User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Looking for advice on fuel tanker work in Southern California.

I知 trying to make a career change and get into fuel hauling or compressed gases requiring HAZMAT. My goal is to make a decent living with a stable pay check and good benefits. I知 not trying or expecting to get rich, I just need a stable paycheck again. I need to be able to support my family.

Here is my info. I am 31 years old and have had a class a drivers license for 11 years. I have a wife and and two kids under 5 and one more on the way. I have never had an accident, never a DUI, but had some minor tickets in the past but currently have no points on my record. All of my driving experience has been local, driving 10 wheel dump trucks with tag equipment trailers performing demolition and excavation work.

I have only had about 5 months of work in the last 14 months and I can稚 take it anymore. I am done with construction.

I went two weeks ago to the dmv and took tests to add HAZMAT, tanker, and doubles endorsements to my license. I passed the tests and went and got fingerprinted for the TSA the next day. I知 sure I will pass my background inspection just fine.

Questions:
1. Can anyone refer me to a good company that is hiring that will be willing to train me?

2. Are there any companies to avoid?

3. Can you offer any other valuable information or advice for me?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 PM

Eric,
Try these companies:
Pacific tank lines
KAG-kenan advantage group
Vista tank lines
DanDee transportation
white petro
Golden Bear
Williams tank lines
evans tank lines
superior tank lines

Peak season is just around the corner so some companies are hiring. You can expect to make 55-75k depending on the company and amount of hours worked. Most companies give a 3 week training period before turning you solo. We had a guy jump to another company with 15 years fuel experiance and he still went through thier training. Most of the yards are around the tank farm in Colton ( I-10 and Riverside Ave.) Night shift would be good for you commuting from Lake Elsinor, not great for a family man but work is work!!!

I think all the companies have thier pros and cons so just getting your foot in the door is step one, get experiance, then jump if needed. Most guys I talk to have worked for several companies.

With the recent economic downturn, most companies have a mountain of apps, so your best bet is to get a face to face interview and sell yourself. It make take finding a companies yard and knocking on the door to get noticed. Better I think then filling out an online app.

You can give me a call 951-692-2767 as I might have an inside line on a company that may be putting 2 trucks in south Riverside. That would help your commute time.

Best of luck,
Fuelman
Old 03-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Senior Board Member

If you do hook up with a petroleum hauler pay very close attention to what you are doing not like this guy in Raleigh NC

Gas station fuel mix-up to blame for damaged vehicles :: WRAL.com

Makes for a very expensive clean up!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 05:15 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the info Fuelman. I will be giving you a call.

Tags
hazmat tanker california