User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default tax writeoffs

hey whats up? i know tax season is a little far away but im wondering how tax writeoffs work, i know you get soo much perday and all but what about everything else. like i am keeping all scale reciepts and all even tho swift reembursts me... gov dont need to know that, i have saved receipts for everything down to the polos i keep in my truck for uniforms and batteries for my flashlights, how about you guys? im thinking im gonna get a good return this year, anyone have any examples? im a company driver with the great company with the blue and gold "S"........ best in class lol

----frank----
Old 08-04-2009, 04:58 PM

Well if you opted out for company per diem then you don't get to write anything off. Unless your a O/O or L/P there is very little you can write off as a company driver, especially if your company reimburses you for most expenses.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Very little? Check again.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:50 PM

I said if you opt out for company per diem there is very little to write off, if not then you can write everything off. If your a company driver you can write off meals, tools, showers, logs, maps, accessories, scales, tolls. As a company driver you don't get to write off the same things a O/O gets to since the company provides everything and a per diem everyday. I'm sure you can find a sleazy accountant that will have you writing off that $500 GPS and that new TV but if you get audited then good luck to you, better save those logs and receipts. My accountant said they're pretty strict with company drivers anymore, no different than a regular traveling employee.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TruckDrivinSunUvAGun View Post
Well if you opted out for company per diem then you don't get to write anything off. Unless your a O/O or L/P there is very little you can write off as a company driver, especially if your company reimburses you for most expenses.
If you believe that you really need an accountent that knows TRUCKING!
You can deduct just about everything you spend on the road or on the truck, Toss the scale tickets, no sense in sending up a red flag. Stick with the real/legal stuff. Ex. per deim ( The big one!) 85% of $52 a day
gloves boots work clothes tools battiers lights hotels Faxing calling cards ect. I think there cutting back on the cell phone use so be carefull there. Sorry but your meals fall under the per deim so can't claim them twice.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I said if you opt out for company per diem there is very little to write off, if not then you can write everything off. If your a company driver you can write off meals, tools, showers, logs, maps, accessories, scales, tolls. As a company driver you don't get to write off the same things a O/O gets to since the company provides everything and a per diem everyday. I'm sure you can find a sleazy accountant that will have you writing off that $500 GPS and that new TV but if you get audited then good luck to you, better save those logs and receipts. My accountant said they're pretty strict with company drivers anymore, no different than a regular traveling employee.
You can deduct that $500 GPS and your tv and your XM and alot more. I think you need to check with a GOOD tax firm that know's trucking

FORGET H R Block and the other cookie cutter tax places!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
If you believe that you really need an accountent that knows TRUCKING!
You can deduct just about everything you spend on the road or on the truck, Toss the scale tickets, no sense in sending up a red flag. Stick with the real/legal stuff. Ex. per deim ( The big one!) 85% of $52 a day
gloves boots work clothes tools battiers lights hotels Faxing calling cards ect. I think there cutting back on the cell phone use so be carefull there. Sorry but your meals fall under the per deim so can't claim them twice.
I do have a trucking accountant, like I said if you get a per diem you get to claim the essentials for doing your job, cell phones are done anymore. You can't go writing off everything in the world as a company driver with a per diem, if you do get audited have fun explaining all your expenses. My friend over at Knight Transportation was just audited and was told he couldn't write off meals, phone, hotels, scales, tolls, logs, boots, etc. They told him only what was required by the company and wasn't provided could be written off, since he chose their per diem option. You can write off anything but justifying it in case of an audit is another thing. Not calling you a liar just going by what I was told.

Last edited by 1TruckDrivinSunUvAGun; 08-04-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 08-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
I do have a trucking accountant, like I said if you get a per diem you get to claim the essentials for doing your job, cell phones are done anymore. You can't go writing off everything in the world as a company driver with a per diem, if you do get audited have fun explaining all your expenses. My friend over at Knight Transportation was just audited and was told he couldn't write off meals, phone, hotels, scales, tolls, logs, boots, etc. They told him only what was required by the company and wasn't provided could be written off, since he chose their per diem option. You can write off anything but justifying it in case of an audit is another thing. Not calling you a liar just going by what I was told.
Wow. Seriously, this is completely and utterly wrong. Meals are deductible (the last round of changes in 2008, it went to $52 per day at 80%), as well as hotels, scales, tolls, supplies, work-specific clothing, communications, etc. The only thing that company-paid per diem does is add untaxed revenue to your income. You still take the deductions the same way you would if you weren't receiving the per diem.

See IRS publication 463 for more information on the meal allowance, as well as what items are deductible when traveling away from home.

Whoever told you this stuff doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:03 PM

I called my friend Aaron over at Knight, the reason he got nailed was because he didn't save his logs and certain receipts for the past 3 years and wrote everything off. So in other words he had no proof he was on the road at those times. Just gotta save those things in case the tax man comes calling. Don't get me wrong, I write everything off within reason every year.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
I called my friend Aaron over at Knight, the reason he got nailed was because he didn't save his logs and certain receipts for the past 3 years and wrote everything off. So in other words he had no proof he was on the road at those times. Just gotta save those things in case the tax man comes calling. Don't get me wrong, I write everything off within reason every year.
Just because you don't have to CARRY the logs/receipts doesn't mean you shouldn't SAVE THEM. Your Uncle (ok - COMRADE) Sam can go back current year + 6 (7 year statute of limitations). Save EVERYTHING - if you're not computer savvy and have a scanner - make a zip-lock freezer baggie, write the month and year on it with a sharpie and throw EVERYTHING IN IT (including logs).

It's all about WHAT YOU CAN PROVE.

You'd be AMAZED what you can write off - as long as you can PROVE IT...

Rick