View Poll Results: What would you do if EOBR's were mandatory?
I'm a company driver and would stick it out no matter what. 0 0%
I'm a company driver and would give it a try. 4 33.33%
I'm a company driver and would be out the door A.S.A.P. 1 8.33%
I'm a Owner Operator and would incur the cost to keep my business truckin'. 0 0%
I'm a Owner Operator and would put my truck in my driveway for sale. 0 0%
I'm just getting in to the industry and will welcome the challenge. 2 16.67%
I'm just getting in to the industry and will discontinue my hopes of being a truck driver. 0 0%
I don't give a flyin' hoot if they are mandatory. 5 41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default ELECTRONIC ON BOARD RECORDERS

I was wondering what kind of effect these would have on the industry when and if they are mandatory. I know it's going to have a financial impact and safety impact, but I haven't heard a whole lot on what kind of impact on the number of drivers available it could have. There's already a driver shortage and I think if EOBR's were mandatory some drivers might leave the industry or people looking to get in to trucking might turn away when they find out these things are mandatory. Thus creating a even bigger driver shortage. I personally would reassess my position if EOBR's were mandatory. It would mostly depend on what dock time would be recorded as. I currently put all dock time in the sleeper berth except for 15 minutes. If EOBR's put that time as on duty not driving you would lose several hours of drive time a week. If this were the case companies would have to hike driver pay a lot to compensate. Then there's the owner operators which is a another story. What would you do if these were mandatory?
Old 12-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Default Re: ELECTRONIC ON BOARD RECORDERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK THE TRUCKER
I was wondering what kind of effect these would have on the industry when and if they are mandatory. I

The only impact that these things are going to have on the industry is to create a lot of whining....
We (collectively speaking) as truckers are incapable of standing together or speaking out as one voice. As such, truckers will never carry any weight when it comes to little black boxes or anything else in the industry that requires any input. Thus, the trucking industry will always be governed by a group of people that know nothing about what we do or the effects that their changes will have on us.
I'm not bitter which is how I'm sure i sound. I'm speaking of my own opinion that's based on years of "taking it all in".

-Oscar
Old 12-27-2004, 08:34 PM

I agree that pay would probably have to be adjusted. It might cut down on drivers having to do their own loading and unloading if they have to show it as such on their electronic log. If loading and unloading time automatically count as hours of service, it's that many less hours the truck can run, and that many more hours the truck will sit idle so the driver can get his mandatory sleeper berth or off duty time. And an idle truck costs money. Lots of it in the long run.

I believe drivers will find ways to get around it to a point if it becomes mandatory. But I have at least a reasonable amount of confidence it will all work out. Trucking has evolved a lot over time. I believe most old timers will strongly agree. Although there have been some bumps along the way, I think at least most of the changes we have seen have been favorable in the long run.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:16 PM
Senior Board Member

you guys are all talking like this is not happening now. Werner has been monitoring everything there drivers are doing in there trucks since the electronic log went into effect. Does not affect your pay just makes you drive legally. Guys and girls all over our great country you are monitored and filmed by camera's everyday and you dont even realize it. Nothing is going to change so stop worrying about it

Most companies monitor there trucks through the qualcomm anyway
Old 12-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Rookie
Default recorders

Itrained with a company for a while that uses these things and believe me you still can, and they still do beat the system to a degree. To me it isnt that much of a threat, but if they are going to make it mandatory for the owner operators the system should have to pay the cost of them. It is so easy for government to whisk laws into effect without caring about the hardship of the financial factor. Dont make these things seem so important then expect the truckers to eat the cost, if you want them then pay for them!! The comment is very true about not sticking together. You dont deserve a say if you arent willing to stand up and be heard. Let these legislative butt heads carry thier goods to the stores on thier backs!