User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 01:24 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Jeopardy, anyone?

Category: FUNNY STATE HACKS

Contestant: State hacks for a hundred, Alex . .

Alex: "To get to the other side."

Pike County Courier - Truck stop - Straus Newspapers
Old 01-30-2010, 02:24 AM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post
Category: FUNNY STATE HACKS

Contestant: State hacks for a hundred, Alex . .

Alex: "To get to the other side."

Pike County Courier - Truck stop - Straus Newspapers
What is moron trucker who is to dumb to read a map?

Now a few "things" wrong with the story:
Quote:
40-foot-long box trailer
40' trailer? Really? Looks to be at least a 48'. Reporter might want to get a new tape measure.

Quote:
estimated at an empty weight of up to 23 tons
46,000 LBS EMPTY? Must be one heavy tractor.

And now for the driver:
Quote:
Luna told police he didn’t see the weight limit sign
Driver might want to get eye sight checked. May need glasses. Or driver might want to invest in "Hooked on Phonics".

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 01-30-2010, 04:16 AM
Board Icon

Yeah, there is something wrong with that picture. It's one thing for a driver to have a foopah, but for someone to say that a Tare weight is 40 some-odd thousand lbs is another. I think both, the driver and reporter needs to get some sleep.
It all doesn't quite add up. :lol:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 01-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Board Icon

I'm confused by the pic, the article said he crossed the bridge that was only rated for 7 tons but by the pic it looks like he stopped before he got to it and then tried to turn around................Also, if the bridge was rated for 7 tons and 106 years old then how did it not collapse if he was say only 30K lbs instead of 46K? He was still double the limit.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Not to mention, Ford, that i'm sure this isn't the first time the creek/river has risen that high before. I would imagine that its supports had been made more weak from flowing water of the past 100 years.

My guess is that he had already crossed the bridge, and the bridge in question was behind the camera to the right out of frame.

another reason not to fully trust GPS, and why i carry a map. Drivers who get on the radio asking, "how do i get on 88 from 94", then get 2-3 drivers giving 2-3 different routes, i'll always get on and say, "first thing you do is forget all that. what you need to do is turn left, open your driver door, walk about 100 yards to the truck stop and buy a map". I never have liked the idea of not doing for myself and relying on someone else
Old 01-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Senior Board Member

they probably took a picture after the tow trucks did there deed...

i use to run wit these guys alot up north with in the past four months.. something tells me this might of been one of those guys who has those 379/389 EXHD 70 petes pulling for them.. seriously i seen some of those supermarkets and i bet its a pain in the ass to get in some of those places wit those trucks!!

But nothing is like missing a turn and finding a place to turn around hoping and praying you dont see a yellow sign under 13'6 or no trucks!!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr View Post
they probably took a picture after the tow trucks did there deed...

i use to run wit these guys alot up north with in the past four months.. something tells me this might of been one of those guys who has those 379/389 EXHD 70 petes pulling for them.. seriously i seen some of those supermarkets and i bet its a pain in the ass to get in some of those places wit those trucks!!

But nothing is like missing a turn and finding a place to turn around hoping and praying you dont see a yellow sign under 13'6 or no trucks!!
I've been in some of those WAKEFERN locations. Not only the locations, but the routes to get to them. I also know that WAKEFERN has a book of instructions for their drivers to follow to get to each store. There are quite a number of them that have only one way in, and one way out. Stores like the one in Hillside are not that bad to get in behind the store, but getting out can be a 45 minutes pain just to get back out on the street.

Considering he was following GPS instead of the instructions in the book says he was trying to find a "different better route" and didn't find it. Believe me, I did a lot of talking to receivers on the phone to make sure I had the exact instructions completely clear. Those locations are one of the things that gave me the most serious NUDGE to retire. Now, on my way to go fishing, I don't have to try to wheel 18 wheels through those streets, or back into any of those docks.

As to the GPS, I did use that too. But, I set up the route on my GPS so that it would follow the instructions exactly. Then, I would not miss a turn because there is no street sign at the intersection. Delivering to WAKEFERN stores is most definitely not a job for a rookie.

Yes, I do recognize the logo on that trailer.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:44 PM

But . . . but, Alex, he did get to the other side. I think the pic of the 46,000 pound empty rig (WTH?) was taken after he got to the other side and during mop-up operations, or maybe even after they pulled him back across the state line. But, yeah, it looks a bit odd.

Several people using GPS have tried to get to our house on what is really a dirt track that ends at a creek,
but GPS shows it as a through road. They call me. They're only about a quarter mile from the house. They have to back up for a quarter mile, turn around, drive half a mile to a highway, drive on the highway for a mile, then come back two more miles on real roads.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
I've been in some of those WAKEFERN locations. Not only the locations, but the routes to get to them. I also know that WAKEFERN has a book of instructions for their drivers to follow to get to each store. There are quite a number of them that have only one way in, and one way out. Stores like the one in Hillside are not that bad to get in behind the store, but getting out can be a 45 minutes pain just to get back out on the street.

Considering he was following GPS instead of the instructions in the book says he was trying to find a "different better route" and didn't find it. Believe me, I did a lot of talking to receivers on the phone to make sure I had the exact instructions completely clear. Those locations are one of the things that gave me the most serious NUDGE to retire. Now, on my way to go fishing, I don't have to try to wheel 18 wheels through those streets, or back into any of those docks.

As to the GPS, I did use that too. But, I set up the route on my GPS so that it would follow the instructions exactly. Then, I would not miss a turn because there is no street sign at the intersection. Delivering to WAKEFERN stores is most definitely not a job for a rookie.

Yes, I do recognize the logo on that trailer.
where do you fish? I grew up in Largo and spent many many hours fishing off of Bellaire bridge
Old 01-31-2010, 02:47 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
where do you fish? I grew up in Largo and spent many many hours fishing off of Bellaire bridge
They've got a couple of fishing piers at Anclote Park, and the bridge just south of B21 (2nd light south of 19 and alt-19) on US-19 is good fishing. Just go under the bridge and start fishing. Also, Duneden Causeway has good fishing. Considering I live in Holiday, that's close by.