User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Want a straight truck or day cab.

a bit of history: entered active duty AF in 1981, 11yrs, 02 days, honorable discharge after Desert Storm. Drove 5 ton-10 ton semi-tractors, 25'-40' trailers usually laden with explosives over various surfaces. AF and ARMY Reserves, 1993-1997. More semi driving. ANG 1997-2013. Driving semi's but not as much. tried Stevens Transport OTR. Trainer was kind of a ****. Put me on ice in midland, Texas (quite nerve wracking). Saw trucks on their sides and other trucks with tires on top. Highway warning signs that advised "travel discouraged". He told me it was time "to man up". and consistently broke various policies set forth by the company. He was instructed by his DM to shut it down for driving extended/over hours. February 2014, underwent surgery for fragmented disc. Doctor cleared after 11 months. Discovered, that I can't go bouncing down the road for 4, 5, or 6 hrs. and then sleep in a bunk. Wake up and do it again. Policy stated that I had to be awake while he operated and then I pulled my duty behind the wheel. I started in Dec 2014 and lasted to Jan 2015. My back problems are from the military and I'm covered under the V.A. Are there any decent straight truck or day cab driving jobs that limit the hrs. spent on the road? I think I can handle a couple of hours, with some labor involved. Extensive background in HAZMAT, explosives and forklift operations. I have all the endorsements, awaiting my background check for the "x" endorsement. Is it possible to be paid hourly and not by the miles? My drug screens are always negative, I don't need alcohol. I do, do the electronic cigarette. My last year for that. Borderline COPD. I respect the OTR drivers out there. The east side of the US bites. I'm originally from Ohio, the cold is actually better than the heat (IMO) that we have here in Tucson. California is scary, I would rather be driving an APC.

Last edited by AMMO2W071; 02-08-2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: wanted to clear things up a bit
Old 02-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Board Regular

Try your Sysco, apperts, us food type places. Or get into ready mix or dirt hauling.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Rookie

Thanks! Have applied to CalPortland, Cemex, AirGas, Matheson and ABF.