User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010, 09:33 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default TDI - Truck Driver Institute

Does anyone have any information on this company? I've been contacted by one of their recruiters in Sanford, Florida, and it sounds too good to be true - 15 days, I will graduate with 156 hours, but I will only have to pay $150? My husband says I must have heard him wrong, that he must have said $1,500 (which is still cheap). But I could have sworn he said $150. When I asked what was the catch he said that they have a 'unique training program'. Afterwards I contacted a couple of companies I had contacted before and asked if they had heard of the school (yes) and if I would be hirable if I graduated from there (yes). All the other schools I contacted today want anywhere between $4,00 and $6,000.

Their website is Truck Driving School - TDI, CDI, Truck Driver Training, CDL License, Vocational Rehabilitation Program
Old 12-28-2010, 11:21 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryrhubarbpie View Post
Does anyone have any information on this company? I've been contacted by one of their recruiters in Sanford, Florida, and it sounds too good to be true - 15 days, I will graduate with 156 hours, but I will only have to pay $150? My husband says I must have heard him wrong, that he must have said $1,500 (which is still cheap). But I could have sworn he said $150. When I asked what was the catch he said that they have a 'unique training program'. Afterwards I contacted a couple of companies I had contacted before and asked if they had heard of the school (yes) and if I would be hirable if I graduated from there (yes). All the other schools I contacted today want anywhere between $4,00 and $6,000.

Their website is Truck Driving School - TDI, CDI, Truck Driver Training, CDL License, Vocational Rehabilitation Program
You must have misunderstood what he was telling you OR they have changed their pricing plan since 2004 when I looked into them. Back in 2004 TDI in Sanford Florida quoted me a cost of $5200 which I could easily finance at something like 18%.... Roadmaster in Orlando quoted me $5200 with the same finance option but they one upped TDI and offered a 90 day same as cash deal...:moon: Then I looked at National training truck driving school in Orange Park Fl just outside of Jacksonville thier cost was $3500 and a finance plan was available as well, all of these schools offered a 3 week training program and touted you would be hired right out of school.. However is 3 weeks enough time to be completley comfortable with driving an 80,000 lb rig let alone backing it up???
If you are in the Orlando area and have some time available I suggest you look into Mid Florida Tech located on John Young Parkway and Oakridge road in Orlando. This is the program I settled on at a cost of $1800 back in 2004 now it is probaly around $2200 or so.. However the program they offer far outweighs any other program around for way less then half the cost and more time behind the wheel. It is an 8 week program, But I assure you when you leave you will be able to back any tractor up in any tight space you come across, you will also be comfortable driving a big rig...
This is my two cents on the subject if you would like any more info just let me know and I will try to help you out.. Dont skimp on your training if you can take the extra five weeks to learn as much as possible, you get what you pay for and then some at Mid Florida tech, I deliver fuel to Mid Florida tech, about two months ago I stopped by to say hi to one of my old instructors there and to show him where I was working, it had been about 4 years since he had seen me and the man still remembered my name.. In my book that tells me they are invested in helping you to do well...

Timberwolf

Last edited by Kentla93; 12-28-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:33 AM
Rookie

Hello all i have some input on this because i am currently enrolled in south bend Indiana TDI/CDI school and i have to say i was skeptic at first to i went in and talked to the recruiter and what the deal is local companies or even your bigger names Swift Werner etc are doing what is called tuition reimbursement basically the school gives me the basics and gets me to pass the CDL class A and that compainy hires me and then brings me on as a training student puts me through there paid orientation and has someone ride with you for 4-6 weeks
Old 12-29-2010, 02:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Just as BIGBEAR said, most companies will hire you before completeing the schooling and pay for it (tho you have to usually at least stay with them for 1yr for them to reimburse it) but i think is the BEST THING FOR YOU !!!!!!!!!!!! This is what i was talking about in the other posts. Most of the companies you cointacted will PRE-HIRE you as long as you complete the course. I taught at the South Bend, IN CDI back in 2004 while I was laid off in the winter and it's a very good course. You will get the basics and some real road time. I'd say to just clarify the amount you have to pay up-front. In South Bend, it was $3,500 or if you were hired by a company BEFORE signing up, the company paid for it. We mainly trained for TMC and Star Transport in Moline, IL
Old 12-29-2010, 09:50 AM

Thanks guys, I don't have time to fully respond right now, we are heading out the door to Miami to look for a pitman arm for our dump truck, so I'll give a better response later... yes I have looked into Mid Florida Tech in Orlando, but their offices are closed right now for the holidays so I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone there yet!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
Just as BIGBEAR said, most companies will hire you before completing the schooling and pay for it (tho you have to usually at least stay with them for 1yr for them to reimburse it) but i think is the BEST THING FOR YOU !!!!!!!!!!!! This is what i was talking about in the other posts. Most of the companies you cointacted will PRE-HIRE you as long as you complete the course. I taught at the South Bend, IN CDI back in 2004 while I was laid off in the winter and it's a very good course. You will get the basics and some real road time. I'd say to just clarify the amount you have to pay up-front. In South Bend, it was $3,500 or if you were hired by a company BEFORE signing up, the company paid for it. We mainly trained for TMC and Star Transport in Moline, IL
agree completely i am currently doing the student loan part and they now are doing the trucking company reimbursement i am paying 150 100 for DOT physical and 16 for permit and 34 for cdl license once course is complete this is my 3rd day and i got 5 pre-hires also no company that is through the school is aloud to ask you to sign a contract for any period of time but if you leave before it is paid off the rest falls on you within the first 75 days of leaving
Old 12-30-2010, 12:22 AM

Thanks everyone, I contacted a few companies and everyone I called said they know of the school and do hire drivers out of there. I also talked with the recruiter again and I have a better idea of why it's only $150 per person. After I complete the application they give me a list of companies ready to pre-hire me (and yes, hire my husband and I out of where we currently live, Southwest Florida), and they pay for it or else they pay me back over a period of time, some have hiring bonuses and also tuition reimbursesment. At least I know that the school is legit, that's what I was most worried about.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryrhubarbpie View Post
Thanks everyone, I contacted a few companies and everyone I called said they know of the school and do hire drivers out of there. I also talked with the recruiter again and I have a better idea of why it's only $150 per person. After I complete the application they give me a list of companies ready to pre-hire me (and yes, hire my husband and I out of where we currently live, Southwest Florida), and they pay for it or else they pay me back over a period of time, some have hiring bonuses and also tuition reimbursesment. At least I know that the school is legit, that's what I was most worried about.
Yes, CDI is a nationwide training school, and accredited by the ATA....... and thats awesome they will hire you in FL. Seeing you are a TEAM operation makes it much more interesting to them too!!