valet parking attendants ($1 to $5 upon arrival and departure; make sure to tip person actually parking and/or delivering vehicle)
* Hairdressers/barbers (10% in small towns, 15-20% in cities; Tip is expected whether the stylist is the proprietor or not.)
* Manicurist (15%)
* Spa service (15-20%)
* Pizza (and other food) delivery-persons (10% of total, at least $3. In most cases, the delivery driver pays for his or her fuel. Many companies use contractors who receive no hourly wage.)
* Curbside luggage handlers at airports ($1 per bag)
* Coat checker ($1 per coat)
* Ski instructors (sometimes, especially when giving a private lesson)
* Piercers and tattoo artists (body piercers generally 10%, tattoo artists %20)
* Movers ($20 to $30 per mover plus extra for stairs)
* Large or heavy deliveries ($5 to $10 per person)
* Shoe shiners
* Tour Guides/Tour Bus operators (only private guides)
* Karaoke disc jockey ($1 per song)
* Mechanical bull operator ($1 per ride)
* Golf Caddies ($10 to $20 per bag carried, but sometimes more is given) [citation needed]
* Golf Club Cleaners: $3.00 per bag
* Camp Counselor: Many higher-class summer camps encourage parents to tip at least $20 per camper
* Gas station attendant from $.50 - $5.00 (median is $1, mean is around $1.33)[citation needed](Minimum service gas station attendants are never tipped.)
* At a buffet: $1 per person; if staff bring free beverages to the table, 25? for each drink
* Poker dealers: $1 per pot other than blind steals, which require no tip. Often, more is given if the pot is very large. Similarly, chip runners are tipped for bringing chips or exchanging denominations.

Employees in occupations where tipping is common typically receive very low salaries and receive the bulk, if not all, of their compensation in tips. [citation needed]
[edit]

At a restaurant

The standard is 15% for restaurant meals, higher for exceptionally good service. Many restaurants will automatically add a gratuity of 15-20% to the bill for large parties, often defined as 6 (or 8) or more people; if this is done the amount is clearly indicated on the check as a "gratuity" or "service charge." In this case no additional tip is required to be added to the total, but is appreciated if the service was excellent. The built-in gratuity is part of the bill, and not paying the tip may be subject to the same consequences as "skipping out" on a bill. In the case of poor service, many choose to leave a tip but also to speak with the manager or supervisor on duty. If the patron plans to visit the establishment again, it is in his or her best interest to leave a good tip so that subsequent service will be adequate. [neutrality disputed]

Tipping at buffet-style restaurants is not as common, since buffet workers are paid a slightly higher fixed wage and do not depend as much on tips. The amount of the tip should be proportional to the amount of time that the server needed to spend on properly helping the customer.

Sometimes, the menu offers tipping information as a guide to patrons. If a diner is unsure of how much to tip a server, the gratuity stated on the menu is usually an appropriate percentage to apply. [neutrality disputed]

When dining out, contact with the server is only one part of a chain of events that occurs when food is ordered. If food is prepared incorrectly or takes too long, it is often the fault of the kitchen, whose staff may receive no part of the tip. In some restaurants, however, the kitchen staff share in the tips.

At many establishments, the server must tip out members of the support staff (kitchen, bartender, and busser) at the end of their shift [7]. The amount that is tipped out is often determined by a certain percentage of the server's sales (most often 1.5-3% of total sales). Thus when a patron leaves a very small tip or no tip at all, it actually results in the server having to pay money to have served the non-tipping patron.[8] Legally, money received as a tip out should be reported as income for tax purposes, [9] but in most establishments, the server pays taxes on money tipped out.

If service is truly poor, it is best to contact management. [neutrality disputed]

US federal labor law requires that if declared tips and hourly wages do not total the minimum wage (per pay period), the employer must make up the difference[10]. Beyond that, servers often "tip out" portions of their money to support staff like bartenders and bussers[11].
[edit]

At a bar

When at a bar, and receiving good or above service, it is customary to tip $1.00 per drink. Some drinks, such as Macallan 25, which can be more than $35.00 for a single neat shot, could deserve more. This is arguable however, as it is just as easy to pour this shot as a shot of well vodka. For a pitcher of beer, which usually contains around four beers, a tip of $2.00 is reasonable. For a customer drinking a soda (at an actual drinking establishment, not a restaurant), a tip is still a good idea, but it is acceptable to tip every other drink, or on every third. Bartenders and cocktail waitresses depend on tips for a salary, and better tipping is almost always rewarded with better service.
[edit]

Holiday season

Many service staff are tipped annually during the winter holiday season (often called a "Christmas bonus"), such as house cleaners and pool cleaners. Some people also tip their local mail carrier in this manner (see government workers below).

In some large cities, the staff of apartment buildings, such as building superintendents, porters, concierges and doormen, expect an annual tip from residents during the holiday season. The amount to tip varies on the occupation of the person receiving the tip and the size and wealth of the building; most residents typically budget $75 to $200 in total each year for building holiday tips. Building staff also expect tips for performing services not normally part of their jobs, such as watering a plant or running an errand.
[edit]

Government workers

Under United States federal law it is considered bribery to tip government workers. However, they are permitted to receive money or gifts less than or equal to $20.00. It is a common practice to tip federal employees (such as one's mail carrier) $20.00 for the winter holiday. Also, in some cases a potential tipper can donate money to a charity related to the government agency. For example, most National Parks have related "natural history associations," in which case the worker that prompted the tip may appreciate hearing that their service prompted a donation.
[edit]

Canada

Tipping in Canada is very similar to that in the United States due to the close nature of the two countries. However, tipping is less widespread and generally lower. For example, while the tipping range for waiters in the United States is 15-20% with 20% for good service, the range for waiters in Canada is 10-20% with 15% for good service. Albertan tip earners generally receive gratuities on par with the American level, perhaps owing to that province's increased affluence and closer cultural ties to the U.S. Quebec and Ontario allow employers to pay lower minimum wages to workers who would reasonably be expected to be receiving tips. [12]

Workers who receive tips are legally required to report the income to the Canada Revenue Agency and pay income tax on it. However, many workers have been known to not report any income from tips at all or, perhaps more commonly, to "lowball" the figure. In response, the CRA has vowed that it will closely check the tax returns of individuals that it would reasonably expect to be receiving tips to ensure that the tips are reported, and that the amount reported on the returns is realistic. [13]

I dont tip the shower staff because every one i have been in has been dirty

golfhobo 09-28-2006 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBenson2

WOW!!! Someone should tip the PHOTOGRAPHER!! :lol:

I didn't actually get THAT one, but it was close. They DID write my name down in a book, and I can't help but think that when you leave, you get a star by your name for tipping. Maybe, on a future trip, my name will be recognized, and I'll get THIS shower!

I wonder how much they would charge me to spend the night in THAT one?? :lol: