User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Videos Directed at New Drivers

Here are three videos I created to document my transition into the trucking world. My goal was to present information to those considering beginning a new career in trucking without redoing the same old theme. I wanted to show what it was really like. The third video was finally more on track when my career as a trucker came to an abrupt end. I hope these are valuable to those who watch. Please feel free to subscribe on YouTube and leave comments here or there.

I have little experience as a driver but, I will answer what questions new drivers have to the best of my ability. Be prepared, my viewpoint is different because I am an experienced manager and leader. If you sound like you are whining, I will say so.

Mark

You can also see these by searching LostsoulCA on YouTube.com

Volume 1
YouTube - On the Road - Vol 1 - Lost Soul

Volume 2
YouTube - On the Road - Vol 2 - 18 states in 12 days

Volume 3
YouTube - On the Road - Vol 3 - Comin Home.wmv

Last edited by LostSoul; 12-01-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:35 PM

So far... I've only watched the first video. Very good job for having no experience. And the video taken from an iPhone too? Amazing. My only complaint: No scantily clad biker chicks. What's wrong with you man? You're going to tarnish the "Trucker Mystique".

Seriously, Very nice job.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:30 PM

Mark,
I must say this is one of the best post i have read in quite some time. Thank you.
As an Executive Chef I always said the fish stinks from the had first, as a driver I still feel the same way.
which is the exact reson why I have always driven local and will never go otr it is a hard life for a family man....I could'nt nor would'nt do it..
Off the topic did you're niece have a shop at Heritage Sqaure in Golden at one time, as my wife and I bought our wedding cake top from a small glass shop in Heritage Sqaure, and I can remember it was a lady who made it for us as we waited. We were both raised in Colorado, My wife in Littleton just off Platte River and myself in Evergreen so it was nice to see her work made me a little home sick.
Next once you are finished cleaning your pool my can use a good brushing and vacum as well you seemed to be fairly adept at it so if you like you can take over my pool duties.... speaking of which are now a week past due..

In closing are you staying on with the company, or are you going to look for local work, or back to the office rat race???

Thanks agin keep them coming...

Timberwolf
Old 12-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzon View Post
So far... I've only watched the first video. Very good job for having no experience. And the video taken from an iPhone too? Amazing. My only complaint: No scantily clad biker chicks. What's wrong with you man? You're going to tarnish the "Trucker Mystique".

Seriously, Very nice job.
Thanks for the comments. The iPhone is a pretty amazing little box. It took my wife over a year to transition me from a "just Phone" to something with stuff on it. Now I can't live without all the goodies. This thing has all my music, my GPS, my calendar, my contacts, my email AND pictures of scantily clad chicks!

You may have noticed in the video... in the case of this bike show many of the scantilly clad biker chicks had gone to cash their social security checks. The point I failed to communicate well was, even though alot of these people were advanced in age, they all maintained their youth. They were only as old as they felt.

Last edited by LostSoul; 12-03-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberWolf View Post
Mark,
I must say this is one of the best post i have read in quite some time. Thank you.
As an Executive Chef I always said the fish stinks from the had first, as a driver I still feel the same way.
I agree 110%. I know the rank and file complain too much and many times without regard or knowledge for the bigger picture. But, it is the responsibility of leadership to communicate the mission and keep them in the loop.

Quote:
Off the topic did you're niece have a shop at Heritage Sqaure in Golden at one time, as my wife and I bought our wedding cake top from a small glass shop in Heritage Sqaure, and I can remember it was a lady who made it for us as we waited. We were both raised in Colorado, My wife in Littleton just off Platte River and myself in Evergreen so it was nice to see her work made me a little home sick..
No, she has always maintained her studio away from main street. For many years she rented space to other artists and taught glass blowing classes. She has scaled that back now so she can concentrate on her own work.

We are a Colorado born and bred family as well. I grew up in (mumbling) Commerce City. Actually, when we moved there it was Adams City and Derby and hadn't decayed to the pathetic point it is today.

Quote:
Next once you are finished cleaning your pool my can use a good brushing and vacum as well you seemed to be fairly adept at it so if you like you can take over my pool duties.... speaking of which are now a week past due...
And if you are waiting for me it will get a lot further past due! In the words of Charles Emerson Winchester(MASH) "I clean one pool, I do it very well, and then I use it". OK, that wasn't an exact quote but you get the idea.

Quote:
In closing are you staying on with the company, or are you going to look for local work, or back to the office rat race???...

No, I have decided I belong in the rat race. I might even consider local driving but, my lack of experience will probably prevent that. Too bad because I believe I could help improve overall efficiency for small companies without the cost of a consultant.

FYI, I was with Werner. I believe Werner has a good training program. The only weak spot is their inability to qualify trainers. A trainer needs to be a quality individual capable of managing all aspects of the job. To be a trainer for Werner (and probably the rest as well) all you have to do is raise your hand. I witnessed several trainers who were borrowing money from their trainees to pay for scales, tolls, headlights, etc because they were unable to manage themselves, much less a training program. I personally know of two trainees who managed their trainers time because the trainer couldn't. This is too bad since the format of the training program is sound. That being said, I recommend Werner to any new driver who wants to break into the industry.

I had the opportunity to have lengthy and frank conversations with a couple of terminal managers and saftey managers. My experience, education, and business discourse (and the fact that I have all my teeth) made this possible. I found these individuals to be well versed in their positions and interested in the drivers. They used common sense in their decisions. Therefore, all the leadership isn't bad. There are pockets of necessary improvement in the faster paced positions such as operations. The only area I experienced that is a bigger roadblock to a drivers productivity is maintenance. The only thing dumber than a dispatcher is a self involved mechanic. Low level mechanics and low level IT people are exactly the same except one has grease under his nails and the other can be stupid incognito.

I'm glad I could share my experiences with the masses. I don't think there is enough information out there that talks to the needs of a newbie as they consider this as a career path. I could go on making videos if there was a way to make a living. By number three I was beginning to get the format down and focusing on the trucking content.

Concerning the job, the one thing that got to me more than anything else was that I didn't feel a sense of accomplishment or contribution. I enjoy driving, I like backing up better, but I never felt like I finished anything. Drop a trailer and off to the next one. I need to be able to see that what I have done has contributed to someones success or improved performance.

I'm going to stop typing now.

Last edited by LostSoul; 12-03-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Visalia is a nice town,
I spent two weeks there as a corporate chef working the Raddison at the convention center back in the mid 90's for my company while they did a menu change in the restaurant. I even got to meet a few long lost relatives of my father, old portuguese imagrants that migrated there to work the dairy farms.

I went right from school to local work so it can be done, as I tell everyone all you need to do is sell your abilities and your attitude to work hard, it can be done and it is so much better on the home life then OTR...

Good luck.

Timberwolf
Old 12-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Visalia is a nice town,
I spent two weeks there as a corporate chef working the Raddison at the convention center back in the mid 90's for my company while they did a menu change in the restaurant. I even got to meet a few long lost relatives of my father, old portuguese imagrants that migrated there to work the dairy farms.

I went right from school to local work so it can be done, as I tell everyone all you need to do is sell your abilities and your attitude to work hard, it can be done and it is so much better on the home life then OTR...

Good luck.

Timberwolf
I like Visalia. We spent three years in the Azores where we learned about the Portuguese in their native land. Linguica, Sao Jorge Cheese, Alcatra, and vin. Ah yes, fond memories. Our house was about 100 meters above sea level and the front was all glass with a great view of the ocean. There are tons of Portuguese here who have never been to the Azores. It is always fun to tell them what they are missing.

I was looking at some jobs last night and found a couple that stated recent grads. One was an end dump that would pay the bills. If these other opportunities don't pan out I will look more seriously at a driving job. I am actually putting more effort into finding a job paying closer to what I was making before the big layoff. My goal is to retire in five or so years. I need some positive revenue flow for that to happen. The instructors at my school are very supportive and will help with references to local companies. There are some options. I love the smell of diesel in the morning. I think I'll go visit the school today.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:00 PM

My grandmother brought my father and his brother's to Beautiful Lowell, Ma back in 1927 when he was two years old from the island of Terceira, part of her family stayed in the Lowell area and the rest went to California. Shortly after our mother passed in 2006 our father took myself and my 3 brothers to Terceira and gave us the tour of where his mother grew up, you are so right about the beauty of the Islands. that was a great trip.

My grandmother's youngest brother died in Visalia a few years back, if I remember correctly he was a victim of a hit and run driver as he was walking. This man had a hard life as he worked the farms. He raised two children as his wife died young, one child was killed in an auto accident and the other liked to sail and one day took his wife and kids out on the ocean and they never heard from them again, all the while this gentleman kept moving forward in life only to have it taken from him in such a screwed up way.

Good luck in your search.

Timberwolf
Old 12-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
My grandmother brought my father and his brother's to Beautiful Lowell, Ma back in 1927 when he was two years old from the island of Terceira, part of her family stayed in the Lowell area and the rest went to California.
Timberwolf
We lived on Terciera for three years. It was wonderful. We lived on Santa Rita Hill, just outside the base. I would love to go back although it has changed significantly since we were there.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:55 AM
Rookie

I thought you did an excellent job with your videos. You seem like a very decent person as well!

Joe

Tags
iphone, newbie