User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hazmat endorsement

Quick question...I have a Class A CDL from IL. It expires in 2011. Currently, I do not have hazmat endorsement but I have tanker and doubles. I understand hazmat is good for five years and you need the background check/fingerprint deal just one time. How does that work? You get the fingerprint and background check first and you have to make an appointment to do that, correct? What is the cost and time frame to get the whole deal done? How do you go about doing it? If I were to get the endorsement now, will I have to (or can I) just get a renewal license good for a fresh 5 years with the added endorsement (since it is good for 5 years)? Or will I have to monkey around with the renewing my license then having to get a new one when the 5 years runs out to renew hazmat because the two dates will be out of sync? Thanks!
Old 03-17-2009, 05:27 PM

TSA: HAZMAT Endorsement Threat Assessment Program

You can also apply online at: http://www.hazprints.com/
Old 03-17-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHG0069 View Post
Great! Thanks for that link, BHG0069!

What about the overlap in my current expiration date and the hazmat endorsement itself? I get this background check, then go to take the test after I get confirmed that I am not a terrorist. I'm not going to have to keep renewing my CDL every two years (current CDL expires in 2011)? When will the new license expire with the added hazmat? In two years still? Then, I will have to renew it again in another three years because of hazmat?

Last edited by madaxeman; 03-17-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Board Regular

Got my hazmat last September, had 2 years left on present license, had to do the new background check, fingerprints and photo but it is only good for 2 years. When this one expires I will have to redo the background check again for the next 5 years. In January I applied for the TWIC card. Since I already had the HME and background check I had the option of the paying just over $100 for a 2 year (using the old background check) or going ahead and paying hte $132.50 (I think it was that) for a 5 year.

They got us coming and going!
Old 03-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655 View Post
Got my hazmat last September, had 2 years left on present license, had to do the new background check, fingerprints and photo but it is only good for 2 years. When this one expires I will have to redo the background check again for the next 5 years. In January I applied for the TWIC card. Since I already had the HME and background check I had the option of the paying just over $100 for a 2 year (using the old background check) or going ahead and paying hte $132.50 (I think it was that) for a 5 year.

Why would you have to pay for the entire process again after only two years...if HME is good for 5 years? IL licenses are only good for 4 years. Basically, I would have to pay $94 now, plus the cost to add the endorsement which is like $10. Then, I have to pay another $94 plus the cost for my three endorsements (tanker, doubles, hazmat) plus the cost of a new 4-yr license which is like ($25)...if Illinois doesn't raise the fees like they did for license plates.

Is the TSA so incompetent, they will lose your records every few years? My fingerprints are NOT GOING TO CHANGE!

The moral of the story is...
a)I should wait (at least) 30 days before my current license expires to get HME and background check and a new license?
b)Move to a state which has 5-yr licenses (like NC) and then get it?
c)Prepare to shell out close to $250 over the next two years for something I might never use or need?
d)Unless you haul placarded hazmat loads on a regular basis and are compensated, it is a money pit.
e)Write George to personally thank him for making it harder for me to find a job!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

I had the same problem. The state will not issue a hazmat endorsement unless your clearance letter is good for the full term of your cdl. Therefore once you get on the same cycle you still have to renew your background check every 4 years to meet the state's licensing requirements even if TSA says its good for 5 years. I guess the 5 years gives you some wigggle room but for all intents and purposes its really only 4 due to the state. After you do your fingerprinting they send you a letter. Then you just take the letter to the BMV and do the normal testing for hazmat.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655 View Post

Do yall haul HAZMAT loads? Or, are ya thinking about going to Fed Ex or something?

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 03-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Senior Board Member

The way it works in PA when i got my hazmat was. I took the test 1st and then the DMV gave me a letter to take to the state police for fingerprinting, Then the new CDL came in the mail.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Do yall haul HAZMAT loads? Or, are ya thinking about going to Fed Ex or something?
I was seriously thinking about trying to find something local I could be home each day with, unfortunately for me, about that time the bottom fell out of the economy and I decided I had better stay where I am until things kind of settle out before I go elsewhere. If I find something I definitely will grab it though!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7 View Post
I had the same problem. The state will not issue a hazmat endorsement unless your clearance letter is good for the full term of your cdl. Therefore once you get on the same cycle you still have to renew your background check every 4 years to meet the state's licensing requirements even if TSA says its good for 5 years. I guess the 5 years gives you some wigggle room but for all intents and purposes its really only 4 due to the state. After you do your fingerprinting they send you a letter. Then you just take the letter to the BMV and do the normal testing for hazmat.
It's a big money scam on the drivers who keep this country running! It clearly shows a half-*ssed communication system between agencies (in the country that created the internet). Go figure!