User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 03:08 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Parking Brake?

So I just finished feeder school with UPS. As a package car driver we are taught to put on our parking brake and put the truck in gear. That way you are doubled up and less likely the truck will roll away. However, in feeders we were told to leave the truck in neutral and set tractor brake. I asked why, but the trainers weren't sure. Does it harm something on the tractor to leave it in gear when parked?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Schneider told us to put it in 2nd and set the brake.. i don't do this because i have a bad habit of cutting the truck on and its in gear and its start rattling lol.. so i just put it in netural.. i've always seen my people's put it in neutral also..
Old 02-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown67 View Post
So I just finished feeder school with UPS. As a package car driver we are taught to put on our parking brake and put the truck in gear. That way you are doubled up and less likely the truck will roll away. However, in feeders we were told to leave the truck in neutral and set tractor brake. I asked why, but the trainers weren't sure. Does it harm something on the tractor to leave it in gear when parked?

In days gone by, if the brakes failed while the truck was parked, and the truck actually started to roll, having the transmission engaged would start the engine.

With the electronic injectors of today, that is not likely to happen. Leaving the tranny in nuetral does to things, it prevents clutch and tranny damage, if a driver starts the truck improperly.... plus if the truck is an automatic...you don't shut off the engine, while the tranny is in gear. That will jam the tranny into that gear, and is tough to get out.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
if the truck is an automatic...you don't shut off the engine, while the tranny is in gear. That will jam the tranny into that gear, and is tough to get out.
I did that a couple weeks ago and it cost me $50 (was cheap) My auto shift will go into a SM code when you are doing alot of pullups while backing in. When it goes into SM code it will not go into reverse. The only way to clear the SM code is shut the truck off.

The transmission will go into neutral when you shut the truck off if you have 100lbs of air in both tanks. I was in a hurry to get backed in because there were other trucks waiting on me and had a brain fart and didn't check the air gauges. Dead in the water because the truck will only start in neutral. I had all the docks blocked while I waited for a service truck to come and give me some air. Had to tap into the air drier to fill the tanks. He only charged me $50 for the service call.

I got home and put a air chuck on the fitting coming out of the air compressor and bought a air hose that goes on the glad hand. If I ever get stupid again I can atleast fill the tanks from another truck and get my truck started.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Senior Board Member

In days gone by, if the brakes failed while the truck was parked, and the truck actually started to roll, having the transmission engaged would start the engine.

even with the ign key off ? how ?