User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Charcoal Grill on Board

I'm sure this topic has come up before but here goes....

anyone have a grill on the truck?? company say anything about having charcoal and lighter fluid in the truck?
Old 05-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Plenty of places do say things about lighting a fire on their property. And have you given any thought as to what you are going to do with the ashes and left over coals when you are done?
Old 05-29-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001 View Post
Plenty of places do say things about lighting a fire on their property. And have you given any thought as to what you are going to do with the ashes and left over coals when you are done?
I would think a little propane unit would work nice. They have some compact units at Camping World like this;
Fold N Go 2-Burner Stove - Item - Camping World

You would still have an issue with the open flame, but it is small enough to stow away and would just need a small bottle of propane.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:28 PM
Senior Board Member

You can go to Wally World and buy a small gas grill that take those 1lb propane bottles for $20 or so.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Senior Board Member

I use mine everyday. I just pull into a rest area and put it on a picnic table. Use "Match Light" charcoal and it is ready to cook on in 5 minutes. My grill is very small and 4-5 pieces of charcoal is all I need to cook a couple hamburgers or a steak. I will put ribs in the crock pot in the morning and let them cook all day then put them on the grill when I stop at night.

A little douse of water and the fire is out.

I have a propane burner also I can heat things up on. I usually use it for omelettes. Mix eggs and whatever you want in them in a freezer bag, When you are ready for breakfast take one out of the cooler and put in a pan of boiling water......Instant omelette!!! I usually make a few up when I am home and put them in the fridge. I also have a rack you can put bread on and make toast on the burner.

I also use my 12 volt toaster oven alot for dinner. Makes good toasted ham and cheese and philly cheese steak sandwichs.

I hardly ever eat fast food or over priced truck stop crap.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:25 AM
Senior Board Member

I've never used this inside of my truck, but this is one of the better ones. Home Page | Jetboil
Old 05-30-2009, 04:52 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
I use mine everyday. I just pull into a rest area and put it on a picnic table. Use "Match Light" charcoal and it is ready to cook on in 5 minutes. My grill is very small and 4-5 pieces of charcoal is all I need to cook a couple hamburgers or a steak. I will put ribs in the crock pot in the morning and let them cook all day then put them on the grill when I stop at night.

I have a propane burner also I can heat things up on. I usually use it for omelettes. Mix eggs and whatever you want in them in a freezer bag, When you are ready for breakfast take one out of the cooler and put in a pan of boiling water......Instant omelette!!! I usually make a few up when I am home and put them in the fridge. I also have a rack you can put bread on and make toast on the burner.

I also use my 12 volt toaster oven alot for dinner. Makes good toasted ham and cheese and philly cheese steak sandwichs.

I'm coming to your truck for dinner!!! Where are you???? LOL

Old 05-30-2009, 05:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post

that match light charcoal is good, however i'm a pyro....i like alot of flame. =) but the gas grill is a good idea. no charcoal mess. However i would think i'd solve that problem with the ashes by getting a kitty litter bucket, and pouring them out in there, then discard the bucket when i was done. i dunno. i like the taste of charcoal, but might opt for the gas for the convience.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Wal Mart has a "table top unit" that may or may not be designed for multiple uses, but at $6 it's a single-use kinda deal for me. It comes with the grill and the charcoal. You can set it up, hit it with a match, cook your food, let the coals cool down, and then toss it. The unit is sealed in plastic wrap at the point of purchase, so you could ostensibly carry one or two with you at any given time.

My fantastic Memorial Day cheeseburgers convinced me that the $6 was well spent.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 05-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Well i went into Wal-Mart to buy a couple gallons of windshield wiper fluid, and ended up dropping $160.

Broke down and bought a Coleman Perfectflow camp grill. little propane bottle, etc. Also bought a small cooler and ice to keep meats...cause so far the coolers i've had in my truck dont keep things cool enough, and meat spoils after a few days if i dont use it right away.

anyway, the grill was $66 or something.

Now my question is, about the only place i could put the thing while at a truck stop would be on my catwalk. Then thought that might not be a great idea to cook with an open flame next to two 125gal desiel tanks. =) So i bought a couple small step stools to put the grill on when i am actually going to use it.

As far as cooking on the catwalk, dumb idea....or are there drivers out there who do it, and never have run into a problem??