User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default American PIRACY

I put this in the "new drivers" area because most of us that have spent years on the road have some knowledge of areas like St Augustine, FL. But, the new folks may not have been told anything about this

I've known a few areas of the country that I wanted to watch my truck and my load very carefully. Make sure my truck and load is secured to the best of my ability to do so while I ate or took a shower. I was very fortunate that I was never a victim. But, over the years, I've known a number of other drivers that had their loads and equpement stolen. I also remember seeing very little in the news media about this, so this (to me) is a bit unusual. At the same time, a very good warning to everyone still driving. All the years I drove, I never realized it was this extensive.

Pirates on the highways: Cargo theft costing nation billions - U.S. News

Quote:
“It really is huge,” said California Highway Patrol officer Xavier Spencer. “We estimate nationwide that it’s a $35 billion loss annually just in cargo theft and obviously that only involves the cargo theft that we’re made aware of. A lot of these thefts are not reported.”
Considering all the other excuses companies have to come down on their drivers, I'm sure having a load stolen does not make a company happy with a driver. I always assumed that thefts of this type were reported. Seems I was wrong. One company I pulled for sent a message on the qualcomm that one of their trailers came up missing, and there was a $10,000 reward for any driver that located it. The cargo was perishable, so for the first day or two, it was $10K, the next day it was only $5K, the day after that it was $3K. Quite a number of times, I've seen where the seasoned drivers are telling the new drivers to "KNOW WHERE YOU ARE PARKING". This is one excellent reason why. When my wife and I were carrying a high-dollar load, we often ate and showered in shifts. It meant we were at the truck stop twice as long, but the load was NEVER un-attended. We never lost a Harley Davidson. It's possible to do that when there are two of you, but if you're running solo, you're on your own. You can take all the precautions you want, but if the thieves are determined, it may not stop them. I've heard of them cutting down a tree so they could open the back doors. And, when the trailer was backed up to a building, they cut a hole in the side, at the rear, so they could unload computers.

I was a bit dissapointed that the article lists the states where the most theft happens, but not the areas of each of those states. Not all areas of any state are prone to these thefts, so it might be a good idea to gather data and see where a driver needs to be far more aware than others. I knew a few of them, but certainly not all of them. So, if anyone would like to add locations they know of, feel free. Might be something all of you could benefit from.