User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Leaving the military!

I am going to attend the western dakota tech school. The military is paying for it all, so i wont be needing any company training. I am looking at going OTR hopefully with a reefer company so i can get steady miles. I want to hit OTR for abut two years and then move to something regional or something local so my wife can go back to work. She is going to school for nursing during those two years OTR. I looking into May and Stevens Transport now. Any feedback would be cool.

My dad was in the business when i was a teen and i figure i would like it enough to make do for a while.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:26 PM

First of all, let me say thank you for doing what you did while you was serving our country. I dont know to much on the two that you listed so I cant help you there. There will be a few that will be able to give you all the information that you are looking for. BOL
Old 09-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Leaving the military!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpratt0826
I am going to attend the western dakota tech school. The military is paying for it all, so i wont be needing any company training. I am looking at going OTR hopefully with a reefer company so i can get steady miles. I want to hit OTR for abut two years and then move to something regional or something local so my wife can go back to work. She is going to school for nursing during those two years OTR. I looking into May and Stevens Transport now. Any feedback would be cool.

My dad was in the business when i was a teen and i figure i would like it enough to make do for a while.
First thank you for Serving, Now STAY in, you may regret it later on, most do regret getting out... If I could get back in I would not be trucking though I do enjoy trucking.

Pulling Reefer is not a a sure thing in getting miles. You will spend alot of time sitting at receivers such as Grocery warehouses. I do or did enjoy pulling a reefer, but the bad part is the long time to get unloaded, paying the lumpers to unload.

What I hear May is a fairly good Company. From what I read on another forum, they do use a 13 speed for a road test so be sure to learn the difference in the different gears.

Stevens I heard mixed stories. Not driven for them, just hear say, so take it as such. Some like it and some hate it. It all how you take it. But that going to be with any company.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Leaving the military!

Quote:

What branch were you in? About the not needing training from the company bit, you may not need schooling, but you'll still be subject to company training after school (usually around 40 days or so with a trainer), regardless. Honestly, I really can't say that I'd recommend getting started in this industry right now, but I have no alternatives to suggest, either.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Rookie

I just can not think of anything else to do with myself. I am coming out of the Air Force. I am aware of the trainer portion of getting started, i was refering to the actual driving school and then being stuck with a specific company for a year to 18 months.

Everyone seems to tell newbies not to get into he bussiness, but you guys seem to do it. I know that there are downsides to it, but i prefer it than the trips to the kitty litter land on the regular basis. I am away from my family that way, and would prefer to be gone while still in the USA. I was changing jobs within the military to a Military Suvival School Instructor. Unfortunately i got hurt and become just one of the numbers that didnt make it. Had surgery and got DQ from going back. That led to me getting out on my terms and not trying to stay for another go round.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, I know about kitty litter land.. I left a good portion of my leg there.

I got into it because I didn't heed the advice of those who told me not to get into it, and because I had this romanticised image of trucking in my mind, which I would imagine isn't exclusive to myself alone.
As for what else you could do with yourself, have you looked? There are plenty of trade courses available which will provide steady employment. I received EMT-P certification when I was on active duty, and I did that after my ETS date before I got a CDL and started driving a truck, and I may very well end up recertifying and going back into it. There are options out there, but you'll never find out what they are if you're expecting them to just come to you.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Rookie

Would there realisticly be enough money envolved in it to tie over a family for one to two years. My wife is planning on going to school, and my main goal is to suck it up and do it for two years or so. This way hopefully we could survive as a one encome family for a while.

Also May's website says their OTR drivers can average 11,000 miles a month. Is this a realistic number or smoke being blown up the you know what hole? They run Reefers and are coast to coaste from what i can see.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Would there realisticly be enough money envolved in it to tie over a family for one to two years. My wife is planning on going to school, and my main goal is to suck it up and do it for two years or so. This way hopefully we could survive as a one encome family for a while.

Also May's website says their OTR drivers can average 11,000 miles a month. Is this a realistic number or smoke being blown up the you know what hole? They run Reefers and are coast to coaste from what i can see.

That would depend alot on what kind of bills you have and your lifestyle. Any kids???

How much do you need to cover your bills and food? From what others here have said you can expect to earn appox 30 to 35K in your first year or two. I guess I got lucky and was the exception. I grossed over 50K my first year then went local at around 40K.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:08 AM
Rookie

Well we dont have that many bills, just the average. A car payment, rent and insurance. The military on the other hand has us in a nice house, and live pretty comfortabley. I need to make around 45K a year to be close to my pay and entitlements in the military. I know now is not a great time to leave the Air Force, but i want to and i am hardheaded.

I was also told i could make a decent paycheck hauling for a logging company and companies like coca cola. I cant seem to find to much info on the first one though. Any input on this?
Old 09-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't want to discourage you but it is unlikely that you will start at $45,000 with any carrier unless you have at least a couple of years experience. As we stated earlier, $30-35,000 is the norm. If this is something you really want to do then I would probably keep looking. There could be one around that might fit the bill for you. With the economy in a major slump you would probably be better off staying in the Air Force for the time being. Of course, only you can make that decision. Like most major career changes, you will need to pay your dues. It is almost a cliche'. There have been more than 2,000 carriers who have shut their doors since the first of the year. That has put more qualified drivers into the job market.