User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Jetfueljunkie's back; new screen name

Greetings all! It's been about two years since I frequented the board as jetfueljunkie; precisely the same amount of time since I retired from the Navy and embarked on the truck driving journey. Unfortunately, the only computer I had access to was the one at work, and just recently got one of my own. Forgot my old password, and couldn't re-activate the jetfueljunkie account with the new e-mail address, so had to re-register.

After much research and countless hours reading and re-reading advice from this board, I decided to throw in the towel with the Navy (22 years is long enough to get tired of ANY job) and try something new. I attended a 320 hour (8 week) CDL program at Bradford-Union Vo-Tech in Starke, FL, hoping at best to land a southeast regional driving position. At the time I thought I'd pursue a flatbed job where I could get some experience under my belt, then progress into tankers (I read Cyanide's tanker posts 'til I could nearly recite them word by word). To make a long story short, I was offered a position with Florida Rock & Tank Lines hauling dry bulk cement on a dedicated account with Florida Rock Industries (now a subsidiary of Vulcan Materials). Now here I am, two years later and I LOVE IT!!!!

Some very interesting statistics were quoted while I was in school regarding new drivers, and if success can be measured by beating the statistics, then I suppose my journey has been successful. Don't recall the exact figures (I'll try to find the exact numbers again to post later), but it was somewhere around 50% of driving school graduates will still be in driving jobs after the first year. The average first year driver will change companies 3-5 times in that year, and gross around $32-$35k. Again, two years later I'm still here, still with the same company I started with, and grossed just over $41k in my first 12 months.

As I began the process, I considered keeping a running diary of sorts to post here as has been done many times before. Regrettably, that idea was overcome by events and never materialized. Feeling an obligation to give something back to the board in appreciation for all the enlightenment I received here, I've decided to put up a series of posts dealing with the milestones of my journey, from preparation and school selection through the first solo year and beyond. My hope is that I can do my part to help any prospective drivers following the board by discussing what worked for me and what didn't, as well as my observations along the way.

So, thanks again to the administrators of this board and all those industry professionals who take time out of their busy days to post their pearls of wisdom here. You can be assured your efforts are very much appreciated, and have contributed immeasurably to my successful journey.

And for any prospective driver who happens to be reading this, let me assure you that you're already head and shoulders ahead of your peers simply by following this board. You'd be amazed (at least I was) how little thought and preparation many prospective drivers put into the decision to begin a driving career.

Makin' magic in a One-Stack-Mack-With-A-Window-In -Back:thumbsup:
Old 02-20-2009, 01:34 AM
Board Icon

Welcome back!

If you wish to use jetfueljunkie, I'm sure Rev, or GMAN can help ya out with that.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 02-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Welcome back!

If you wish to use jetfueljunkie, I'm sure Rev, or GMAN can help ya out with that.
Thanks, but it's not really a big deal. Probably should have sent a note to the administrator before I reregistered, but anticipated an exercise in futility. Jetfueljunkie was a play on my job in the Navy, and Rum Runner is my current CB handle. Either way, it's just great to be back

Makin' magic in a One-Stack-Mack-With-A-Window-In -Back:thumbsup:
Old 02-20-2009, 03:19 AM
Board Icon

I went ahead and merged your accounts. Jetfueljunkie no longer exists.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:48 AM
Board Icon

Amazing what you can do with a computer. :lol:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 02-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
Now here I am, two years later and I LOVE IT!!!!
Congrats on the retirement and the success that you have found in the industry.

Nothing like pulling a tank! I go over 3 years this month and LOVE IT!! also.
I can't imagine doing anything else. Best job that I have ever had.

Welcome back to the board....driver.

Quote:
And for any prospective driver who happens to be reading this, let me assure you that you're already head and shoulders ahead of your peers simply by following this board. You'd be amazed (at least I was) how little thought and preparation many prospective drivers put into the decision to begin a driving career.
Exactly! You were presented with the many different Class A driving options on this board. If a few had their way on this board, you would have never read or have been presented any options other than irregular-route OTR and might now be suffering through OTR for CPM, out for weeks at time and...........well probably would have ended up a statistic. The OTR apologists squeal that the local, over-dimensional, tanker, LTL etc., advocates on here are insulting them (OTR diehard types) by revealing many of the sad truths that are indeed facts about the state of OTR trucking today. In fact, we (other than OTR) were recently referred to as 'not truck drivers.' We are simply persons that have a job that requires us to drive a truck. Yep, that's their mantra. Weak, huh?

Glad to hear that you found your niche within the industry so quickly. No doubt due to all of the wise research that you took the time to do.

Note to the apologists. This is classadrivers.com.
Not OTRdrivers.com. BBRs

Last edited by belpre122; 02-20-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:43 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Some very interesting statistics were quoted while I was in school regarding new drivers, and if success can be measured by beating the statistics, then I suppose my journey has been successful. Don't recall the exact figures (I'll try to find the exact numbers again to post later), but it was somewhere around 50% of driving school graduates will still be in driving jobs after the first year. The average first year driver will change companies 3-5 times in that year, and gross around $32-$35k. Again, two years later I'm still here, still with the same company I started with, and grossed just over $41k in my first 12 months.

Welcome back, RumRunner. Those figures are interesting. It would be good to find out why so many people leave the industry during the first year. From posts that I have seen on this and other boards I am not surprised. I am glad that you found a job you enjoy.

As a footnote, this board is for all class A drivers and those who have an interest in the industry. It isn't just for otr drivers. There are a couple of local drivers who like to berate the otr drivers but we all drive trucks. I don't see one is necessarily better than the other. It has more to do with personal preference.