Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 03:43 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Wanting to get some info:

I'm looking at maybe doing otr in the next 8 to 12 months, i have a 2 companies in mind but i want to make sure that i'm making the right choice, i'm located in pasco, wa. where one of the companies always have drops at, the other is so so. I do know that there is some bad things about all companies that due business in any field, but i do expect to be respected in any manner, I love driving and love seeing new places, i do have a wife and 2 kids that love me dearly and i love them as well, i just want them to have the best in life that i can provide for them, but she stands by me no matter what, i have a job right now as a delivery driver but they keep telling me this and that and it has not happened and i have been there a year and some change, but anyways i think i have narrowed it down to well maybe 3 tops that i would go and work for, and they all offer on the job training so that works best for me at this point in time,
any (EXPERT) advice is much appreciated or advice from these companies drivers

1- C.R England
2- Swift
3- Prime
Old 06-08-2005, 03:56 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You didn't mention the ages of your children, but the best thing a parent can do for their children is to be there for them. Driving over the road is considerably different than driving local. Most companies keep drivers out at least 2 weeks at a time. Some for as long as 6 weeks. If you feel that this is the best thing for your family you might want to expand your list of companies to include Schneider and Werner. Some are telling us that Millis is a good training company. There is another thread on this forum that tells a lot about some of the training companies. Two others that I see a lot on the left coast are Covenant and US Xpress. I don't mean to further cloud your decision making, but these other companies might be worth considering. 8)
Old 06-08-2005, 04:08 AM
Board Regular

correct me if i'm wrong here, i heard someone say that u.s xpress is no longer doing their own school and you need at least 6 months experince, as far as the others you mentioned i rarely see them here in my area
Old 06-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Default None of the above

You did not have the pick of "None of the Above .."

Please do yourself a favor. Search through this newbie forum and read some of the posts and the process. First question is to get a CDL not select a company.

Also, depending on your DUI's and criminal record there are a lot better companies to train with.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Board Regular

i have a pretty clean record expect for last year when i got stopped by wsp for not having a rear mirror at the back of the box truck, i had just started and didnt know i had to have one, other than that i'm clean, the reason i picked those 3 is that i have talked to some of their drivers and they have been there for years and enjoy the company, i not going to go into this with a bad attitude about any of the companies, like i heard a driver say if you keep the doors shut and the wheels spinning you will make money driving, not trying ti act like i know it all but i have some brains and you cant go to any company have a bad attitude right off the bat, as far as my crimminal record it is squeaky clean, never been in trouble with or arrested by the law
Old 06-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Company Choices

OK .. Because of your driving record and if you have no big gaps in employment you have a lot more choices how you earn a license and then train to be a trucker.

1. Decide your financial, family, and employment position. Can you pay cash for tuition, room and board? Do you need finical assistance? Do you need a company to get your CDL and train? (You will be an indentured servant at that point but you will have a CDL and get trained.) What family? Do you want to ease into this going 4 hours a day at a community college or can you devote all your waking time to getting a CDL? Are you now employed and thus want to go at night or is this the beginning of a "forced" career change?

As you see depending on your situation and desires you have lots of decisions to make. the training

For example, if you can pay tuition, room and board you can apply to CRETE and go to their school. They are a very very good company. If you need the company to train you Schneider will provide room and board throughout the training process.

I did an in-between. I went to a local community college called Glendale Community College. It meets 4 hours per day for 8 weeks. It has a 2:1 student instructor ratio and is a very reasonable 2K for a non-accredited course. I have found the course to be superior to anything else locally here in Phoenix.

My strategy also eased me into this business by slowly introducing the concept to my wife.

2. Based on that decision I decided to go with Werner.

Now of your three Swift does have a training program and if you read posts in this forum you will see it is a much better choice than CR England or Prime. But there many more options than those you have posted thus far.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Be advised US Xpress no longer has their school. You have to have a CDL and be working on the hazmat endorsement to go there. I would look at other companies than these three. There are no real prizes here. The driver that went to Werner made a good choice. Werner is a decent company to go to just starting out. CR England and Prime; please stay away from their lease purchase program if you go with them; no goo can come of that. Swift is decent as a training company to do the first year with. If you need to get a CDL and need a company just for the first year I would go to Swift before England or Prime. GO safely; see you on the big road! :rock:
Old 06-10-2005, 05:21 AM
Board Regular

I'm starting to lean towards C.R England, they may not be the perfect carrier but who really is, like in all job fields there is bad and good
Old 06-10-2005, 06:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuretrucker
I'm starting to lean towards C.R England, they may not be the perfect carrier but who really is, like in all job fields there is bad and good
futuretrucker; stay away from the leas purchase option they may offer. it is not a good thing to get involved with. go safely; see you on the big road! :rock: