User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Can anyone please help me.

I have 17 months of OTR and I have not driven over the road for 10 months due to a rear-end accident i had last year in november. I am having alot of trouble getting back on the road from OTR companies and even local companies. The accident was not a major with no damage,injuries,or life threating, and I was not cited for it. Can someone pls tell me what i need to do or steps i need to take. Also the other bad thing is that i live in orlando fl.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Senior Board Member

You have not driven for 10 months?? Have you driven any CMV during that time?

If there were no injuries why did you not drive OTR? Was the accident in a CMV or a POV?

A few more details would help.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Senior Board Member

here is the big one, is it DOT reportable? I had the same problem, finally I'm back on the road but my last day on the road was oct. 31st and finally back. it took me close to 9 mos to get back on the road. I finally got hired with a plant farm, not even a trucking company. I might not be extreamly happy with where i am but very happy that I'm finally back behind the wheel. Keep looking. Many companies will shy away from dot reportables unless they are over 3 yrs old. It took me going to a non trucking company that has truck drivers to get a job.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:00 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock View Post
here is the big one, is it DOT reportable? I had the same problem, finally I'm back on the road but my last day on the road was oct. 31st and finally back. it took me close to 9 mos to get back on the road. I finally got hired with a plant farm, not even a trucking company. I might not be extreamly happy with where i am but very happy that I'm finally back behind the wheel. Keep looking. Many companies will shy away from dot reportables unless they are over 3 yrs old. It took me going to a non trucking company that has truck drivers to get a job.
Whats a DOT reportable accident? I tought that all accidents are treated the same and going on to one driving record, regardless of what you were driving..
Old 09-23-2009, 04:21 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejanh View Post
Whats a DOT reportable accident? I tought that all accidents are treated the same and going on to one driving record, regardless of what you were driving..
§390.5 Definitions.
Unless specifically defined elsewhere, in this subchapter:

Accident means—

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this definition, an occurrence involving a commercial motor vehicle operating on a highway in interstate or intrastate commerce which results in:

(i) A fatality;

(ii) Bodily injury to a person who, as a result of the injury, immediately receives medical treatment away from the scene of the accident; or

(iii) One or more motor vehicles incurring disabling damage as a result of the accident, requiring the motor vehicle(s) to be transported away from the scene by a tow truck or other motor vehicle.

(2) The term accident does not include:

(i) An occurrence involving only boarding and alighting from a stationary motor vehicle; or

(ii) An occurrence involving only the loading or unloading of cargo.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Rookie

the accident was in a cmv.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:44 AM
Rookie

The funny thing is it is on my dac but not on my MVR report.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcone View Post
The funny thing is it is on my dac but not on my MVR report.
Depending on the state, an accident may or may not be listed on an MVR. If it was INVESTIGATED and a LONG FORM REPORT was filed, it likely would (at least in Florida) - even if you were NOT CITED.

Your EMPLOYER reports things to DAC - so OBVIOUSLY if you were terminated for an accident - it WOULD show up THERE.

Rear-enders are caused by: following too close - SPEEDING - not paying attention - or a combination of all three. These are driving habits that most companies are NOT SEEKING in drivers.

You will likely have to wait for 3 years (the time most companies want to see no accidents) - and end up doing a REFRESHER COURSE. Right now there are so many experienced and recent school grads with TOTALLY CLEAN RECORDS looking for work, that companies CAN (and WILL) take a pass on folks with less than spotless records.

There ARE companies you can get a hire from out of Orlando - hell, I even found a couple that would hire me out of Fort Lauderdale - but likely NOT with a recent PREVENTABLE REAR-ENDER accident in a CMV.

Rick