User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default At the end of my ropes, need some help

OK, I seem to be in a pretty big situation and every time I think I can get myself out, it hasn't been the case. Now its been 8 months and feel that I am screwed as hell. Here is the situation.

I got my CDL A with all endorsements from a technical college and shipped off to Werner for 8 months. There I got no tickets or accidents. I left when an app I put in for a local daycab job was hiring and got hired there. After 4 months I got layed off on 1/1/09 (figures). So I have 12 months of driving experience, only 8 are OTR, and I have not been able to get a single job.

Im 23 yrs old, no accidents, 1 speeding ticket in personal vehicle 2 yrs ago (before CDL). No criminal record, and live in Central Maine.

I have sent out literally 100 apps from everything from tow truck driver to OTR driver and between my age, experience, and location I have remained unemployed for 8 months. Think its worth giving up driving as a career? I am too poor to try and move south. Any tips or ideas I could do?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:59 AM

You said you sent out 100 apps did you hand in 100 paper apps? Or fill out a generic app for for a recruiting website? Those big recruiting websites usually don't pass your info along half are defunct now. Make sure you go to the company's website and fill one out or better yet fill out a paper fax or mail it in. Word of advice too once you fill out a app call a recruiter after you submitted it and go over it with them and let them know. Are you not eligible for re-hire at Werner? You will probably have to go back out with a trainer since you don't have recent experience but who cares. What did Swift tell you? CR England? Roehl? Millis? Prime? Central Refrigerated? Schneider? Covenant? TMC? Arrow? Heartland Express? Celadon? Stevens? US Xpress? Crete? Watkins Shepard? Butler Transport? CRST? FFE? Gordon? Knight? KLLM? Marten? Melton? Navajo? P.A.M.? USA Truck? PTL? Seward? SMX? Transport America? Wil Trans? Wiley Sanders? WEL? NFI? Pepsi? Coke? JB Hunt? Continental Express? Southern Refrigerated? Willis Shaw Express? Boyle? Cardinal Logistics? Gainey? Any household movers? Construction? LTL's? If you none of these pan out let me know.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Your age could hurt you with some carriers, mainly due to insurance. Your location can also be a problem with some carriers. But many do hire in New England. I agree with 1TruckDrivinSunUvAGun about sending in paper applications. I would have started with Werner since that is where you started. Making personal phone calls should also help. There is nothing like speaking with a live person. If your record is clean you should not have a problem finding a job. You may also check with your old school. Most have contacts in the industry to assist students in finding a job. The key is in persistence.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Heartland has not pulled the ads for "THE GREEN MILE" off their trailers. Don't know if they're in a hiring freeze or not, but you're right there. The Green Mile is New England. Extra pay to go there, and you already live there.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Rookie

Drychtnath4120 I feel your pain, don't give up if trucking is what you really want to do.

I had a similar experience, did 2 yrs OTR and then landed a local foodservice delivery position early last year. We had 2 facilities here in Minneapolis, at Thanksgiving they consolidated the 2 and closed our doors and needless to say there were many drivers and warehousemen without jobs.

The local driving positions had all dried up by that time, so I took a sales job just to pay the bills and kept up on the door knocking and physically going to locations and submitting apps. Needless to say it finally paid off and I landed a new local line haul job 3 weeks ago.

Best of luck to you, on a side note is pulling groceries for Hannaford Bros. an option in your area?
Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Board Icon