User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default my son wants to be a truck driver

He almost attended an England session, but i convinced him not to go. So where does a father look to learn some basic info about truck driver life and the industry.

I want to to help my son get into the industry and even if he doesnt want my help, understand what its all about?

Can you suggest any good reads?? "Secrets of the trucking industry" or stuff along that line.

What about Isothermal Cummunity Collge / Sage Trucking school? HAs anybody heard of it?

Can a 21 YO new driver actually get hired out of school withouth knowing somebody?

Thanks

Dave Nolan, Brick NJ

[email protected]
Old 08-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Welcome to the forum. The minimum age that a person can drive a commercial vehicle is 21. Most carriers require drivers to be at least 23-25 years old. Before doing anything I would suggest you find out if he can even get hired until he gets a little older. There is a company listings on the top of this page. Follow the link and you can find the minimum hiring requirements for most of the major carriers. Some who do hire inexperienced drivers include Swift, Stevens, Covenant, Millis, Roehl, US Xpress and CRST. These are not the only ones, but are mentioned on this forum by many who have gotten started.

There is a lot of information on this forum about what to expect as a new driver. We have a diverse group with differing degrees of experience. If you have specific questions feel free to ask. Better yet, get your son to come on here and check things out for himself. Some of us own trucks and hire drivers. Others are starting out like your son. There are also people who only have an interest in this business. Whatever their reasons, everyone has an interest in trucking.

If he wants to driver otr then he will start with a trainer for a few weeks to a few months. Once he gets a year or two under his belt he will have more doors open to him. He will need a clean mvr and criminal history. Anything other than one or perhaps two minor traffic offenses will make it difficult for him to find a carrier. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNolan598 View Post
He almost attended an England session, but i convinced him not to go. So where does a father look to learn some basic info about truck driver life and the industry.

I want to to help my son get into the industry and even if he doesnt want my help, understand what its all about?

Can you suggest any good reads?? "Secrets of the trucking industry" or stuff along that line.

What about Isothermal Cummunity Collge / Sage Trucking school? HAs anybody heard of it?

Can a 21 YO new driver actually get hired out of school withouth knowing somebody?

Thanks

Dave Nolan, Brick NJ

[email protected]
Yes. Right now, IF he wants to work a bit harder than most truck drivers, there are oilfield service companies hiring for anyplace and everyplace there is oil well drilling occurring. From Northeastern PA to Deep South TX to Northwestern North Dakota.

At 21 he could probably get Haliburton, Schlumberger, Baker Hughes, Weatherford, or 2 dozen other such companies to pay for his schooling plus, that is how short handed they are.

Have him make calls and see what those companies are willing to do.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

That is a good point, Orangetxguy. I don't seem to think about the oil fields. He may also check with his local state employment office. They may also have companies that would pay for his training or have a program where they will train him. He may even be able to get online and check jobs at the state employment office in your area. You didn't mention where your sone lives, but where you live can impact whom you can work. Some carriers only recruit out of certain areas.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
That is a good point, Orangetxguy. I don't seem to think about the oil fields. He may also check with his local state employment office. They may also have companies that would pay for his training or have a program where they will train him. He may even be able to get online and check jobs at the state employment office in your area. You didn't mention where your sone lives, but where you live can impact whom you can work. Some carriers only recruit out of certain areas.
I'm guessing that since the kid is 21, he wants to see some sights and feels driving truck interstate is the way. We all know that he is 2 years to young for the insurance companies. The oilfield service companies, they are self-insured for the most part, and young men whom are in good shape and drug free they love to death.

The young man can get into the right job, find that he not only likes the people and the work....but the travel as well. Good hands get sent all across the country by plane to drive trucks at different districts (re; terminals) If a hand is really good, they are gong to ask him to get his passport, and then he is off to the money races, working International. Yes...it is a long shot, but I have known several dozen such "Long-shots". It takes about three years to prove one's self fit for International work.

Just a suggestion for the young man. He could expect to make in the neighborhood of $65,000 working a full year with any one of the companies I mentioned plus a dozen others.

There are a couple of "leach" companies he wants to stay away from if he does take a look. Frac Tech and Select Energy Services.

Key Energy Services, Nabors Drilling, Pioneer Resources, Chesapeake Energy, H & P Drilling, Grey Wolfe Drilling...and a dozen others are all hiring nationwide. Just about every single service company is providing housing and meals, or a daily per diem of $100. That per diem is totally different from what everyone knows in the trucking industry. It is cut as a separate check and is call "Cost of Living". You think....$3,000 a month. Right? You will spend just about every dime of it and these companies know it.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:58 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have delivered equipment, machinery and pads to some of those pipline construction sites in several states. It would help if he mentioned where his son lives.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Rookie
Smile Re

Hi DavidNolan598, First of all Welcome to forum. I am agree with GMAN and Orangetxguy. They are right. :thumbsup:
Old 08-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNolan598 View Post

Thanks

Dave Nolan, Brick NJ

[email protected]
Since he posted his location with his signature....I just assumed the kid lives where he does.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Rookie

Hey Guys, Thank you very much. I did not expect this much feedback, and its all very good. You guys are gentlemen indeed. For you guys to take your time and respond to a total stranger is awesome.

Im sorry, my son is in Rock Hill South Carolina. I think he has a good driving record. I know he got one ticket and hopefully thats all, but i doubt he'd tell me. He left NJ about a month back. Im in Brick NJ but I work for the military and we are being BRAC'ed to Aberdeen Proving Grounds (off I-95 at the top of Md)

He was very excited about the CREngland training thing, but i read a lot of stuff online and so he didnt go this turn. Rock Hill is about 40 mins south of Charlotte NC. There is a community college truck driver program located about 70 miles away at ISothermal community college, and I think Sage trucking is the vendor that does the driving program.

I will pass this info on and Ive been trying to get him to be proactive, because I think thats probably what you need to be a trucker on the road. You are pretty darn independent and probably have to be resourceful.

My ideas i gave to him were these (#1-#9): But I think there is a world of info right here. Im going to point him to this page.

1. Call Isothermal (or whoever you want) and ask if you can go down and
have a talk with Mr Bridges. Tell him you don't know anything about it as an industry, or as a
vocation. He's been there many years.

2. Open up the phonebook, call a local trucking company and ask to speak to
Human Resources. Ask for an appointment and go ask them how they hire their
drivers, and how a young man gets started. Ask if they hire out of schools,
and if they do, what schools? Ask questions. Like do schools get
accredited? Are there accredited truck schools? How long is it? What endorsements do I get? How do I get
tandem, and tanker endorsements? Blah blah.. you can think of 50 good questions

3. Go to the library and request any books they have about the trucking
industry.

4. Join any of the zillion truck driver forums online. I'm on one of them.
Ask questions.

5. Call moms uncle - the driver that drove for 30 years.

6. maybe stop at a rest area and see some decent looking trucker, tell him
you'll buy him dinner if he will sit with you and talk about trucking.

7. You can listen to someone you mentioned below, or you can develop your
own plan, do some research, talk to people.

8. Another approach is to immediately get two pt jobs.. wrok a fewm months,
and then join a service and go to the Armys truck driving school thru the
Guard. In fact, they Army has a Troops to Truckers Program to fill the
shortage of truckers with guys rotating out of theatre.

9. Check with the Better Business Bureau for their independent rating of
truck driver courses. You probably cant go wrong taking the one offered
through the local community college. Normally college cooperative programs
are better than industry specific ones.

Im going to direct him to this page and maybe he can join a forum and ask his own questions. Im just trying to help him and also keep him from potentially wasting money. The lady at CRE told him he'd start out at 53K and full benefits. Im not sure how they promise that

Thanks Guys

Dave Nolan, Brick NJ
Old 08-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Board Regular

David, have you son keep looking. There's far better carriers that CR England out there. They are close to the bottom of the barrel actually. Just look at these numbers!

Carrier Overview

Those numbers are nothing short of atrocious.