User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Personal question...what kind of lube do you use? ;-)

5th wheel lube that is. HAHAHA. I cant remember what i bought, but for the life of me, i could not ever get my 5th wheel to slide. I finally had a load a month ago, where my steers were 12,400. I've gone thru scales where i was 100 or 120 over...but they usually let me slide on those...thinking i just have full fuel tanks. However this once, i knew i had to pass about 3 scales before i made the final, and decided to stop and actually do what i needed to do, and force that 5th wheel to slide. It ended up sliding, and wound up with 10k on my steers.

I am waiting for a load right now, so i shot up my holes and pins with degreaser, cleaned all the gunk and dirt out of them....and shot up the slide plate, and the pins/holes with this 'lube'. It is like WD-40, but it has something else in it, giving it slightly more thickness than just WD-40.

I wondered what everyone used for their 5th wheel lube, and how to freely keep that thing sliding easily.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
5th wheel lube that is. HAHAHA. I cant remember what i bought, but for the life of me, i could not ever get my 5th wheel to slide. I finally had a load a month ago, where my steers were 12,400. I've gone thru scales where i was 100 or 120 over...but they usually let me slide on those...thinking i just have full fuel tanks. However this once, i knew i had to pass about 3 scales before i made the final, and decided to stop and actually do what i needed to do, and force that 5th wheel to slide. It ended up sliding, and wound up with 10k on my steers.

I am waiting for a load right now, so i shot up my holes and pins with degreaser, cleaned all the gunk and dirt out of them....and shot up the slide plate, and the pins/holes with this 'lube'. It is like WD-40, but it has something else in it, giving it slightly more thickness than just WD-40.

I wondered what everyone used for their 5th wheel lube, and how to freely keep that thing sliding easily.

Good to see you're not afraid to slide the 5th...But I bet your tires are rated atleast 6,250 lbs a piece ,so 12,500 is legal steer weight .
Old 02-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Senior Board Member

my last mentor, the one who was anal about getting 7mpg? he taught me a little bit about when/how to slide. It helps fuel mileage a little to have proper ballance. easier to 'pull' a load than to push it.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Senior Board Member

This is the sh*t that you want:

If this sh*t won't free something up, then it's time to get out the torch.

We don't bother with WD40 anymore at the shop, we use PB Blaster.

It stinks like sh*t, but it DOES work.

Once you get it freed up, keep it free by spraying some Blaster on the slides & pins & sliding it periodically.

Last edited by Kranky; 02-07-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Senior Board Member
Default It's been so long since I've looked and . .

. . it's cold out, so I'm not looking now.

In most states, the only steer weight limit is the rating of your tires. CA is an exception at either 12000 or 12500. I was told, ages ago, the Michelins we use are good for 13500. I have had the weighmaster at an OR scale come out to check them. He came out, looked, didn't say a word, went back in, green lighted me and that's all I know.

As far as lubing the 5th wheel goes, it's included in the B service, every 30k miles, whether it needs it or not. I've never had a problem with it and thus, never bought anything. I've helped a few Drivers who were having trouble moving it. They seem to forget to either lower the landing gear, deflate the bags, or both. You can't just throw the switch and slide.

For personal lube, I use and recommend "Slick Lizard". It's a byproduct of the Flying J refining process. Slicker 'n snot on a silk sleeve!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Senior Board Member

I use and recommend "Slick Lizard.. this could be refered to as something else. lol.

I use the slick disk. the big black teflon thing that looks like a oversized 45 rpm record
Old 02-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswans View Post
. . it's cold out, so I'm not looking now.

In most states, the only steer weight limit is the rating of your tires. CA is an exception at either 12000 or 12500. I was told, ages ago, the Michelins we use are good for 13500. I have had the weighmaster at an OR scale come out to check them. He came out, looked, didn't say a word, went back in, green lighted me and that's all I know.

As far as lubing the 5th wheel goes, it's included in the B service, every 30k miles, whether it needs it or not. I've never had a problem with it and thus, never bought anything. I've helped a few Drivers who were having trouble moving it. They seem to forget to either lower the landing gear, deflate the bags, or both. You can't just throw the switch and slide.

For personal lube, I use and recommend "Slick Lizard". It's a byproduct of the Flying J refining process. Slicker 'n snot on a silk sleeve!
where can you buy that PB Blaster stuff?

as far as 'lubing the 5th wheel', i'm talking about the sliding pins, etc., not the plate itself. I know the plate gets lube, but i'm more interested in the sliding surface, pins/holes..etc.

good info...thanx guys...(and/or gals)
Old 02-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
where can you buy that PB Blaster stuff?

as far as 'lubing the 5th wheel', i'm talking about the sliding pins, etc., not the plate itself. I know the plate gets lube, but i'm more interested in the sliding surface, pins/holes..etc.

good info...thanx guys...(and/or gals)
I know ACE Hardware generally carries it. Also many auto parts stores should have it. It isn't that hard to find. And like Kranky said a couple of shots of that shat works well.