User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Company research tool (safestat)

http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafeStat/SafeStatMain.asp?link=

This may be posted here somewhere but here it is again. This tells the story of the companies you want to know about. The main two reports are driver safety and equipment safety. The lower the score the better. A score of 100 is the worst you can get on this list. You can see the inspections and violations so just find your company and look around.

My previous company was a 85 on equipment and a 99 on drivers. I have never had a ticket or any other violation ever (car or truck). It was a company of only 4 trucks and 1 current driver and 2 old drivers created the high scores but I suffered. I got inspected or at least pulled around behind every scale in the country. I was treated like a criminal and talked to like a child many times by the DOT.

Most, well all companies have quirks and not everyone will make it and/or be happy. That being said take these post with a grain of salt because most people here complaining are probally at fault. Think about this. There are thousands of drivers and hundreds maybe thousands of companies as well. There are only a few hundred people here and on other boards whinning and crying. That means there are alot of people happy and making a living. Read these post and use the above site to find the real story. Not trying to make anyone here mad but that is just my opinion. Goodluck :thumbsup:
Old 05-20-2009, 01:37 PM
Rookie

http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SafeStat/Car...t=a2&PageNum=1

Here is the link to the list page of companies if you have trouble with the search page. I stated above there are probally thousands of companies. Well on the list page at the bootom it says 1,108,929 records found. And I can't find a company to pull for. issedoff:
Old 05-21-2009, 01:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am glad to see you post about safestat, bigrigjoe66. I don't think most drivers understand how much their behavior can impact their carrier or their career. Any time a driver is shut down or ticketed or fails an inspection it can impact their carrier's safestat score. The smaller the carrier the more your behavior can affect the score since infractions are calculated on the total number of units compared to the total number of infractions. As you stated the higher your safestat score the greater the likelihood that you will be inspected or checked. A carrier's safestat score also affects their insurance premiums. The more a carrier pays for operating costs the less they have to pay drivers and the less competitive they will be. If your carrier is taking more time with safety issues then they are probably attempting to reduce their safestat score or keep it from going any higher.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Safestat should be one of the first places anyone looking to get into a company should check out. Espially the smaller companies, if they have a high driver safety and high equipment safety scores, chances are they are a very bad choice! BUT for those with not so perfect histories, it can also be a tool to find a company that is willing to hire black sheep... but it will be a rough road if you do it that way :P

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 05-21-2009, 02:16 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I disagree to some extent on your assumptions, matcat. Just one or two events can greatly impact a small carrier whereas it may take many similar events to have any impact on a large carrier. The safestat score can be an indicator, but I would not base my entire opinion on this single factor. I think most smaller carriers strive to keep their equipment up. The driver aspect of the safestat will likely tell you more about the quality of the drivers who work for that particular carrier.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Board Regular

My dad has a poor safestat score. It is 96 vhsea and a 74 for drsea, vhsea is vehicle safety evaluation area and drsea is driver safety evaluation area. He's had 5 vehicle inspections and was tagged on three with out of service and 8 driver inspections with one as out of service. No crashes or anything. Unless he goes in and asks for inspections on a regular basis his numbers will not come down. To my knowledege this ahs not affected his insurance carrier or rates. It does get you on the ISS-D list which they say makes inspectors overly cautious and they inspect with a fine tooth comb and more often. His ISS-D score is a 83, inspection warranted.

Last edited by charged; 09-18-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Senior Board Member

That's 60% OOS for vehicle. Someone needs to take better care of the equipment. SEA scores are being phased out and replaced with SMS methodology. At least that will put the trucks that have avoided inspections near the top of the list.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

One thing I have noticed in checking several safe stat scores with people whom I know. Several of them have gone up considerably even though there have been no violations or OOS on either equipment or drivers. The reason is insufficient data. In talking with the feds in Washington, those scores went up due to a lack of inspections rather than anything the carriers did or failed to do. A couple of them went from 10 to 93 or 94 for no other reason than no inspections. I think that they raised those scores to encourage the dot to bring in those carriers to inspect them. There seems to be a push to inspect everything with 18 wheels, no matter what your previous safety score. One went up in the 90's and recently dropped back down in the 40's. Nothing changed. There were no inspections or violations of any type during that time.

I think you will find as many or more of the larger carriers with high scores than smaller carriers. I checked several of them over the last several months. I was rather surprised at some of them. That is one reason many of them are canceling owner operator contracts and terminating drivers who have too many moving violations or problems passing inspections. Safe Stat is supposed to be replaced with the new CSA program as it comes into effect.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Carriers are being assigned to a peer group. 1-5,6-14 ect. Number of inspections,OOS inspections,bad inspections(write ups that are not OOS) ect. are assigned to that group.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
Carriers are being assigned to a peer group. 1-5,6-14 ect. Number of inspections,OOS inspections,bad inspections(write ups that are not OOS) ect. are assigned to that group.
I have heard about the peer groups. I don't know when they will be ready to implement that part of the program. It is more equitable than throwing small carriers in with major ones.