User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Sounds too good to be...uh, good.

Friend and co-worker who attended Swift school in Idaho, now runs team with her husband, texted me saying Swift has (or is going to) a O/O program that only requires 3 mo. from release to solo, experience and a truck payment that will get the truck paid off in 9 months.

Now i totally understand, this 'plan' (as any other plan) is set in motion only to make the company money. Now my guess is, these trucks are the high mile, 4-5year old+ trucks drivers have been turning in for the past half year. The truck payments will probably still be close to $500/wk, which, if the truck is paid off in 9 months, would net close to $20,000 per truck for Swift. Which is an extra $20,000 in their pocket per truck they would just write off anyways. And if they can get 100 drivers to bite on this 'deal', that is $2 mil in their pocket. Pretty good plan from an economic standpoint.

But i could not fathom paying $500 a week for a 5+ year old truck, with probably close to 600k miles or more.

any thoughts or ideas? Please keep your opinion of the company out of your response, because i really dont care about that, just your opinion on thoughts about this 'plan'.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Sounds like another garbage "We will sell you a truck cheap and if you fail we will take it back and resell it to someone else" program. They are just taking the new truck smell out of it.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
any thoughts or ideas? Please keep your opinion of the company out of your response, because i really dont care about that, just your opinion on thoughts about this 'plan'.
Seems one in the same to me, crap company with crap leasing plan.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
Seems one in the same to me, crap company with crap leasing plan.
and again....i didnt ask. If i were michigan, i'd sue you for giving me a bad name.

but then again, i should expect much in the way of quality response from either one of you. Please, someone with quality opinion and sense to help?

if either one of you took 3 seconds to actually read the post....you'd understand i kinda get the hint that there are companies out there (maybe most?) who i know take back a lease truck when a driver quits, and sells it as 'new' to the next driver. give me some credit....

Last edited by Kevin0915; 03-09-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:24 AM
Board Regular

I am sorta confused about what type of info. you are looking to get from this thread. Sounds as though you have already talked yourself out of it. On the other hand, if you are going to go thru with it make sure you have an attorney look over the lease details before you sign your dingleberries away. You seem more intelligent than most folks that get into a fleece program and I have no idea how long you have been driving but make sure you look at all options before you jump in.

Arguing on the C.B. is kinda like running in the Special Olympics, 'cause even if you win your still retarted.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:29 AM
Senior Board Member

just asking ones opinion on the 'program'. I havent talked myself in or out of it, and ill definatly read everything over, and wont sign anything unless i have answers to my questions. First one will be if it is a 'walk away' lease. heck, payments might not even be $500, but just using that as a ballpark. I dont have all the details myself, just listed the information i had and the logical guesses i could come up with.

thank you for a post that contained some actual thought.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
just your opinion on thoughts about this 'plan'.
Asked and answered, again what do you want? Do yourself a favor get 5 years in this buisness then make a decision on whether you want to be an O/O (not a lease operator)or not and then come back and ask those who know better.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Hmmmm...If either of us had read the post. I read it twice. You asked us for our thoughts and wanted us to keep our opinions of your company out of it. I gave you my thoughts and left the company bashing out of it. Lets see:

1) You only need about 3 months solo to get into this program.

2) They will probably want $500 a week for a wore out truck that may already be 4-5 years old.

3) You already know this plan is set in motion to make the company money.

4) And here is some sense for you. After being a company driver for 17 years and having the pleasure to see first hand how successful owner operators run their business in good times and bad I have come to this conclusion, Company drivers will always have work before an owner operator for the same company. A company isnt going to let their trucks sit with no freight and give the loads to an owner operator. In this business climate if you want to take that chance go on ahead.

If you want a truck so bad save your money and either put a huge downpayment on one to keep your payments low or buy one outright. There has never been a lease purchase program that has been worth a darn and I dont see this as one that is any different.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Senior Board Member

Knowing Swift like I do there is probably enough legal double talk in the contract to make a high priced NYC lawyer go "huh".
Old 03-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
Asked and answered, again what do you want? Do yourself a favor get 5 years in this buisness then make a decision on whether you want to be an O/O (not a lease operator)or not and then come back and ask those who know better.
5 years?? You must be a slow learner.

7 months "in this business" all as a O/O and I still have 4 years and 5 months to figure it out? I will be out of this business in 5 years and be on the lake fishing everyday. I should of listened to the know it alls and I could be bankrupt like alot of O/O by now.

Kevin save your money and buy a truck with a payment under $1,000 a month. You can borrow $35K for 3 years for $1,000 a month. Find a small company that has established customers. We hired 3 O/O this week to keep up with the weekly demand. The rates are down but they are still high enough to make a good profit if you aren't buried in a big payment.
Closed Thread