User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Pennsylvania, Out of State Ticket

Okay. At the end of March, I got a ticket in Emporia, VA for 85/65 (misdemeanor). The amended charge was improper control/driving (infraction) and the ticket was paid. PA doesn't report out of state tickets on the PA driving record except for CDL drivers, though PennDOT does receive the reports of infractions from other states. So, leads me to a few questions... 1. If it's not reported now, if I switch to a CDL, could they decide to start reporting it then? 2. If it doesn't show on my driving record, would companies check anything further? 3. How should I go about reporting it, or if it's not on the record, should I not bother?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRebelGuardnU View Post
Okay. At the end of March, I got a ticket in Emporia, VA for 85/65 (misdemeanor). The amended charge was improper control/driving (infraction) and the ticket was paid. PA doesn't report out of state tickets on the PA driving record except for CDL drivers, though PennDOT does receive the reports of infractions from other states. So, leads me to a few questions... 1. If it's not reported now, if I switch to a CDL, could they decide to start reporting it then? 2. If it doesn't show on my driving record, would companies check anything further? 3. How should I go about reporting it, or if it's not on the record, should I not bother?
you go to your dmv and get a copy of your mvr .this is what future employers will see, if it's not on there, they wont know about it.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Board Regular

BUT - if it was a MISDEMEANOR - it may show up on a CRIMINAL SEARCH...

I suggest you go to DAC's (now known as HireRight) website and order a FREE REPORT from them - which you are ENTITLED TO under the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act). Then YOU will see what they WILL see. This of course, in addition to getting a copy of your PA MVR.

Chances are, if you didn't get the citation on a CDL, then it won't show on your PA MVR (if that's how they do it there)...

Rick
Old 08-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
BUT - if it was a MISDEMEANOR - it may show up on a CRIMINAL SEARCH...

I suggest you go to DAC's (now known as HireRight) website and order a FREE REPORT from them - which you are ENTITLED TO under the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act). Then YOU will see what they WILL see. This of course, in addition to getting a copy of your PA MVR.

Chances are, if you didn't get the citation on a CDL, then it won't show on your PA MVR (if that's how they do it there)...

Rick
Original charge was a misdemeanor, but it was reduced to infraction so no misdemeanor to report. I'm thinking that since VA would have reported it to PA in May, then PennDOT would have looked, saw the non-CDL license, and ignored it. And I pulled my MVR last week and it was clean. Just wondering if it will still be that way once I upgrade to a CDL. I expect that it would, but I've been blindsided in the past few weeks with things that I thought were guaranteed not being so.

Last edited by USMCRebelGuardnU; 08-06-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:28 AM

I'd be careful. The info may have been passed to PA, and atributed to your licence number, but is currently "unseen" as you have no CDL.

Upgrading may remove the cloak of darkness. You need to talk to a good DOT employee who knows their stuff as to whether it is lurking and whether it will appear after you get a CDL. That good employee rarely if ever is found working at a counter directly with the public, they work at head office somewhere, or in the carrier enforcement section.

Ontario, Canada
Old 08-07-2009, 06:59 AM
Rookie

After reviewing the regulations, I would say that this would depend on exactly how VA's Improper Driving is reported. It may be one strike as a serious violation since the original charge was 85/65, or since it was amended to Improper Driving, it may technically not have any effect other than showing a carrier that I did have a ticket from VA reduced. An issue for hiring, but also not in a commercial vehicle nor on a CDL. I will work on trying to call CDL lawyers in both VA and PA for further information on how Improper Driving is classified.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Board Icon

Improper Driving isn't a big deal in VA, 3 points and usually a slap on the wrist. The final official paperwork that was filed will show you being convicted for Improper, it will not show a reduced charge and you will only get the 3 points instead of the 6 points for Reckless. Basically, the Reckless charge never happened. The ticketed charge isn't official until the judge convicts you on that charge which it sounds like he/she did not convict you for Reckless. If someone asks, you got an Improper Driving charge, you did not get a Reckless charge.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Board Regular
Default Dont worry about it

Theres nothing you can do about it. The reason companies even Care so you know is insurance. If you're cool with their insurance carrier you'll be cool with them. This was Not in a commercial vehicle and you werent convicted of a reckless.

Sounds like PA does what ohio does.. the trucker tax. Pay us and it disappears. I got a 62 in a 60 from a jerk OH cop for passing a truck that kept switching between 50 and 60 every 5 seconds. Paid the ticket and its like it never happened.

Btw your lawyer must have rocked.